How hard do you push yourself?

Options

Replies

• Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Some days I push myself through a workout, but nowhere near to the point of vomiting. I ease up a bit, find motivation to keep going, and then my second wind kicks in.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't over think this, listen to your body. Pull back slightly until your body adapts to your activity level.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Not near hard enough, my inner coach was paid off by the fat kid lurking beside him.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have felt like vomiting in a race or in CrossFit but I never have. When I feel like I am going to toss my cookies, I back off and go at more of a recovery rate for thirty seconds or a minute. In CF, I feel this way every couple of weeks but I am newer to it. I don't mind feeling like this at a competitive event but I certainly don't want to puke every day.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    No, why would you do that? I like to enjoy my exercise. I could never understand people who literally make themselves sick by exercising too hard, and then go BACK to exercising. That seems like disordered behavior to me. :ohwell:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have learned to listen to my body. It has never once told me it is a good idea to workout until I get sick.

I push myself to a good point, to better my last workout - most of the time. Some days are not going to be that good & I realize it. There are also times, like when I've had way too little sleep for a few days & way too much stress, when I feel drained without doing a workout. On those days I skip the workout in favor of rest, destressing, and extra sleep. My body always thanks me for this. Stress & lack of sleep make me gain weight & fat. When I am well-rested & relaxed that fat practically melts away like magic.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No, why would you do that? I like to enjoy my exercise. I could never understand people who literally make themselves sick by exercising too hard, and then go BACK to exercising. That seems like disordered behavior to me. :ohwell:

You're not competitive are you? :bigsmile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This is concerning to read that people push themselves to the point of vomitting. It is even worse hearing people keep going afterwards.

I think people are getting way too inspired by certain fitness/gameshows that are on now adays. Could be skewing perceptions as to what is healthy exercise and just plain idiotic (done for ratings)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

So making yourself puke is competitive?...please see your psychologist asap.
  • Msergoi1
    Options
    There is no need to train that hard! This is a life long journey. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!
  • QuietBloom
    Options

So making yourself puke is competitive?...please see your psychologist asap.

LOL! Are you serious? Did you even read my post original post? Perhaps do that, and then get back to me. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    There is no need to train that hard! This is a life long journey. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!

I do. It's called a HRM. And yes, if you do serious cardio and racing, every now and then you are gonna push until you almost puke. No harm done, and incredible gains in strength and endurance can be achieved.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've thrown up a few times from working out, but usually when I realize it's going to happen...it's too late. I don't think it has to do with working out too hard for me, it's usually due to working out too soon after eating a big meal.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't. Hardly. I never ever push myself with anything cardio, ever.

Sometimes I push myself with lifting weights, but that' skits pushing my self to go,up by 2 pounds (while most people are going up by 5-10)
    I have Chronic Farigue and it takes me as much as a full week sometimes to recover from a long bike ride or hike (long being 2 hours)

Sometimes I feel bad! wimpy! sad even that my fitness seems turtle slow. I dud 15 minutes of yoga today and took a nap and all my muscles ache and burn now.
    BUT, I lost weight, lost the body fat and reached my goal. So I guess it's Ok.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't push myself that hard when exercising because I get turned off by exercise very easily--if I puke doing something, I'm not going to do it ever again, so I mainly walk at a moderate pace with a good incline and/or swim. I push myself the hardest with my dietary goals.

Pushing myself through a workout is mostly mental for me. I have to fight my inner dialogue that's telling me to give up and go home.

Agreed with the mental part. I keep asking myself "Are you actually unable to breathe? Are you in actual pain?" If the answer is no, I keep going. Usually, when I think I want to stop, it is because Im bored, lazy, or slightly uncomfortable. Now, it used to be, if I was sweating or breathing slightly faster than normal, I would think "oops, too hard. better stop". Now I know the difference between not hard enough, just right, and too hard. And if I start feeling dizzy or sick, I take it down a notch so that I CAN keep going.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I don't push myself to the point of puking in my workouts. I would be embarrassed to be that out of control at my gym. For cardio, i work my plan. If I start to feel lightheaded, i stop and just go to walking and breathing. For weights, i go until I can no longer move the body part or until I finish my sets. Or until trainer tells me, " you're DONE". For the times I felt like puking it was usually a case of wrong balance of fuel or improper timing of fueling the workout.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I do. It's called a HRM. And yes, if you do serious cardio and racing, every now and then you are gonna push until you almost puke. No harm done, and incredible gains in strength and endurance can be achieved.

I have to disagree. I train seriously. I race seriously. I can count the number of times I've thrown up on one hand. Most were in high school track. If you are running so hard that you are going to puke, you have likely exceeded your lactic acid threshold, which, aside from recruiting fast twitch muscle fiber instead of slow twitch (not helping endurance), uses up resources unnecessarily, and causes delayed recovery times. Its not that sprinting doesn't have its place, but again, if you're regularly working out to the point of throwing up, you aren't doing yourself any favors.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I have to disagree. I train seriously. I race seriously. I can count the number of times I've thrown up on one hand. Most were in high school track. If you are running so hard that you are going to puke, you have likely exceeded your lactic acid threshold, which, aside from recruiting fast twitch muscle fiber instead of slow twitch (not helping endurance), uses up resources unnecessarily, and causes delayed recovery times. Its not that sprinting doesn't have its place, but again, if you're regularly working out to the point of throwing up, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

If you read my post, you would have seen that I have actually thrown up exactly once. During a race, after drinking OJ at the start. :sick:

I dunno, this was always the way I trained. But like you said, those kind of efforts need to be kept at a minimum or you are just going to burn yourself out. But I was often one of the top women finishers in my racing years.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My drill sergeant used to say "There's a difference between being a hard *kitten* and being an idiot."

Vomiting regularly is not good.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My drill sergeant used to say "There's a difference between being a hard *kitten* and being an idiot."

Vomiting regularly is not good.
    I have a friend on Facebook who was vomiting often when he ran and seemed proud, like it was a badge of honor. Haven't seen those post much lately though.