Introduce Myself

Options
Hey Everyone. My name is Liz, and I am new to this website. I had a sleeve procedure done on 11/6/13. It was not painful at all, and I went home the next day without complications. I've now been home for 17 days or so. I had my first weight loss trial on 4/23/13 and weighed 255 pounds. I started the educational portion of the program, and was eventually assigned a surgery date in August. At the same time I found out I had a pretty severe shoulder injury and needed a shoulder replacement. I met with my surgeon (who is wonderful), shared the shoulder information with him, and hoped to move right on to WLS and postpone the shoulder surgery until fall. My doctor disagreed, however. He was worried that I would damage my shoulder more, or that it would deteriorate further during the interim. I went ahead and had the shoulder surgery done on July 31, and had to have a surgery revision on 8/16/2013. He cautioned me that i needed to keep on losing weight until I had the sleeve procedure done.

So...... the surgery went very well. By the time I was operated on I had lost down to 213, which is a net loss of 42 pounds. Since my surgery 16 days ago I have lost about 16 pounds. I was very disappointed to step on the scale today and see that I have actually GAINED a couple pounds! Is that normal? I am eating 5 or 6 times a day and have moved toward more "table food" than special food at supper. But I am careful not to eat more than 4 or so ounces at once, and to eat healthy food. Some days I count calories, but I don't count them every day.

I would love to hear from some other people whether or not my experience is normal or if it is unique. I am hungry a lot. Maybe it is head hunger .... how can you tell? How do you retrain yourself to recognize only stomach hunger? If I had control of my eating habits, I wouldn't be overweight to start with. I know that WLS is only a tool, and not a guarantee of anything. I think I need a tool to learn how to handle that tool.