Fabulous Women

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
I watched this documentary last night and I really just had to share it. It's about an hour long but it's worth it to be get to know these "little old ladies". This is how I've always seen myself growing old. Not only did they inspire me in how I want to be in the future, but they've inspired me to want to change the here and now. I adore their individuality. Women dread growing old and the aging process but it just doesn't have to be housecoats, slippers, and crossword puzzles. We can be fabulous til the end. I only wish that my grandmother had lived her life this way. Right now, she sits in a home at age 94 and waits for it all to be over. I refuse to go out that way.

http://seniorplanet.org/dont-dress-your-age-six-inspiring-women-say-no-to-drab/

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My grandmother rode horses up until she died, with her oxygen tank even. She rode in a club and they gave her and her horse the "century award" since the age of the rider and horse was over 100.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My mom passed at 81...but she traveled up until then. Life is made to live..not made to sit around and wait for things to happen!. I agree..I plan on doing what I want till the day I die..

Then in contrast..I have a 75 year old aunt living with me..who is one of those.."waiting to die" old ladies...its rough...and disappointing...and so so sad..
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It surprises me so much that my grandmother gave up. She was always fiery. I think when my Grandfather passed and all of her friends too, she just kind of gave up. I think physical activity is so key here. She was never active and her body has paid the price. Medically, there is nothing wrong with her at all. She is just very old and very tired.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sure this thread was about me.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My grandmother rode horses up until she died, with her oxygen tank even. She rode in a club and they gave her and her horse the "century award" since the age of the rider and horse was over 100.

That is amazing! Good for her!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My grandmother passed away a few years ago...she was 87 and to this day I remember the last time I saw her (3 days before she passed). I went to her place for a little visit. I pull up in the driveway and she is up on the roof by herself repairing a vent that had wind damage. lol She also tended a full acre garden every spring all by herself. Amazing woman!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sure this thread was about me.

This is why I :heart: you :)