Morning runs in the COLD

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If it's on the calendar, it gets done. It's as simple as that.

The alarm goes off at 4:30 or 5:00, depending on the length of the run that day and I just follow the same routine no matter what time of year it is. Feed the dogs, get some coffee, check my phone, TCOB, dress and out the door.

I have gotten pretty good at figuring out what to wear for all conditions. I know I'll be cold for 10 minutes, but be fine after that.

Just do it. (sorry Nike)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If it's on the calendar, it gets done. It's as simple as that.

The alarm goes off at 4:30 or 5:00, depending on the length of the run that day and I just follow the same routine no matter what time of year it is. Feed the dogs, get some coffee, check my phone, TCOB, dress and out the door.

I have gotten pretty good at figuring out what to wear for all conditions. I know I'll be cold for 10 minutes, but be fine after that.

Just do it. (sorry Nike)

Pretty much this (minus the dogs and coffee!). I'm waaaaaayyyyy better about this if I have a race training plan mapped out that tells me what run needs to happen each day; it's pretty easy to opt for more sleep under a down duvet if I don't have a goal ahead of me. When I have a training plan, if I even hesitate for a second, I just ask myself if I'll regret skipping this run on race day... that does the trick for me.

[ETA]: As Carson said, just dress for the end of the run and accept that you'll be chilly when you head out... but that's all the reason to get your butt runnin' so you can warm up more quickly!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I know it is not ideal but I opt for the treadmill a lot in the winter (even though I hate the treadmill) mostly I do this because it is way too dark on the trails and when it is cold, there can be a lot of ice. I always seem to have the worst luck with ice and I've ate it plenty of times.
    Last winter I even did a 13 mile training run on a treadmill. But then when there were nicer days and I was able to run outside, I totally killed it because I was used to being bored to death on the treadmill. So that was kind of a positive! I do like running in the cold though :) Just not the ice and pitch black morning.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you feel too cold when you go out, you are not wearing enough. Just put on the clothes, the layers. You'll be fine.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I gave up on morning runs in the winter.I shifted that part to evenings. Either way its dark. Plus its easier to take a hot shower and climb into bed.... With your eyes all tingly and watery,,,, yawn. Goodnight.