Need a new Android phone. Suggestions?

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
I plan to buy a new smartphone soon. I will be using it for everything. From managing my calender to retrieving my mail to writing notes to playing the latest system heavy games. I am not a fan of Apple so iPhone is definitely out.

I was thinking about either "HTC one", "Samsung Note 3", or "Samsung Galaxy S4. I dig all 3 of them but not a huge fan of Note 3 size. HTC seems to be running a bit outdated but I'm not sure what is new in the market so need your input. Any other phone suggestions would be cool too and since I am in Asia, I have access to some of the phone not yet available in Europe and US so fire away.

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Either the Galaxy S4 or the Nexus 5 from Google.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    HTC one is good. I have the LG Optimus L9 because my HTC died and this was the replacement they gave me and I HATE IT. The phone itself is fine but the memory is craptacular.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    iPhone.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    galaxy s3 or 4
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If I had my choice it would be the HTC One, I have had htc's and samsungs. I like my galaxies but they have a cheaper feel and I have had more issues with them than I did the HTC, like charging ports and other minor issues. The out dated software is is not really as important as long as the hardware has great stats and it has a large developer community (check XDA forum). I root and run custom roms on my phones. The newest android Kitkat I am really enjoying.

ETA: Nexus 5 is a great choice too
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Galaxy s4
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have the Samsung Note and love it! Yes, it's big! But hey........sometimes size matters :wink:
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    S4
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    HTC
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I have an HTC One and I like it a lot. I'm not a big tekkie, though, but my son and fiance are and they have One's as well and love them.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Nexus 5 is an absolute bargain.

I've got the nexus 4 and it's an awesome phone for what I paid for it
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If I had to replace my Note 2 I think I would go with the Note 3. Everyone comments on the phone being to large but it fits in my pocket with no issue and I have an Otterbox Defender case on it. I like the larger screen. If the size is still a concern, S4. Two of my kids have them and love them. The Nexus 5 looks pretty nice as well.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have the HTC One and enjoy it --- rumors have it being updated to Sense 5.5 and Android 4.4 by the end of January 2014

Heard decent things about the Moto X
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't like about the HTC One is the battery is literally irreplaceable, and that's the one component that seems to wear out and need replacement if you keep your phone for a while. Some other phones don't have a "replaceable" battery, but it can at least be replaced if you are handy. You have to destroy the phone to even get to it on the HTC One.

For that reason, I vote Galaxy S4. I have an Optimus L6 because I'm not a fan of the size of the flagship phones, but the limited internal memory really is an issue.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Nexus 5 is an absolute bargain.

I've got the nexus 4 and it's an awesome phone for what I paid for it

Did your nexus4 get KitKat yesterday? Mine just updated. Pretty cool, I think.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I plan to buy a new smartphone soon. I will be using it for everything. From managing my calender to retrieving my mail to writing notes to playing the latest system heavy games. I am not a fan of Apple so iPhone is definitely out.

I was thinking about either "HTC one", "Samsung Note 3", or "Samsung Galaxy S4. I dig all 3 of them but not a huge fan of Note 3 size. HTC seems to be running a bit outdated but I'm not sure what is new in the market so need your input. Any other phone suggestions would be cool too and since I am in Asia, I have access to some of the phone not yet available in Europe and US so fire away.

I'm struggling with this too.... I don't want an iPhone but they have all the apps. The androids seems cool but I've never had one so... and plus it's upgrade time. Decisions, decisions...
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

Of those three, the SG4 is the best marriage of features and screen size. The Note 3 is too big, and the stylus...well, frankly, you won't use that function if you don't already miss having it. I have a Note 8.0 tablet, and rarely use the stylus.

I currently have an HTC One X+, and after using it for more than a year...wish I had something else. But I was in a bind as my previous Galaxy S2 had died. So I took the latest of what was available, where if I had been able to wait a couple of months, the S4 was coming out.

The Nexus 5 is an excellent device as well, though not materially better than the SG4.
  • taunto
    Options
    I hadn't thought about Nexus 5. Gonna check it out. The size of Note 3 isn't a huge biggie but it would be convenient since i hate it when my pockets are heavy and between 3 keys and my wallet, its already too heavy. HTC one has been favored by me followed by S4 so this helps.

It would be a cold day in hell before I buy an Apple product for myself. It was bad enough I had to buy my sis in law an iphone. I felt so dirty doing it...
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't like about the HTC One is the battery is literally irreplaceable, and that's the one component that seems to wear out and need replacement if you keep your phone for a while. Some other phones don't have a "replaceable" battery, but it can at least be replaced if you are handy. You have to destroy the phone to even get to it on the HTC One.

For that reason, I vote Galaxy S4. I have an Optimus L6 because I'm not a fan of the size of the flagship phones, but the limited internal memory really is an issue.

this is exactly why I went with the s4. IMO its interface is also much nicer/prettier than the HTC. if you use the speakers on your phone a lot there's no comparison to the HTC, but for everything else I think the samsung is better. s4 also has expandable memory which is nice, I was able to put in my old SD card and have everything I needed without having to deal with the cloud.
  • taunto
    Options
    If I had my choice it would be the HTC One, I have had htc's and samsungs. I like my galaxies but they have a cheaper feel and I have had more issues with them than I did the HTC, like charging ports and other minor issues. The out dated software is is not really as important as long as the hardware has great stats and it has a large developer community (check XDA forum). I root and run custom roms on my phones. The newest android Kitkat I am really enjoying.

ETA: Nexus 5 is a great choice too

Many of my friends here and my brother is using S4. Haven't had issue with charging ports etc. but I will be on the lookout for that and ask around. Thanks for the headsup.

The hardware seems almost identical. HTC is 1.7 and S4 is 1.6 GHZ so I'm not missing out a lot. What will bother me about HTC is that it won't have a card slot which, while the 32 GB it comes with will be plenty, I kinda like having the option for memory slot.