How often to weigh in?

Options
I've been using MFP for about 7 weeks now and I am of the school of thought to weigh in once a week - but that may be instilled in me because I did Weight Watchers for a long time in the past and obviously there you weigh in once a week. Here I see people recording their weigh every day or every other day. Obviously that's down to personal preference but is there a proper way to go about it? I know the female body often fluctuates which is why weighing daily seems odd to me... Just wondering!

Replies

• supaflyrobby
    Options
    Since I joined MFP (and even slightly before), I do it once a week on Sunday morning after my workout. The gym has the most accurate scale, and I also want to make sure I use the same one every time.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent... Same scale, same day, same time. I and I think most on here weigh once a week, first thing in the morning, naked, after I pee. My weigh in day is official day is Saturday. But sometimes I check mid week.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself very often

My scale became a *kitten* and we don't get along

I do use a tape measure but I only check once a month, sometimes twice.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I haven't in about a month. I changed my exercise routine a bit, been hungrier so I ate more. I am sure my weight went slightly up, but i am not worried. It'll start going down again once by body gets used to it.
  • shawn1112
    shawn1112 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    once a week first thing in the morning
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Usually on Fridays but I'm changing my weigh in day to Sunday.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    For me it's once a week, usually the same day and time.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every day here. Wake, pee, weigh, record. I find the fluctuations fascinating! They don't bother me a bit some sometimes I can learn from them.

libra6.jpg
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every few days, no real schedule, just when I feel like it. It is always in the morning before I've eaten and after I've used the restroom. Usually I'll be in my pajamas. I do see fluctuations with my cycle, but the overall trend is downward. I pay more attention to being under or at my net calorie goal than to what the scale does. So long as I make my goal, the scale usually reflects it after a while.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Eh, I weigh in every day and use a spread sheet to document. I don't freak out though if the number changes from day to day. I just like looking at the spread sheet and seeing how it decreases overtime. I do it every morning RIGHT after using the restroom ;)
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I use the bathroom. It's interesting to see the little fluctuations. I'm in a challenge to lose .5lb/week and I record my weight every Monday (if I remember). My weight goes up and down throughout the week, but my Monday I'm almost always a half pound lighter than the previous week. But it's totally up to you how often you record.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and measure once a week.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day after I use the bathroom. Not everyone can do this, because you can't let the fluctuations consume you and stress you out. But with that being said, sometimes they can tell you something. Like the high sodium meal from yesterday is making me retain water, I should try to have more today, etc.

I find that the less I weigh myself, the less consistent I am and I lose weight slower and I sometimes even gain. Weighing daily keeps the motivation in my face, at the start of the day. I've started weighing and logging it in for the past few weeks and it makes temptations easier.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly and measure monthly because that suits me. I don't see anything wrong with weighing daily if you like to see how weight fluctuates under varying circumstances, or if you have such a stable weight that you'd be aware of a trend as soon as it kicked in.

My weight will change by 4-5lbs over the course of a day so I don't see much point in watching that occur, it winds me up too much.
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been here 3 weeks and I weigh in once a week on Monday morning. I do see some people weighing in daily and I feel like that would crush my spirit. I also think its a good idea to skip a weigh in when my monthly visitor is around. I blow up like a balloon and I know it would just discourage me.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I dunno, maybe once a month? Why hound the scale if you know your doing everything right?

Eat right, train right and who cares about the rest?
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Every week, same time and scale
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Once per week, sometimes twice if I randomly hop on in the morning for no good reason.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Right now, every day. I've only been at it for two months, but I feel that seeing the fluctuations is a major way to keep my head in the game. I also log every morsel I eat as well, because for me, personally, the two numbers are so important to compare. I have stomach issues so it's been very helpful for me to pinpoint what has made me bloated (other than just sodium) and why.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you let it screw with your head. I end up weighing myself a few times a week on workout days, so I see how it fluctuates around on me. Last week it went up 4 on Friday and was back down 4 by yesterday (Sunday). It can really mess with you if you put a lot of stock in the day to day changes.

If you're uncomfortable with the swings, go for once a month.