I love paleo.

Options
I'm the typical fat guy who has always said. "You know what I've tried everything to loose weight, but nothing seems to work" I have tried a bunch of stuff, but never really anything that has worked for me. I used to work out for 3 hours a day going hard. But I would still keep eating garbage(burgers everyday pizza hotdogs etc mostly processed junk). So as expected I did not notice any positive change. I actually put on more weight. So yeah I tried everything but to eat right.
-- One day I went in for a work required physical/health examination, and the doctor told me that I would need to have a sleep apnea study, and that my urine protein levels where way too high; which indicated kidney damage. I also had a huge risk of diabetes. I weighed in at 345 lbs that day. Naturally I failed the physical, and could not work there in the shape I was. I felt devastated by this news.
-- A buddy of mine who works with me, and is a bodybuilder/Personal trainer was with me that day, as he took his physical too. After he passed his physical. He saw the look of disappointment on my face, and right then and there. He outlined to me what I need to do. He told me to stop eating breads pasta rice sodas sugar etc. I was too increase my protein/veggies levels and do exercise 2 to 3 times a week. My exercise was to be short, but intense in nature.
-- I was doing this for a week and a half, and bamm in that small amount of time I had lost like 4 lbs. Too be honest I didn't do as much exercise as I should have. I was online googling how eating more meat helped me loose weight, and came across a site on paleo. I read on why exactly I should avoid the breads and those carbs. It makes a lot of sense. I decided to give the highly restrictive(by todays dietary standards) Paleo lifestyle change a try.
-- 2 more weeks go by, and after eating Paleo style and small amounts of extreme exercise I feel great and I lost a shirt size! Then 2 months later I go re do my physical, and I come to find out that I'm healthy; well considering my size haha. There was nothing wrong with me. The doctor said my bp is super healthy, and that my sleep apnea b.s risk is gone. Doctor had me do a sprint on a treadmill a bit, and checked my heart rate. He said I'm as healthy as a horse, and too keep doing what ever I have been doing. I passed! I was hooked on Paleo!
-- The first couple of weeks where tough as I fought through my sugar addiction, but it was sure damn well worth it. Paleo was the best lifestyle change I could have made. At first I only wanted to get healthy, but now I can see myself actually getting in shape. It's awesome! Now I grunt like a caveman and say hell yeah.... :smile:

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that works for you
  • TCD01
    TCD01 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks =] .. I'm so glad as well.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Best of Luck on whatever is working for you..,. I could never (nor would I ever want to) give up Breads, Pasta's, or Sugar.... I had hot Iced Maple Roll's for breakfast with a big travel mug of coffee before I hit the gym... I believe in a caloric deficit and hitting my macro's and still fitting in those discretionary foods that I like.... but do what works best for you....... Best of Luck....
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I'm glad it's working for you too. :wink:
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I love the paleo lifestyle too! It's hard to give up sugar, but ultimately your sugar addiction goes away and the paleo way of eating is delicious and satisfying.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thats a fantastic result and great that you have found something that works for you :drinker:

My only query would be, did the doctor check your urine protein levels the second time? Increasing your protein intake when you were showing signs of kidney damage just seems to be the opposite you would expect the advice to be in that situation
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Awesome that you've found something that motivate you and that you feel you can live with.

I like many aspects of paleo, but I'm not a big fan of red meat and I love bread so it's not for me. Luckily many roads lead to Rome.
  • TCD01
    Options
    Yeah he did all the same exams both times. =] Everything is fine.. I guess my body fixed itself.. lol =]
  • TCD01
    Options
    Thanks guys you are all awesome! and I wish you all the best!
  • ragdoll1982
    Options
    What are your current protein/carb/fat percentages you are hitting on your macronutrients (goals) here? I'm curious because I am also doing paleo.

Thanks.
  • TCD01
    Options
    uuuhm uuuhhhh uuuhm I dont know..lol I just eat a good amount of proteins with a lot of green veggies. fruits once or twice a week, and I get a lot of good fats in too. coconut oil or ghee butter stuff.. My buddy who put me into the clean eating told me to eat till I'm full, and too worry bout other stuff because I'm gonna be working out pretty intense anyway it wont matter. It's been working. I do stuff now that I wasn't able to do before mnt hiking or heavy weights n stuff. Sorry I couldn't answer your question. Best regards
    Car
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Glad it works for you. I can't do it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that is working and you can stick with.

I will say a few things, and disregard if you wish, that is fine.

1) Your initial 4 pound drop was most likely due to water. By cutting back/out on carbs, you take away the stuff that your body is using to store water.
    So it prolly will also increase energy levels.

2) Since you are cutting carbs, you are most likely cutting back/way down on total calories consumed.
    Which in turn will start burning your stored fat to make up for the caloric deficit you are now in.
    Which is good, because you are losing weight.

3) Be aware that since you are cutting carbs, if you have a day where you "binge" on carb heavy foods (i.e. pizza).....
    Things will balloon back up real quick.

Stay on your program, and continue to work with your partner.
    If you feel the desire to put carbs back into your diet, then do so at a measured pace......don't go overboard.

During this period, take the time to do some reading and educate yourself on your needed calories.
    Understand BMR, TDEE and your macros.
    Determine what you need.

Good luck mate :drinker:
  • TCD01
    Options
    Swweeeet thx..=]
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Me too!! My sugar cravings are gone, I have a lot of energy, and I am less hungry. Also I am starting to see my body start to change again!
  • TCD01
    Options
    Speaking of sugar/beer alcohol addictions..lol The first couple of weeks.. I wanted a soda or even better a beer so bad that I wanted to strangle sum1 for one...lol I was out at a party with friends, and I had a poo face the entire time. All because of sugar withdrawal. I'm glad that crap is over with....hahah