Foods for iron?

Options
Hi, I grew up thinking that meat was the best food to eat for iron, but since using the MFP app I am surprised at just how little of our RDI of iron we get from one serving of meat.

I am planning on incorporating more spinach into my diet next week.

Are then any other foods I can add to my diet to increase my iron uptake?

Or do I need to start supplementing?

Most days I am getting between 30-50% of my RDI, according to the app.

Replies

• lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer, but I'd like to find out if anyone here does.

I've noticed I'm always low on iron, but last Sunday I ate two servings of pot roast, an egg, and spinach...and did not meet the RDA. I mean, is it just not possible? I do love spinach and broccoli, but that was an abnormal amount of red meat for a person to eat in a day.

Anyway, I looked it up, and it looks like the best food for iron might be clams and oysters. So next weekend I might steam some clams. But they don't really keep, and they're too expensive to eat all the time. So they're not going to be a real answer.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, a related question: if it's that hard to get enough through eating normal, healthful foods, is the RDA just unrealistic and inaccurate? What's it based on anyway?
  • zensugi
    Options
    Look for lamb liver in MFP.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't usually track my iron, but just looked at my diary report on my phone, and yesterday I only hit 45%, Thursday I managed 105% - diary is open if you want to look at what I ate.

When I donate blood I usually have to bump up my iron to meet their minimum requirement, so I eat Cream of Wheat cereal for 3 or 4 days in the week prior to the donation, and it helps me pass the iron test with flying colors.

Here's a list of iron rich foods on my blood bank's website: http://www.donateblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    One good easy way to add more iron is to start cooking in cast iron. It won't show up on your tracker of course, but it will show up where it matters - in your body.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am anemic myself so I try to get my fill everyday. I snack on pumpkin seeds daily as they have iron and they are just a filing snack! I also enjoy turkey,dried fruits ( raisins are my favorite! ) I believe I read somewhere about combining iron high foods with Vitamin C to increase the amount of iron absorbed into the body. I take daily iron tablets as well.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't usually track my iron, but just looked at my diary report on my phone, and yesterday I only hit 45%, Thursday I managed 105% - diary is open if you want to look at what I ate.

When I donate blood I usually have to bump up my iron to meet their minimum requirement, so I eat Cream of Wheat cereal for 3 or 4 days in the week prior to the donation, and it helps me pass the iron test with flying colors.

Here's a list of iron rich foods on my blood bank's website: http://www.donateblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm

Thank you for that link.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I just did some research, and apparently my small portion of dark chocolate is helping me get my iron intake, but it isn't being measured by the entry I make. I will edit that item so it include the iron content of the chocolate (after some more research to confirm the iron content of dark chocolate).
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Black strap molasses

Life cereal (and many others, I'm sure) is fortified with iron.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also, a related question: if it's that hard to get enough through eating normal, healthful foods, is the RDA just unrealistic and inaccurate? What's it based on anyway?

I never meet the RDA, but I was tested recently and was fine. Shrug.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Mussels and other shellfish are great sources of iron. Chocolate is a pretty darn tasty source of iron, but keep in mind that your body doesn't absorb iron that isn't from meat sources as efficiently. You can increase non-heme (non-meat) iron absorption by consuming it with a source of vitamin C. A good example of a dish that does this is tabouleh (parsley has more iron in it than spinach does).
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    One good easy way to add more iron is to start cooking in cast iron. It won't show up on your tracker of course, but it will show up where it matters - in your body.

^ This.

I was anemic in my youth (severe enough where I could not donate blood) until my doctor suggested I start cooking in cast iron. The problem was solved.

Below is a story of using chunks of cast iron to solve iron deficiencies in Cambodia.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/11/12/canadians_lucky_iron_fish_saves_lives_in_cambodia.html

Chris-Charles-Fish-sized.jpg

48403347.png
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Lots of breakfast cereals have a good amount of iron! I always eat a big bowl of Cheerios before donating blood :)
  • Dewymorning
    Options

^ This.

I was anemic in my youth (severe enough where I could not donate blood) until my doctor suggested I start cooking in cast iron. The problem was solved.

Below is a story of using chunks of cast iron to solve iron deficiencies in Cambodia.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/11/12/canadians_lucky_iron_fish_saves_lives_in_cambodia.html

Chris-Charles-Fish-sized.jpg

48403347.png

That is such a cool story. :3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you actually deficient in iron? I wouldn't recommend supplementation without checking with your doctor. While our bodies are capable of getting rid of several overages, iron is not one of them. Supplementation can lead to toxic levels. If you haven' already, start with your doctor.
  • RachtheOzkiwi
    RachtheOzkiwi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I grew up thinking that meat was the best food to eat for iron, but since using the MFP app I am surprised at just how little of our RDI of iron we get from one serving of meat.

Sweet potato, spinach, lentils, all leafy greens.

I am all most vegan, still have a small amount of cheese every other day. And according to MFP I always go over my RDI of iron, no meat at all in my diet. If anything my iron levels have improved eating no meat.

Eating meat for iron is the biggest lie ever.