exercise tips while suffering from ankle / leg injuries

Options
Any exercise tips from over 60s trying to shed pounds?

Having recently retired, I am focussing on getting really fit and back to my target weight of thirteen and a half stone. A stone and a half lost so far, four to go.

Regarding exercise. An ankle injury makes slow running, my favourite form of exercise, difficult I walk regularly but not much else. My GP is hoping that surgery on my ankle might be possible but obviously running long distances may still not be possible.

Swimming is not really my thing and I'm afraid London UK traffic makes cycling too dangerous. I have taken up gym memberships in the past but prefer the open air.

It would be great to hear from other senior slimmers about exercise regimes that work for them in spite of an ankle or leg injury.

Best of luck everyone

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I have posterior tibial tendinitis in both of my feet (I'm a supinator and it is one of the banes of our existence) and unfortunately, running is not something I can do anymore. I tried to force the issue for a year and have ended up spending weeks on end with my cane or on crutches do to flare ups after running (sometimes would be ok and then sometimes a simple 4 mile run would leave me walking with my cane for 2 weeks). I've finally determined that it's stupid to keep doing that to myself, even as much as I enjoy it. I've taken up cycling instead and so long as I'm not doing much in the way of high impact aerobics I can easily lift weights and get in the squat rack and dead-lift, etc without problems...it's the running and other high impact aerobics that get me.

I primarily cycle now and I cross train with some swimming in the warmer months. I also walk quite a bit and walk stairs for 20 - 30 minutes about once per week to cross train. Personally, I prefer the open air myself...but if I couldn't cycle outside I'd resign myself to spin classes or something at the gym.
  • dc5729
    dc5729 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi cwolfman13

Thanks for your great post. My ankle problem is minor compared with yours and yet you obviously get much more exercise. Brilliant!

I think cycling might be the answer for me. My generous colleagues gave me lovely retirement present recently, enough to pay a third towards a decent fold up cycle. I already do a canal and park walk. A fold up bike could take me further afield with the option of getting the bus and tube home.

A few minutes googling shows there are plenty of off road cycle routes around London. There is even an off road London to Brighton annual ride of 75 miles. I'm going for that.

Thanks again
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and retired this year also.
    And developed plantar fasciitis that side-lined my walking routine ( where sciatica, bursitis and arthritis didn't)

I joined a gym last month and started on their stationary bikes. Have included/migrated to ellipticals. I can use them without substantial pain.
    Just an idea.

P.s. I was looking at a bicycle, but we've had a spat (6) of recent hit-and-run cyclist deaths. That and price of a new carbon fiber Fuji put me off. :/
  • dc5729
    dc5729 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yes fasciitis is the problem I have with my ankle. I can manage about 3 or 4 miles pain free walking but only at about 3 mph so not a great deal of cardio benefit.

You are right about the dangers of cycling on the public highway. I'll be sticking to off road tracks if I do get a bike.

Best