Protein Bars/Nutrition Bars

Options
2»

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how much protein are in the Quest brand ones? I'm brand new to protein bars-bought a few different brands today, for the first time (didn't buy a Quest one though). I got a few Meijer (store brand) ones that have 21 grams of protein/190calories/8 grams of sugar/16 grams of carbs/4.5grams of fat. Wonder how that compares with the Quest ones? I paid $1.15 per bar for the Meijer ones-how much do Quest bars run?
    Thanks!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love Larabars for a quick snack, they only have whole ingredients. Most bars only have 3 or so ingredients such as nuts and fruit. Also a perfect pre-run snack for me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    20g of protein in Quest bars.

I like protein bars because they're a nice alternative to candy bars, lol. I try to avoid the ones with a lot of sugar, like Cliff and Luna, although I've had them occasionally and they are delicious, and still a better alternative than candy bars. Typically I eat Quest and Pure Protein (the soft baked ones... oh so delicious). I've bought a box of some atkins ones though, only 130 calories (but only 5g of protein, which I didn't realize until after I bought it, whatever they are delicious and low sugar, lol).

But as long as they fit your calories, whatever really.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    20g of protein in Quest bars.

I like protein bars because they're a nice alternative to candy bars, lol. I try to avoid the ones with a lot of sugar, like Cliff and Luna, although I've had them occasionally and they are delicious, and still a better alternative than candy bars. Typically I eat Quest and Pure Protein (the soft baked ones... oh so delicious). I've bought a box of some atkins ones though, only 130 calories (but only 5g of protein, which I didn't realize until after I bought it, whatever they are delicious and low sugar, lol).

But as long as they fit your calories, whatever really.

Thanks for the info on the Quest bars :) I'm going to write the name down and after I go through my new stash, I may pick one up and try it. I'm working on getting my protein up from the 25-35 gram a day range, to 100 or more, so protein bars are about to become my best friend lol.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that protein bars and meal replacement bars were the worst and the equivalent to candy bars... and yet I see so many people's diaries filled with them?! Please explain the madness to me. :flowerforyou:

They're not the healthiest thing out there, but they are often packed with some good ingredients, like protein, fiber, etc. I think the reason so many people like them is because of first, the convenience, and second, because they give you the sweet satisfaction that a candy bar gives you but also give you a good dose of some nutrients that your body needs. I see them as a sort of healthier alternative to a candy bar lol. :laugh:

There's nothing wrong with eating them regularly as long as it's budgeted into your daily caloric intake accordingly and you're making your macro goals. :smile:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the only protein bar I will eat!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with candy bars?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I normally get Pure Protein bars at Costco, low in sugar, gluten free (not that I'm gluten free) 20g of protein, I've also tried Detour, low in sugar, but has less protein than Pure Protein. When GNC have their 30% off sale, I will buy a couple of boxes of Quest bars. I'm expecting 2 boxes this week.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    my Quest chocolate brownie has 190 cal/6g fat/24g carb/20g protein/19g fibre 1g sugar.

but when I want a candy bar, I have a candy bar =)
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I swear by Quest Bars!!!
    All the ingerdidents are things you know and can pronounce! Not filled with fillers or sugar.
    about 21grams protein, 3-5 active carbs, 1 gram or less of sugar.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ThinkThin, awesome taste, good stats
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love the pure protein ones; 20 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat, 2 grams of sugar and 16 grams of carbs!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that the people telling you protein bars are the worst, and the people eating them, are two entirely different sets.

There is far from universal consensus on MFP about how you should eat. You'll need to make up your own mind which path to follow.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    They pretty much are candy bars.

I love em, and I eat em.

The reason is because there isn't really anything inherently wrong with candy bars. Plus protein bars have a far better macronutrient breakdown than candy bars, and often have added vitamins and minerals.

A Snickers and Clif Builder's Bar have about the same calories. The Clif bar has 20g protein and a bunch of vitamin C, A, and calcium. A Snickers has 4g of protein and pretty much no vitamins.

I still eat Snickers sometimes though.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that protein bars and meal replacement bars were the worst and the equivalent to candy bars... and yet I see so many people's diaries filled with them?! Please explain the madness to me. :flowerforyou:

You need to be very aware of what needs your trying to meet with the bar you chose.

Protein Bars are meant to aide in muscle recovery. Protein also helps you to maintain a fuller feeling longer, as it is more slowly digested than carbohydrates are.

Energy bars like Cliff Bars are designed to be eaten before or during intense energy using session like Running, and Climbing. The purpose of theses higher carbohydrate bars is to get a faster source of energy through your system to sustain a longer period of activity.

Meal Replacement Bars (MRPs) are just that they have a balance of protein, carbs, and healthy fats designed to Replace the meal you don't want to eat, or don't have time to fix.

I would say if it is made by a Candy Company it probably is just a glorified candy bar, but honestly if your going to eat it, a little protein is better for sustainability (keep you fuller longer)

Protein Bars are not always the best choice for protein just simply b/c the pasteurizing process can destroy the Whey isolate which makes the usable protein no good. Quest Bars are one of the better options for a protein bar.

Look up some no bake recipe's that use protein powder to make the bar, and then use your favorite protein powder to make them. Store them in your frig or freeze to grab in a pinch.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars and Rise + protein bars. Both have simple ingredients. The Rise + protein bar has whey protein, almonds, and honey. That's it. Great on the go breakfast option.