arrrrrgh no sugar!!!

Options
Help needed by an ever increasingly desperate chocoholic. Been on mfp for a week now and have been going over my sugar intake every day but today actually managed to keep it spot on 38g as is my recommend amount but I'm craving something sweet, is there anything sweet that doesn't have sugar content? I'm proudly managing to stay off the chocolate but getting frustrated that I can't even eat fruit as it takes me over my limit. Is there anything out there? I've always got plenty of calories left over and lots of fat too.

Replies

• garbagedog
    Options
    Have you tried the 2-ingredient cookies? They are a lifesaver for me.

1 banana
    1 cup of instant oatmeal
    You can add in a couple tablespoons of raisins, cranberries, etc.

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350. They are just sweet enough to kick that craving and are almost guilt-free. I've even had these bad boys for breakfast (3-4 of them).
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The macros are ridiculously low on MFP to begin with. Make sure you hit your macros and stay within your calories and don't worry about sugar. I don't even track it anymore it's been in the red since I joined lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar. I changed the setting to track fiber instead.

Is there a medical reason that requires you to be low sugar? I'm a chocoholic too and try to limit my added sugar (chocolate) because it makes me binge. But I don't care too much about sugar in fruit (and dairy). As long as your protein & fat numbers look good....don't worry too much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, MFP sugar levels are a joke. Don't follow those. That will make your life much easier.
  • pinheadplanet
    pinheadplanet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The macros are ridiculously low on MFP to begin with. Make sure you hit your macros and stay within your calories and don't worry about sugar. I don't even track it anymore it's been in the red since I joined lol

I know a lot of people on here don't worry about sugar, that's fine if that works for them/you but I want to stay within my limits. Anyone else have any low sugar ideas for sweet treats?
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lightly roast some powered baking chocolate then add your favored food sweetener (with some sugar, just so ya get use to it), add to non-fat milk, or non fat ice cream,,, I eat it just like that!! Helps with the cravings!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people on here don't worry about sugar, that's fine if that works for them/you but I want to stay within my limits. Anyone else have any low sugar ideas for sweet treats?

Right, but the limit is ridiculous when you can't eat a bowl of fruit without going over. Just because MFP says it to be true, doesn't make it right by any means.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Those limits are for added sugar. Don't count natural sugars from fruit, vegetables, etc
    You'll go over your limit easily with two bananas, which is ridiculous.

Snack idea: I like to blend plain greek yogurt with frozen strawberries and cocoa powder. Delicious and no added sugars! For added fat, try mixing an avocado with cocoa powder. It is just like fudge :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    manage your macros and stop micro managing your micros. You do realize that MFP makes no distinction between added/refined sugar and sugars that occur naturally in fruit, veg, etc right? MFP's recommendation is based on the WHO's recommendation for added sugar due to the propensity for people to go out and drink multiple 40 Oz Big Gulps daily...this sugar recommendation gives people like that pause.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Stay within your limits? Determined by who? Do your research, you do not need to be concerned about sugar intake unless you have a medical reason to avoid it such as diabetes, pre-diabetes, or PCOS. Limit your sugar intake all you want, but you're just going to get hit with more cravings because of it. Don't just accept arbitrary numbers when it comes to nutrition, do some research for yourself and learn about proper nutrition...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

People don't worry about sugar because sugar is a carb and you already track carb as a macronutrient. Tracking sugar is wholly unnecessary.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? If the answer to this is no then quit worrying about going over the MFP sugar limit....as stated by many on here, it is set ridiculously low. Evaluate your goals and where you want to be - you look thin so I'm guessing weight loss is not one of those goals. I can't imagine drastically cutting your sugar is needed.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I <3 Truvia

(but yeah, I track carbs but not sugar...easier that way with all the fruit I eat)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lightly roast some powered baking chocolate then add your favored food sweetener (with some sugar, just so ya get use to it), add to non-fat milk, or non fat ice cream,,, I eat it just like that!! Helps with the cravings!!

Nope - lactose is the sugar found in dairy
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, insulin resistant or have a medical need to closely monitor ALL sugar intake, this is what I recommend and how I roll:

MFP default sugar goals are oddly low - I've always questioned the #. On another note, their fiber recommendation is also low :)

I'm mindful of added sugar. Such as cakes, cookies, candy, doughnuts .. you know the drill. Those are TREATs vs. FOOD

Fruits and vegetables are nature's miracle. Truly. Nature loaded them with fiber, phytonutrients, and yes fructose. The fructose is balanced with the fiber and nutrients found in produce. With that said: I wouldn't eat a bushel of bananas or mango or cabbage for that matter. A bushel of most anything = not a great idea for more reasons than 1. Berries tend to have lower sugar/higher fiber ; tropical fruits tend to have higher sugar / less fiber. My point being: be mindful of variety - mix it up.

CHOCOLATE. Let's keep it REAL. It's a macro. At least in my life. I find that a single square (or 2) of dark chocolate totally satisfies my chocolate craving. Dark choc = less milk, less sugar and MORE cacoa. WIN.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat a tonne (ok slight exaggeration) of fruit and consequently am always over my sugar. I'm losing happily so I really don't worry about it. As long as I'm under calories and fat I am happy.