No motivation?

Options
So many people post about their lack of motivation or are looking to others to help them stay motivated. The motivation really has to come within yourself. The motivation has to be that you want something better for your SELF. If you want to lose weight, think of the reasons you want to lose weight. You have to have reasons. To look better in your clothes? To improve your health? To be able to get up the stairs? THAT is your motivation.

If you can't stay motivated, maybe you haven't figured out your "why" yet. One of the best ways to do that is to think about how you will feel when you complete your goal. How are you going to FEEL when you put on a bathing suit and you aren't embarrassed? How are you going to FEEL when you pull on a pair of flattering jeans? Make a list.

If those feelings don't motivate you, you probably are just not ready.

Replies

• haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I agree totally with your post. I have been overweight for more than 10 years, never trying to lose weight. But, it wasn't until 8 months ago when I realized I turned 40 this year & have my 20th wedding anniversary (2 major milestones in the same year) for me to get serious. It was as though the light finally came on! My DH has tried losing weight in the past, but he never once pushed me to lose weight…it was never an issue.

My goal is very high, just because why settle for something mediocre? We've already paid off $106k in debt, so why not get down to my weight 20 years ago (losing 106 lbs!?)! Having a huge motivation with a deadline is huge!!! Over the summer, I was kinda ok with losing 4 lbs/month, but why?! After much research why I was only losing 4 in a month & searching within myself, I found that I needed to get my boot aye in gear to make a significant difference in my appearance for my husband & my family (close & extended) by Thanksgiving!

Set A Date to achieve your goal!! I didn't want to have to tell others that I've been losing weight, I want them to tell me I've been losing weight!! Yes, it does involve a lot of bunny food, water, & sweat, but it's so worth it! My original goal was to lose 106 lbs in 8 months, not realistic I know, but it was a goal! Now, I'm just 1 lb away from losing 70 lbs by my anniversary on Thanksgiving Day.

Anyone can lose the weight, it is just a matter of determination. If something is not working, change it up by eating less and/or sweating more, & drinking more water! <3

Add me if you'd like! :)
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think that the prob most people have isn't that they're not motivated. They're just not motivated consistently. Having lost and gained and lost and gained too many times to mention over my past 50 years on the planet, I speak from experience. I've been highly motivated for lengths of time, very solid on my "why," and all that good stuff. And have gone through times when I really just didn't care. The "why" just wasn't that important to me for whatever reason.

What is interesting is that during my highly motivated times, I always regretted my behaviours from my unmotivated times. HOWEVER - I never regretted my motivated actions during times that I wasn't motivated. In other words, during those periods of time when I didn't care, I never once said "Gee, I wish I hadn't walked so much or eaten so well last year."

I'm on the journey again - I'm at the top of my weight, and I just crawled back here a couple of days ago. What I'm hoping to do differently this time is when I hit those unmotivated windows of time, I want to remind myself of how much I'll thank myself later. I will regret bad choices some day but I doubt I'll regret good ones, no matter what my status of motivation.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My initial motivation almost 4yrs ago was seeing that my health was gradually deteriorating....at my heaviest, high blood pressure, and constant left hip pain, early signs of osteoporosis, not feeling good about my body image, and feeling blah. I'd remember how it made me feel years prior when I first lost weight, exercised, and ate better. I wanted...no I NEEDED that feeling back again.

I finally realized that motivation will fizzle from time to time. So, I don't depend on motivation but now exercise as scheduled "structured time or me time" (saw that little motto in the book Younger Next Year for Women...check it out). I exercise, make balanced food choices, and look for joy in my life. It's MY life and if I don't take care of MY temple no one else can.

Everyone has that "aha" moment...some sooner or later.