cheapest gym membership?

Options
I am looking to just find a gym to go to for about a month around Christmas time. What are some of the cheaper gym memberships out there?
I live in Appleton Wisconsin if that helps

Replies

• D8vidFitness
    Options
    ones that aren't commercialized =]
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10/month but they vary greatly in quality depending on the franchise owner. Some are very nice and well maintained and others I would not even go into. So you need to really check them out. Another good one is Snap Fitness. They have a free 30 day trial but you do have to pay for a key card ($8.95 if you do it online) to get into the gym. You can go whenever you want 24 hours a day.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10/month but they vary greatly in quality depending on the franchise owner. Some are very nice and well maintained and others I would not even go into. So you need to really check them out. Another good one is Snap Fitness. They have a free 30 day trial but you do have to pay for a key card ($8.95 if you do it online) to get into the gym. You can go whenever you want 24 hours a day.

^^^this. I've been a member of both and the ones by me are quality gyms. With planet fitness there's a sign up fee too so keep in mind if you're going for a month, you'll pay 10 plus sign up. mine was $39.99 I think.

Snap was $36/month plus a sign up fee of $79.99. Really, you can't go wrong with the 30 day trial period, if all you need is a month.

But these were just my experience though as they're franchises and prices are different at each location.

Good luck!
  • betterrunfaster
    Options
    You can also ask to have the sign up fee waived or heavily discounted. I pay $45 a month for the highest tier at 24 Fitness because we got in at the opening and love my gym. But I bartered to have the sign up fee waived. Also look for gym thats only require month to month, not yearly contracts.

Expect to pay more to gyms with perks, like towels, a pool. etc. Also, some gyms have a student rate if you are currently one.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    check with your employer. My organization contracts its HR services to an HR firm that has a corporate account at 24 hour fitness. While they were signing me up, I saw the list of corporate account holders, there were hundreds of companies. I get a full membership for 39 a month, and my husband gets in on the same plan.
    Workplace wellness is very trendy right now, a lot of employers are doing something. I worked for another org that gave out pedometers, I temped at a place that gave employees paid 'walking breaks' in addition to other breaks, to walk/work out.