Has changing your diet and exercise impacted your sleep?

Options
I am wondering if I am sleeping better, but since rehauling my diet and exercise a couple of weeks ago, I feel like I don't need as much sleep. I usually need to be in bed for 9 hours a night, 8 being a minimum, but this last week I have been going to bed an hour later then I usually do and waking up at the same time.

And instead of feeling really tired and sluggish the next day, like staying up an extra hour would have caused in the past, I feel full of energy. Much more energetic then usual.

My guess in my quality of sleep has improved, that I am falling asleep quicker.

What do you guys think?

Anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At the very beginning I had a HUGE surge of energy. I could sleep, but not alot, all of a sudden. I was literally bursting with energy. I've adapted now, so I sleep more, lol. But before, I just literally could have bounced off the walls with the increase in energy I had.
  • skinnydreams29
    Options
    Exercise makes me pass out at night still. I sleep better
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of trouble sleeping and staying asleep, some nights. However, I failed to fall asleep at all the other night from too much energy and when I did finally decide it wasn't going to happen and got out of bed, I found I had a lot of energy throughout the day which was strange for someone who hadn't had a wink of sleep, yet I still had trouble sleeping the next night. I don't think my diet and exercise really has changed my sleep for the better. (That was a lot of mentioning the word sleep) lol.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Since starting to exercise I've had more difficulty sleeping. Of course, the only times my gym offers group fitness classes that I can make is at 6, 7 or 8 PM...that can affect sleep. Yawn.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to be in bed by 8 p.m. Now I can easily stay up past 10 and feel great the next day even though I have to be up at 5:30 a.m. on the weekdays.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    See for me it's the opposite!

I used to run on 4-5hrs of sleep a night. When I started lifting and Yoga I couldn't do that anymore. I now require between 8-9hrs a sleep. 8 being a minimum
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I get to sleep faster.
    I wake up feeling rested.
    I sleep like a rock.
    No more snoring!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have days where I can't sleep (or wake up from a sound one) because I am in such a high mood and have so much going on in my head, it makes it impossible. But once day comes and I have to get up, I seem to still be able to functional fully during the day. I can stay up later than before but I don't make a habit of it because it's good to get those 8 hours in, I'm told. Generally, overall, the benefits of losing weight and exercise far outweigh and occasional long night.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I also feel insanely tired by like 10 PM where I used to be super restless. It also helped me tremendously with my overall mental health/anxiety.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had difficultly sleeping when I was serverly obese, I could only get comfortable by sleeping on my back, I would wake up many times in the night just by the sound of my own loud snoring, and sometimes suddenly wake up gasping for breath, thinking back it was horrible. Now I'm just overweight and I started sleeping on my side again and no longer snoring.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I am sleeping better, but since rehauling my diet and exercise a couple of weeks ago, I feel like I don't need as much sleep. I usually need to be in bed for 9 hours a night, 8 being a minimum, but this last week I have been going to bed an hour later then I usually do and waking up at the same time.

And instead of feeling really tired and sluggish the next day, like staying up an extra hour would have caused in the past, I feel full of energy. Much more energetic then usual.

My guess in my quality of sleep has improved, that I am falling asleep quicker.

What do you guys think?

Anyone else experienced this?

Yes! I sleep less hours but sleep better and wake up more energized. It's not longer difficult for me to get up at 5 a.m. and go to the gym and do my workouts.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Absolutely my sleeping has changed! The biggest change I notice was that the naps I used to take DAILY have disappeared. I fall asleep faster and just CANNOT lay in bed more than 9 hours (That extra hour is spent in bed talking to my boyfriend and playing on our phones in the morning though, lol.) If I ever stay up until midnight, that's so late for me and if I ever sleep in until 9 it's late for me! This is because the only things I need to stay up late for would be drinking and partying. Changing my diet and exercise has created NO ROOM for drinking and partying all the time, which is a big positive impact and I love it!