Dieting after major wreck

Options
I have been dieting for about 5 months and have did really good . Lost about 45 pounds . 3 weeks ago I hit a deer while riding my motorcycle . Long story short . I broke 5 ribs , collar bone and was in the hospital for 11 days with a hemothorax ( collapsed Lung )

I was just wondering peoples thoughts on continuing my diet ( still have 30 lbs to go ) or eat at maintenance until my body heals up . I had gained 5 lbs when in the hospital , but im back to pre wreck weight now after a week out .

Thanks

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Ow, ow, ow. Eat at maintenance while you're healing. Best wishes.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You need the calories to give your body energy for healing. Healing is the top priority right now. Focus on that. Take care of weight-loss after your body is back to full strength again.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eating above maintenance facilitates healing. You need to repair and build tissue.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eating above maintenance facilitates healing. You need to repair and build tissue.

I'm not a Dr, but I agree with this.
    You really should talk to your Dr about that, this is a major issue, healing your body should be #1 on your list right now, not losing weight.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Some lady blew through a stop sign while i was on my bike about 10 months ago, and i hit her, messing up my knee, and my shoulder. What has helped the most is trying to seek out foods that will help with recovery and rebuilding. If you google "anti-inflammatory foods" you should be able to find the right foods for healing. This has helped me reduce my shoulder pain.

I ultimately gained a few pounds, and the wreck really hurt my progress, (it's tough when you can't walk for a couple months.) but the small amount of gained weight fell right back off when i started walking again.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Firstly, my goodness! I'm sorry about your accident. Glad you are ALIVE and healing though. What a miracle, seriously.

Allow your body to heal before doing anything intense! I'd consult a doctor though. Maybe you can do some cardio like biking or something to help in the mean time. I'd definitely ask a doctor what you can do as far as exercise but what is most important is getting better after the accident.

also congrats on the success you have with weight loss so far! that is wonderful!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    So sorry about your accident. I hope healing is going well. The weight in the hospital was probably related to fluids they were pumping into you. Regarding how to eat now, I think eating maintenance is probably smart as the body heals. Perhaps if you were very overweight, I would suggest continuing on your weight loss track. I am sure your doctor could tell you what he/she thinks is safe.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay, that's terrifying! My personal, non doctor, uneducated opinion would be to not worry about calories while you're healing and feed your body what you feel it really needs. I've heard of people who got into terrible accidents and they start craving nuts and they just eat bundles and bundles of them (certainly way over any calorie goal) and it helps their body heal. I'm not saying eat nuts to heal. I'm saying if you want something in particular, go for it. Worry about your weight loss later. :) You only live once and by the sounds of it you came really close to no longer YOLOing, so YOLO!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses . That s what I was thinking as well ,, still gonna eat better but not worry about the calories for awhile .
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Broken ribs are agony. Hope you feel better soon!