what was your longest plateau?

Options
And did you ride it out or did you have to switch it up, diet or exercise, to end it?

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    People don't get on plateaus.

They inadvertently eat at maintenance for a while, but there's no such thing as a plateau in the real sense.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Without losing anything.. 3 weeks. But it's because I skipped a period. Typically I only lose after it, so every 2-3 weeks anyway. So it's not really a plateau, just a stall, which is normal.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1 week with no change but Ive only been at this for 3 months.

My loss varies though 2lb one week 1/2 lb on different week.
  • r3ll1989
    r3ll1989 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    2 weeks. I ate at maintenance for a couple of days and I went back to a deficit. I started losing again. I did not change my exercise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    About 4 days. I reduced sodium, hard, for a couple of days and it was gone.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've never had one :flowerforyou:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Well, there was all those years when I didn't really pay attention to what I was eating, or rather, my calorie total. Does that count as a "plateau"? Perhaps a promontory, or a mesa? :drinker:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Zero days.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I had one that lasted for about 5 months, but it was totally my own fault (as they tend to be). I had my base net calories set a smidge too high, I was overestimating my burns, and I was nibbling things here and there without logging it. All of those things combined wiped out my deficit.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Well, there was all those years when I didn't really pay attention to what I was eating, or rather, my calorie total. Does that count as a "plateau"? Perhaps a promontory, or a mesa? :drinker:
    My immediate thought was: 20 years.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't lose every week, mainly due to the fact that I have only little to lose so I don't have a high deficit anyway and then I 'gain' both around ovulation and the actual period (it's water). I guess I'd check my numbers if you've not lost anything for a month. Good luck :-)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    17 days, but the average monthly loss still ended up in the expected range. I just recently decided to drop my intake goal by 200 calories because the stalls have been getting more frequent AND the monthly losses are not where they need to be. When you get closer to goal and are only trying to lose 0.5 pounds per week, there is not a lot of room for error so I am trying to give myself a little more room so that my errors won't put me at maintenance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I stalled for 3 months, but it turned out that I just had reached the point where I had to start weighing food instead of using measuring cups.

One week is not something to be concerned about. I only record my weight monthly anyway because the rest of the time my weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    People don't get on plateaus.

They inadvertently eat at maintenance for a while, but there's no such thing as a plateau in the real sense.

Yeah, exactly. I've maintained for 3+ months before. But then I cleaned up my diet and magically I started losing weight again, who knew right? Other than that, my weight normally maintains the same rough amount for a couple weeks at a time and then whoosh, I lose 2-3lbs. That is typical and expected, however. If you don't lose any weight or size in at least a month, you're just maintaining.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So far I have had (2) six week plateaus in the year I have been dieting...and these are not "I slacked off for 6 weeks" things either..legitimate! Right now I am in the homestretch so things are moving slowly...persistance and staving off frustration is my goal now...lol
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    20 months, running about 10-12 half marathons per year, eating about 1000 calories - after 60 pounds or so, my weight loss completely stopped. I lost a couple of inches, but not much to show other than that. I did cardio about 15-18 hours a week and bodyweight work on weekends and yeah, like I said, ate about 1000 calories a day.

I tried to just be consistent and stick with my crazy running everyday and my super strict diet.

Nothing changed and I started putting a little bit more weight on.

I finally swallowed my ego, admitted I might not know what Im doing and got some help. I changed my eating habits (almost doubled my allowance) and changed cardio to the smallest percentage of my workouts.

Then I reached my goal weight, lost even more and no longer feel like Im doing all the work and getting only a fraction of results.
  • target_XX0
    target_XX0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I finally swallowed my ego, admitted I might not know what Im doing and got some help. I changed my eating habits (almost doubled my allowance) and changed cardio to the smallest percentage of my workouts.

Then I reached my goal weight, lost even more and no longer feel like Im doing all the work and getting only a fraction of results.

I'm interested in more details, as I already lost a bunch and been in a rut for a few days...
    I'm trying to eat 1300 or 1400 a day, and do 500-600 calories cardio 6 times a week.
    And it seems it stopped working...

Can I check your trainings ?
  • cajun_qt
    Options

I'm interested in more details, as I already lost a bunch and been in a rut for a few days...
    I'm trying to eat 1300 or 1400 a day, and do 500-600 calories cardio 6 times a week.
    And it seems it stopped working...

Can I check your trainings ?

Here is your factual answer - everyone is different, you will have to experiment with your own body.