Best routine for leaning out?

Options
I'm considering switching up my routine. I'm not trying to gain lots of muscle or even lose too much fat, but the latter is definitely takes precedence. I just want to simply lean out and look as trim as possible.

Currently I'm doing a typical Rippetoe compound lifting routine 3-4 times a week along with a little cardio just whenever I feel like it. Do you think that's probably the best way to go, or is there something else that may be even more effective?

I was looking into something that's more about using your own bodyweight for training combined with cardio, something like P90x or that Insanity deal. Not necessarily those programs in particular, but just something that's like half bodyweight training half cardio.

Those guys seem really trim and that's the look I'm going for so that's why I ask.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the program you are on is great. You will get great results with it as long as you are patient.

The high intensity cardio circuit programs are great calories burners though.

The weightlifting, adequate protein, and a moderate calorie deficit will definitely allow you to lose body fat, maintain muscle and increase strength. Add in a little cardio or even some higher intensity circuit stuff a couple times per week and you are set.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I don't think Starting Strength has enough hypertrophy programming in it along with a dearth of upper body pulling, so I like Ice Cream Fitness which is like SS but with some hypertrophy exercises added to it.

or

4pWbs3i.jpg
  • Oceanborn2
    Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do find it rather boring doing nothing but squats, benches, presses, rows and so on. I don't think it can hurt to add these.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I really like Jason's version of 5x5. Here is a good link that has a more in depth break down of the program.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Not a lot of hypertrophy going on while in a calorie deficit though.