help im confused!

Options
lushy20
lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
iv had my calorie intake today which is 1200 iv ate just under that iv also exercised,

when i completed my entry for today it said if i carried on the way i was my body would go into starvation mode cuz im eating too few calories?

i dont get it?? do i have to eat more calories because i am exercising?
whats the point in burning off those calories if im just gunna eat them again wouldnt that be a complete waste of time in trying to lose weight?

Replies

• CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight faster according to the "you would weight ____ if everyday looked like this" if you exercise. Exercise is beter for your body anyways. It is confusing. Some people have to eat thier exercise calories to lose wieght. I find that the scale wont budge if I did so I eat my 1200 and do not eat the exercise unless Im hungry. Your getting the starvation mode message because you said you ate just under 1200. Im not sure why it makes your status say you were under your calories like its a good thing because its not. Once in a while to be under is ok but to continually be under you wont lose weight and its not healthy. Try having a small snack later so you are at 1200 or alittle above.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up is that you ARE supposed to eat yuor exercise calories. Whether you do or do not is a personal choice. MFP sets you a calorie goal, for example=1200. If you exercise and burn 500 calories then you have only given your body 700 cals to work with (1200-500=700). The 1200 MFP gives you to eat has already calculated an exercise defecit. So what it is saying is thst you are supposed to net (eat without burning with exercise) 1200 calories. So if your burn 500 and your goal is 1200 then it will give you a total of 1700 allowed for the day. I eat mine. Some only eat half.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You should really go read the New Member posts. They are on the message boards. They are marked for new members to read. They explain a lot about how this works, how everything is set up and why it's done that way.
    They are good reads.
  • megan00
    megan00 Posts: 16
    Options
    that happened me on the first day and i was thinking the same thing, exercising isnt so u can eat more was what i thought, but if u exercise your meant to eat a little more to boost your metabolism and give ur body stuff to burn off. theres alot of scientific stuff as to why you should eat a little extra if your active. theres a professional swimmer who eats like 7000+ per day and hes an ideal weight. but im not saying eat that many calories. just reach your daily limitations on what is set for you on this site. if your a little under, it might not be such a big deal.

good luck, oh and congrats on the 14lbs.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone this has made things alot clearer for me.

and thanks megan :)