newbie trying to figure this program out

Options
Hello, I am looking for some help in understanding this program, I entered 90 minutes for my daily workout, but it is only reading the treadmill time as that is the only exercise I can put a time in for. My strength training, which is a big part of my workout it not being calculated in. It is showing I have only done 30 mins of a workout. Why is that? Thanks :)

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification: Are you talking about manually entering your exercise in that section of the app?
  • medievalchick
    Options
    Yes :)
  • medievalchick
    Options
    Sorry, maybe thats not what im talking about, when I started it asked my workout goal and how many days, I put 90 mins and 6 days a week. So right now it is showing 30/90 but I did a 90mjn workout, only 30 mins on treadmill. I hope that helps you understand where I am confused
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love you spunkiness on your profile pic!!! The strength training doesn't really get logged as actual minutes. I don't really look @ how many minutes I workout, what matters are the calories burned, tracking it on my hrm. I usually workout about 90 minutes/day also.

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd look into a heart rate monitor for your strength training sessions for accurate calories burned and then you can just manually enter the number on here. I'm investing in a Polar FT4 watch monitor at the end of the month that I'm pretty excited about. It's just under $60 on Amazon. I'm sure other people have more HRM suggestions than I do.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'd look into a heart rate monitor for your strength training sessions for accurate calories burned and then you can just manually enter the number on here. I'm investing in a Polar FT4 watch monitor at the end of the month that I'm pretty excited about. It's just under $60 on Amazon. I'm sure other people have more HRM suggestions than I do.

HRM is pointless for strength training and will be inaccurate. They are designed for steady state cardio... Strength training doesn't get logged into MFP as time; however, you can buck it and enter it in Cardio (search for strength/resistance) and put the time there.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can log in your weights and reps under strength training to track your progress, but if you want to track some calorie/minutes credit, you have to also log your strength training under cardio. I use "Calisthenics" if I am doing several sets with rest in between. I use "Circuit training, general" if I am doing super sets with little to no rest between exercises (to get my heart rate up). The other posters are correct in that you will get a more accurate read from a HRM as far as calories burned, but you can also get a general idea from the above approach and at least feel like you are successfully meeting your goals each week. Hope that helps!!
  • medievalchick
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, I have gotten help with figuring out and I now know how to put in the correct burned calories and time for what I have done. And thanks for the pic comment, I love it too :)