GRR! Awkward stage rant

Options
I just need to blow-off some steam! It's been a rollar coaster of a week regarding weight-ins, food and NSV.

I was VERY excited to go shopping this week for winter clothes for our big trip to Ireland. It's about a month away and I simply CANNOT wait! My mom came with me and I had a big NSV: dropping a size in all shirts/pants/dresses compared to a few months ago. It felt great and my mom even commented on how good she thought I was doing. YAY!

BUT for the past 3 months I've been plateauing back an forth between 5 lbs and am now gaining weight. :grumble: Yes, it could be muscle, I won't discount that AND I do feel stronger. However, we have one of those high-tech body-fat, muscle mass, water count scales and it says I'm NOT gaining muscle mass and increasing in weight and body fat. It makes no sense; I'm working out 3xs a week with my kettlebell, my weight in condition are the same every week and I'm eating 20% below my TDDE.

I know weight-loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is one big continuum; it's gonna take time. I'm just peeved that I'm farther away from my goal instead of closer. *Whew!* Thanks for the rant! :drinker:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Either you skip a lot of meals or you don't log and if so how do you know you aren't just eating your way to a plateau or weight gain? If you aren't losing you're eating a maintenance and muscle gain is generally not an excuse for most women especially if you really are eating at a deficit. Try honestly logging for a couple of weeks, if you are staying in budget then maybe you need to drop your budget by a couple hundred.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Either you skip a lot of meals or you don't log and if so how do you know you aren't just eating your way to a plateau or weight gain? If you aren't losing you're eating a maintenance and muscle gain is generally not an excuse for most women especially if you really are eating at a deficit. Try honestly logging for a couple of weeks, if you are staying in budget then maybe you need to drop your budget by a couple hundred.
    I know that when we start to lose weight it is often times a point of complacency like "this wasn't real hard, I don't need to log anymore" but you really really do..fine line between obsession and slacking off....
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    Season / temperature changes sometimes slow weight loss for me. Usually I find that it is because Ive been drinking more calories, even though I have been eating really well.

Those darn hot chocolates. Shame on me.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your trip to Ireland - you will absolutely love it there! I'm so jealous. Have been 3 times and wishing really hard that I could go back :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle at a deficit. But I'm guessing you're not at a deficit - are you weighing all your food?
  • kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I DO feel as though it's been hard to continuously log-in these past 3 months. I just moved back home PLUS the hubby and I bought our first house, so I feel that if I miss logging one meal that "eh, it's ok, I'm pretty sure I'm on track". But I 100% agree, it's a a fine line between obsessing about weight and slacking. :tongue:

Francl27, I do weight all my food, religiously, but I struggle with plugging in my recipes for dinner. I make about 90% of all our meals from scratch and after awhile I get tired of adding new recipes and I "guesstimate" what my total might be. No good, I know!

Plus all those delicious drinks like "hard" apple cider have been calling my name lately...Damn it's tasty-ness! :drinker:

Thanks for listening all, it's helpful to hear everyone's thought/suggestions. :happy: