Best Breakfast Before An Endurance Ride?

Options
I am going to an attempt a 20 mile bike ride tomorrow, which, for me at my fitness level, is a big deal. My avg pace is about 7mph due to all the massive hills in my area which will make it a 3+ hour ride.

What would the best meal be to eat beforehand? Oatmeal? Turkey sausage and cheese? Greek Yogurt and grapes? ((I don't like eggs))

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eat some pasta. The carbs will keep you going.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a bottle of ensure before a long ride. Higher calories but does not make your stomach feel full.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am an avid rider. It is important that you eat well before the ride (oatmeal- or quality carbs)- also with a three hour ride you need to eat during the ride. Trail bars or shot blocks. I prefer shot blocks. If you don't you may bonk. Its a real term- google it. Bonking is a miserable experience. Take some food with you !
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter toast. What I ate before every long run or ride. And be sure to pack snacks for during!
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh! I didn't know what it was called, but I did that once on an accidental 20 mile ride.

Yes, accidental. We had just started biking, total n00bs, and we started down a trail without ANY idea how long it was. About 10mi in I insisted on turning back. At that point I was ALREADY exhausted. When we started we only had water with us and our lunch had been hours prior. The only thing that kept me going was that I had no other way back, and FORTUNATELY, the way back was mostly down hill.

At the end of it I was shaking, dizzy, nauseated, and felt like I couldn't suck in enough air.

Since then, I never ride without at least 2 energy bars in my pack. I take Clif Bars. Is that a good brand?

EDIT: I just realized Shot Blocks ARE a type of Clif Bars. Derp,
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What would the best meal be to eat beforehand?

Porridge, wholemeal toast and mashed banana or hoummus.

Bowl of cut fruit
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Since then, I never ride without at least 2 energy bars in my pack. I take Clif Bars. Is that a good brand?

I have a Snickers bar and a couple of Little Debbie oatmeal cookies in my "emergency" pouch.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I have a Snickers bar and a couple of Little Debbie oatmeal cookies in my "emergency" pouch.

Snickers hurt my teeth for some reason. :P

However, in a bit of randomness, when I was pregnant, there we entire days where the only thing I could keep down was watermelon and an ice cream snickers bar.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My meal the night before a big ride seems to help carry me through along with oatmeal and fruit before. Sometimes, I'll carry a bar, gel, or cytomax. Good luck and enjoy!
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't know they were Cliff either- though now that I think about it- it is right on th epackage. Ha Ha. I like them better- less messy- easier to eat- not as heavy on the tummy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...an ice cream snickers bar.

Oh yeah....!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana and a Clif Bar before a ride (30 miles / 1:30:00-1:45:00 long). I would definitely take something with you if you are going to be at it for 3 hours.