Tuna Salad

Options
hikezilla
hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
My wife makes tuna salad out of tuna, miracle whip, and sweet pickle relish. I do not like it. So we have widely differing opinions on the subject of tuna salad.

I use chunk light tuna, in the foil pack. I usually get the 12oz size, drain it, and dump it in a mixing bowl. I then add about 1/2 cup of diced celery, 1/2 cup of diced sweet red bell pepper, 1/2 cup of diced green bell pepper, 1/4 diced onions, 1 tablespoon of any kind of dijon mustard, a couple squirts of lemon juice, black pepper to taste, and a few dashes of Old Bay seafood seasoning. Mix it all up with about a 1/4 cup of low fat mayonnaise.

I have sometimes added diced cucumber or diced dill pickle to the tuna salad as well.

I like to eat it on rye toast with fat free swiss cheese, and some bib lettuce, maybe a slice of tomato.

If you don't want the toast, slice up a cucumber, and put the tuna on that, eat them like little tuna cucumber cookies.

Once done I divide it up into 6oz servings...makes about three and a couple bites.

Replies

• Breepa123
    Breepa123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazingly similar to the tuna salad my grandma always made (minus the bell peppers, and she used hard boiled egg in hers) and I've always loved it, so I need to give this a try. One question though: I noticed with my grandma's that even though she used mild onions, the entire container of tuna salad took on an onion taste. So I've always made it without onion and added some sliced or chopped onion to my sandwich so that I can have the tuna salad for a few days without the onion overpowering the rest of the ingredients. How do you keep yours from getting overly onion-y?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    My favorite nicoise recipe is Alistair Little's

http://caveskitchen.com/?p=579
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazingly similar to the tuna salad my grandma always made (minus the bell peppers, and she used hard boiled egg in hers) and I've always loved it, so I need to give this a try. One question though: I noticed with my grandma's that even though she used mild onions, the entire container of tuna salad took on an onion taste. So I've always made it without onion and added some sliced or chopped onion to my sandwich so that I can have the tuna salad for a few days without the onion overpowering the rest of the ingredients. How do you keep yours from getting overly onion-y?

I don't....I try to use mild onions...green onions are WAY too strong. I like the idea of adding them when getting ready to eat it instead of the whole batch. I LOVE hard boiled egg in my tuna but we don't eat eggs around here...egg yolks anyway...so I do put a 1/2 cup of scrambled Egg beaters in it from time to time...my mom used to make a salmon salad, and she liked to sprinkle dill weed on it or in it....I wonder if dill weed would go well with it.
  • yoriemomof4
    Options
    Sweet onions wont overwhelm it. My aunt always put tomatoes in hers and I got to liking it that way and its awesome.