food scales...necessary or obsessive

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why can't you weigh the sushi?

take the scale with you. I'm totally taking mine the next time I go for brazillian- I really would like to know how much I eat- it's all you can eat and it's not like you go get a serving and bring it back to the table- the servers bring the meats on a skewer- so you eat some- then wait- then eat some then wait. you never see ALL the food at once.

I just couldn't see myself doing that. but sashimi is low calorie, so if i over estimate...i figure I am in the clear.

Lulz- you hang out with enough body building types- you see scales go everywhere- they don't eat out often- but they drag those suckers everywhere sometimes. It's funny.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think a food scale is a necessity to help with portion control. You'd be suprised what 4oz of meat really looks like compared to what you think it is. Meat is pretty much the only thing I weigh, but it's still a good thing to have around.

As for grief, I get it all the time from my girlfriend. She thinks I'm obsessed because I weigh and measure things. It always makes for a good argument! I don't give a crap personally because I'm doing it for me not her. But I'm sure some people might not like it.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty necessary especially for meats. Also, before I got the scale I wondered how to measure tortellinis. Do I just pour them in to the measuring cup and let them fall naturally or can I fit them together like I'm playing Tetris? :wink: With the scale it's put the dish on, zero it out, put the pasta on to desired weight, zero it out, add the sauce to desired weight. I love my scale :bigsmile:

ETA: Also very helpful for fruits, baked potato, I could go on and on. There are a lot of foods that are difficult to measure out accurately. I don't consider it obsessive at all; if you are counting calories then it's pretty hard to do so without a scale.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Necessary! Was overestimated a lot.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find my food scale helpful. You can lose weight without one. I don't think it's obsessive.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot and can't live without my scale. I also prefer the grams over ounces for most things. If you primarily buy prepackaged food it's probably not necessary. I do think they are very useful to learn portion control for those who have issues in that area.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feel they are necessary. I found I was wayyyy under estimating portions. No wonder I was always hungry and then bingeing. My scale measures in grams and ounces. So I can, measure dry foods and measure meat by the ounce.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's a helpful tool to use to teach portion control.
    It's a helpful tool to use if you need to increase the accuracy of your intake estimations.
    It's a helpful tool to use if you are not getting the results you are expecting.

If you are making reasonable progress without it, it is not necessary.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    For me necessary. I like accuracy. Seems pointless to keep a record of calories consumed, without accuracy. Guessing seems meaningless to me.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything. It was a shock to see how a slice of bread varies by weight so much compared to just using the "1 slice = 110 cals" on the package. It worked in my favor and a slice and a half on the food scale equaled the amount of grams that the package was quoting for 110 cals.

I also was shocked to see how small 2 TBSP is. I used to just eyeball how much peanut butter, almond butter, etc. I was using. Measuring it out in grams shows you really what it should look like.

I live with my SO, and he's thin and doesn't really watch what he eats, but I do all of the cooking, so he's got no problem with me using the food scale. He commented this morning about how small I looked when I woke up this morning so he's definitely seeing how helpful it is for me. :) I weighed out my dry pasta last night too, and boiled it in a separate pot from the much larger serving of pasta that he ate for dinner. It also gives me peace of mind when I get out of work and see that I still have a whopping 650 cals left for dinner, and I am 100% sure that the count is accurate, because I weigh everything I eat throughout the day, so I'm more confident using those 650 cals and not second guessing if I really can have a slice of cheese on my veggie burger, or what have you.

I like the scale I have, and when I measure out condiments or soft foods, I have these glass 1-cup prep bowls that I tare out on the scale, fill with the smaller quantity of the food (like almond butter for example), and then I use just what's in the prep bowl that I've weighed. I do this every morning for my almond butter or PB on my toasted english muffin.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As Sidesteel said, it is just a tool. A very useful tool depending on your situation. If you're like me and have a lot to lose and a healthy deficit, it is less critical than it is for someone with 20lbs and a small deficit.

But, I like to be as accurate as possible so I can troubleshoot any issues that come up and develop the habits I will need later on.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    There are some things in the grocery store that have under serving size "1/4 of package" or some such nonsense. I definitely use it for that. I have used it for avocadoes, cheese, ketchup, bbq sauce, crackers, nuts, hummus. If I am ever in doubt, out comes my scale. I promise I don't bring it out with me, though, that's just crazy. :)
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    both let's see how do I want to write this..mehh I'm not in a mood to be serious so I will do this in a happier manner.

Scales are like mirrors, it is a requirement to know where you stand but too much of it can be a bad thing. I have been up and down with scales for most of my existence. I honestly think they just have it out to get me^^ But there have been numerous occasions where I would check the scale 2 or 3 times a day during my journey just to reconfirm my confirmation of a confirmed weight gain lol. It was entirely obsessive almost as obsessive as my need to loose the weight. I feel as though you need to have some control of it or it will completely wreck you. Maybe once every two weeks just so you know your place but please don't overdo it. Weight loss is a steep journey in its own right, there is no need to self sabotage yourself while you're on the trip :)

Cheers,

Tof

errr the topic was about food scales T_T

errr.....the same rules apply lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    OBSESSIVE!!!!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh your food, you don't track macros IMO
  • ScarlettWindsor
    Options
    I weigh everything that needs weighing. If it is pre packaged then no, the work is done for you. I used to just grate as much cheese as I thought was enough onto my jacket potato and spoon on the beans, that is until I figured out how many cals it had so now I weigh each ingredient to be precise. If I cook a cottage pie I will again weigh absolutely every ingredient down to the last carrot then eat a quarter and feel totally comfortable knowing the amount of calories I am putting in.

My husband thought I was a little obsessive at first until he saw my body change then he asked me do the same for him. I would recommend getting yourself a set of scales, weigh what needs to be weighed and don't worry about what anybody thinks and when you get the bod you want you can be proud of yourself and indulge in the compliments that hubby will give you. Good Luck :smile:
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about buying a food scale but to only to really measure meats. Maybe the more I use it I'll use it for other foods.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I only use it for weighing meat (chicken, fish, steak, etc.) I don't weigh *everything* I eat, and I'm damn well not taking it with me to restaurants. Personally, I find it useful, but if it were to break, I wouldn't break my legs running out to get a new one. I lost nearly 70 pounds without one.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Totally up to you. I weigh most things, and I have actually brought my scale to some restaurants (and it made such a difference!). I don't consider it obsessive. I consider myself informed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing veggies and the like, but I do weigh calorie dense foods like nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc. I also weigh out meat. I don't worry about going out to eat and bringing my scale or anything...that's obsessive...but simply weighing food and ingredients, etc...well, I worked in the restaurant industry for awhile and it's fairly common.

I'm actually much better at "eyeballing" things now...sometimes I just play around and I'll grab a handful of something and say, "that look like about 30g...yup...31 g, close enough."