Am I eating to many carbs?

Options
Right now I am doing Focus T25 and Shaun T recommends I eat 1600 calories.
I almost NEVER reach that.
I had a pretty bad week last week and this week I've been sick so I haven't eaten that much.

But I normally eat about 1300 calories and burn about 200 doing T25, I don't eat back my exercise calories because my Macronutrients have almost already been met.

Likes Carbs, I eat 1300 calories but most of the time I am eating 150 grams of Carbs.

Am I doing this all wrong? I have lost weight since starting Fitness Pal but I'm worried I'm not doing this right and I will gain it back.

Please help.

Replies

• stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm voting for no. Any medical issues aside, you only gain weight by eating too much. Not because you have too many carbs. I go over my macronutrients most days, I at least hit them. Going over those isn't going to negate anything. The only number that you need to get to and not exceed is your calorie limit.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    My concern is, I am technically eating 1200 calories a day after exercise, and according to MFP at 1200 calories a day I should only be getting 140 grams of carbs but normally I get 160, depending on the day.

I'm hitting my macronutrients but not my calories, if I eat more calories, I will go over my macros.

People say that you wont get the body you want if you go over on your macronutrients, is that true?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My concern is, I am technically eating 1200 calories a day after exercise, and according to MFP at 1200 calories a day I should only be getting 140 grams of carbs but normally I get 160, depending on the day.

I'm hitting my macronutrients but not my calories, if I eat more calories, I will go over my macros.

People say that you wont get the body you want if you go over on your macronutrients, is that true?

What kind of body do you want? If your goal is to just lose weight, don't worry about carbs.

ETA: What's your goal for protein and fats macros? I'd say those are more important to monitor for body recomp.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating a deficit, below maintenance, you will not gain weight. FYI, you should net atleast 1200 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eating 1300 & exercising for 200 .....is equivelent to eating 1,100. Unless you are extremely petite.....you aren't eating enough.

Add your exercise calories back in.......(1300 + 200 = 1500). The protein, fat & carb numbers will go up. Think of protein as a minimum....are you reaching the right number when 1500 calories are in play? Then look at your fat numbers.....carbs are essential but not as important as protein & fat.

Restricting carbs may be necessary if you have medical issues....otherwise don't worry about them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    150g of carbs = 600 cal

So, offhand, I'd say no not too much. I aim for about 60% of my calories from carbs but I'm a runner, you get a very wide range of opinions and they all depend on what your goals are.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    I have everything set at 40-carbs, 30-Protein, 30-Fat
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    I plan on adding more protein into my diet, starting Monday.

My friend is a low carb dieter and she says I eat way to many carbs and I will just gain weight slowly.

That's why I'm kind of concerned

And I know I need to be eating more calories, I just haven't been because I was afraid of going over my Macros.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

What kind of body do you want? If your goal is to just lose weight, don't worry about carbs.

ETA: What's your goal for protein and fats macros? I'd say those are more important to monitor for body recomp.

I don't want to be "skinny fat" I want to look lean.

BTW thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as your are getting the minimum fat and protein you should be getting, the number of carbs doesn't matter. Aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight (is you know your bf% then 1 gram per lb of lean mass), and 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight. Fill in the remaining cals with carbs, or more fat and protein.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

My friend is a low carb dieter and she says I eat way to many carbs and I will just gain weight slowly.

And I know I need to be eating more calories, I just haven't been because I was afraid of going over my Macros.

Your friend is incorrect. Anytime you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. You could eat a diet that consists of nothing but carbs ....and still lose weight.......not a healthy way to lose.....but you would still lose weight.

Lots of low carbers re-gain weight quickly when going off of low carb.

My plan is to stick with eating the same things I will eat in the future (a lifestyle change). I won't be eating low carb after I've lost weight....so eating low carb now won't teach me anything about maintenance.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

Your friend is incorrect. Anytime you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. You could eat a diet that consists of nothing but carbs ....and still lose weight.......not a healthy way to lose.....but you would still lose weight.

Lots of low carbers re-gain weight quickly when going off of low carb.

My plan is to stick with eating the same things I will eat in the future (a lifestyle change). I won't be eating low carb after I've lost weight....so eating low carb now won't teach me anything about maintenance.

That's good to know.

I still eat Pasta once and while, I'm Italian and I refuse to give that up.

Thanks for responding.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's nothing too wrong with going over your carbs but if you really want to stick to your macros a bit better, you just need to make some changes in your diet. Swap out some of your high carb snacks for ones that are higher in protein like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, a couple hard boiled eggs, etc. That's the great thing about tracking food, you can go back through your diary history, see which foods seem to be jacking up your numbers and then think about how you can swap them out for different foods that will fit your macro goals better.

Good luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I don't want to be "skinny fat" I want to look lean.

BTW thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

For your goal, I don't think you should focus so much on carbs. Yes, no matter what your macros are, if you eat at calorie deficit, you will lose weight. But if you eat too few calories, you risk losing that lean mucsle mass that you want. First, start by trying to hit a minimum of 1200 calories net.

Once you nail that down, then focus on hitting your protein and fat macros. Once you hit those macros, eat all the carbs and sugars your heart desires. Strength training will go a long way too to meet your goals.

You're welcome. :flowerforyou: