Why does stress affect us so much?

Options
I have been having a horrible time at work lately... I come home almost everyday, crying or so stressed that I could burst into tears. Because of it, I either find myself eating something that I shouldn't, or gaining weight when I'm being good and exercising correctly. It is making me more stressed of course, which just perpetuates the situation.

Does anyone have any tips to help me relax?? I am losing my battle with cortisol... stupid hormones >.>

Replies

• jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Times like that music is my biggest ally. I have a couple of i-pods (I need 2 cos I'm always losing one) & it always amazes me how zoned out I get once I've plugged in to the right music - it sends me off to another world altogether.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are many things that can help you with stress.
    Here are a few:
    Some people find that regular exercise helps. I'm not athletic, but my wife assures me that it helps her stress level when she runs. Part of it is the hormones created when you are physically active, but I think part of it is also the fact that it gives you a chance for your brain to work while it's distracted by keeping your body moving. For that reason, jogging, swimming, or cycling are probably better for stress than things like weight training, wii fit, going to the gym, etc. -- I think there's something in the constant repetition of a motion.
    But, if you're like me, and exercise is never something you could really get into....
    I find that getting a solid 8 or 9 hours of sleep will make my days go much easier. 6 or 7 hours just doesn't cut it for me. Sure, I can function, but I get tired, cranky, and I have less willpower to lay off the hershey kisses. (Why are those even in my house?!) I've been out of college for 5 years, and that's probably the most important life lesson I've ever learned since then. Things just bother me less when my brain is awake enough to cope with things *Rationally*. <- big emphasis there. When I get tired, I get irrational and emotional, and all sorts of bad things can happen when it comes to that. If you have trouble getting to bed early enough, maybe you could consider keeping the TV off after 7... even if you can just do it most nights, you might find a difference. Or, you could try exercising. or laying off the caffeine. All are options...
    Ok, let's say you're not athletic like my wife, and you just can't bring yourself to go to bed at 9 or 10 O'clock at night. What then? You might consider taking up yoga, which many people find relaxing. I still see it as exercise, and I can't bring myself to enroll in a class, but it might be worth a shot. I can't buy all the hocus-pocus that comes with yoga, but it IS an excellent way to get more in touch with what your body is telling you.
    And, perhaps the simplest sounding, but most difficult of all-- Choose to feel differently. Studies have been done that would lead us to believe that just the way we tell ourselves we are going to feel about something can seriously affect the way we *actually* think about it. Gretchen Rubin over at the happiness project (http://www.happiness-project.com/) has some great writeups relating to this that might be worth finding.
    There are probably a ton of other ideas out there. I just want you to know what I've seen work.