How do you keep the weight off during Thanksgiving?

Options
2»

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to keep my Thanksgiving recipes, as is.

but for those of you considering tweeking your recipes, here's an interesting article on how to cut calories when preparing some of the classic T-day dishes....

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/5-healthy-thanksgiving-dishes-with-classic-roots.html/?ref=YF
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what you all are planning on doing for the holidays to keep off extra unwanted weight?

Every forkful is a choice.

That means the power is completely in my own hands.

What could be better than that?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I always feel that it's not the big celebration meals that made me gain weight, it's the small treats that I let myself have during the rest of the time.

3500 cals in addition to my normal maintenance is actually quite a lot of food in one go. However 1 Christmas biscuit is 100 calories and if I have 1 maybe 2 in addition to my maintenance every day of December that is in the worst case scenario (2 every day) 6100 calories extra and I won't feel like I have totally overindulged either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    For me it's a combination of extra exercise and portion control.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I stay on schedule with my workout plan through the week that Thanksgiving falls in, and I also stick to my normal meal plans for everyday other than Thursday. Then I don't get all upset when I have some tasty foods on Thanksgiving. Friday I am back on my normal schedule, only with more turkey dishes for dinner, lol.

The problem with Thanksgiving for most people isn't the actual meal or that specific day, it is the lack of self control to not continue to eat like a glutton afterwards.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. This has been weighing on my mind quite heavily lately. I will keep to my normal routine with my walks and log everything. The thing I am actually stressing about is taking the time to input the recipes and calculate the calories per serving since I will be making everything. But that's ok, I can do it and you can too!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am quick adding a best estimate because this is one of very few days I am not going to overevaluate my food choices. I will exercise Thanksgiving morning, I have gone a bit under on calories since last Sunday, I will load up on veggies and only eat the things I truly love ..I cannot guarantee moderation. Then I will climb back on the wagon and hit the gym friday also (and avoid the scale for a few days...no biggie!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    light breakfast and lunch. load up on fresh veggies and salad along with portion controlled high-calorie goodies. stay within maintenance calories--i am forgetting about my deficit for that day.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I will keep the weight off by not treating every day like Thanksgiving. Just Thanksgiving like Thanksgiving.

Nobody gets fat in a day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Well, it's one day...you don't get fat in one day.

this.

/thread
  • SarahElizabeth416
    SarahElizabeth416 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Small portions when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner and the dessert after! I am not even going to acknowledge the bread, so that should help. I am also signed up for a 5K tomorrow morning which will put me in the right mindset for tomorrow night :)
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Put MyFitnessPal down until it's over. Go for a run afterwards if it makes you feel better :-)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Search> Thanksgiving.

Surely you can find an answer in the 40,000 threads on Thanksgiving that have been posted over the last week.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's one day so if you go over it's not a big deal. Enjoy yourself and just get back on track the next day.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Search> Thanksgiving.

Surely you can find an answer in the 40,000 threads on Thanksgiving that have been posted over the last week.

:flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Small portions when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner and the dessert after!
    Shaking_head.gif
    I am not even going to acknowledge the bread, so that should help.
    136134325638571251.GIF
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Small portions, load up on the veggies, eat slowly, log everything, enjoy the day and get back on the wagon Friday :smile:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I decided screw it

I'm gonna stay fat this Thanksgiving

Bring on the foodz!!!!
  • KMPowell1980
    Options
    I'm going to practice portion control and exercise. I'm also going to avoid foods I tend to over-do it on by making them with dairy and/or gluten so that I can't eat them without getting sick or a migraine. My husband can take any left-over pie to work. Around the holidays I tend to eat too much for a few days, gain weight, get discouraged, and say "forget it" and just keep eating because I don't want to have to "start over." This is until I gain enough that my clothes aren't fitting or I see myself in a picture and then I go back on a diet and exercise plan. I refuse to get on that crazy cycle this year.