I know we've all seen this before....

Options
carajo
carajo Posts: 532 Member
But i am curious....what is everyone out there doing to be successful? Sticking to calorie defecit exactly? Eating all or half exercise calories? Ignoring exercise calories? I have been eating the exercise cals. when i am hungry for them, and not when i don't need them, however i just started logging again, and am curious what has made YOU see results? Thanks ;)

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I will my exercise calories if I need to get back about 1200cals for the day or if I am hungry, seen better sucess eating more of them
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I set my calories at a number that is 250 calories higher than my BMR. I do P90X in the morning with my husband and Slim in 6 with church ladies in the evening 6 times a week. I don't eat my exercise calories. I think ratios are really important and I think the default ratio on MFP is too high in carbs. I eat a 40/40/20 ratio and the protein really helps me to feel satisfied and my cravings have decreased a lot as well.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I only eat my exercise cals, when I'm really hungry. Usually I try to stay under my given cal goal, but getting as close as possible to it. I try exercising 6 times a week, cardio (just because I don't like strength training, but I will have to do it sooner or later LOL). One rest day per week. So far I have seen good results, constantly losing.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em! I have found that if I don't I want to eat eat eat (maybe psychological?) Plus, I want to eat like this forever, not just while I am trying to lose. I don't think I could live forever only taking in 1200 calories on top of exercising, ya know? Give my body only 1000/day for the rest of my days? BOO! Good luck!
  • carajo
    Options
    I have p90x and Turbo Jam and i just ordered slim in 6...i hear its great? Do you enjoy it? I swear i have every workout dvd ever made because i get bored and have to change up the routine!!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I totally ignore my exercise calories so that when I do exercise that creates a larger deficit. Also so that I don't get used to eating more in case I don't workout as often or an injury. This way I just get in the habit of eating what I need and activites drive me into a negative calorie balance.

If I am feeling hungry I always drink a large glass of cold water, it works 99% of the time.
  • carajo
    Options
    i TOTALLY do the psychological thing too!!!! I swear somedays i can out eat anybody...and not even be hungry...arrggg!! I have been on for about a week now and with eating my exercise cals. i haven't even wanted to do that so i think you are totally right...i was probably starving myself, so after a while i would binge like crazy! I also workout 7 days a week, and staty active during the day as much as possibe...so thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Seven days a week I do 45 minutes on the elliptical in the morning and 45 minutes again at night. MWF I do some strength training (crunches / push-ups / hand held weights). Some days I take a brisk walk at work for 30 minutes and other days I go to a nearby driving range for an hour (it burns more calories than you might think). On those days I can skip the evening elliptical.

I keep entertained on the elliptical by watching episodes of Star Trek the Next Generation or Star Trek Deep Space Nine on DVD. They’re almost exactly 45 minutes each. I found a place on the net where I can get the entire series (7 years) for about $40. At Target they’re more like $60 per season!

For food I just kind of eat reasonable portions and healthier choices (considering where I eat anyway). For breakfast I have cereal or pop tarts or mini-doughnuts with Rice Krispie Treats and once a week or so I have breakfast pizza. For lunch I eat at Wendy's, Pizza Hut, Blimpie, Quiznos, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Culvers, .... you get the idea. I use the calories from their sites. For supper we usually eat at home and have ham, roast beef, steak, soup, mac-n-cheese, lots of variety, and always milk. I do have a little snack or treat mid-afternoon (M&M's / Twizzlers).

I drink 8 or 9 cups of water most days along with 4, 5, or 6 Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi's.

I take a multivitamin and Move Free supplements (for knee health).

So for me the key is to stay under my calorie suggestion from MFP. I do eat my exercise calories. If I'm 500 calories under then I'm at the 2 pounds per week rate. If I hit the number then I'm at 1 pound per week. Sometimes I'm even over the calorie goal but rarely enough so that I should gain any weight.

I've been on a plateau for a few weeks but I think I'm starting to inch down again. I have a goal that is only 3 pounds and 3 weeks away.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat them when I'm hungry for them... I find if I try and avoid "narrowing" my deficit I'm crazy hungry the next day when I'm not working out and I don't have as many calories available to me.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat them when I feel the need to. The last time I was on a diet and lost weight I just watched calories and exercised at least 3 days a week. I of course stopped and most if has come back. I'm now back on the bandwagon and I've just started P90X and watching the calories again. The great thing is when you get to your goal weight the correct way you can gradually add back more calories as long as you keep going to the gym because the muscle you've gained while you've lost weight now burns more calories, which is always awesome! lol
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    I eat sensibly.

I don't eat Junk if I can get away with it.
    If I do eat junk it's 'good' junk (such as shish Kebab rather than Doner) as we can't all be saints.

I excersize 2 - 4 times a week.
    I walk to the station rather than taking the bus.

I've lost over 40lbs so far, still plenty to go.

There is no 'magic cure' as far as I'm concerned it's just about doing the sensible things. What MFP gives me is some guidelines that I try to stick to but I don't panic if I go a little over or under on something or the other.

Edit: I do eat 'some' of my excersize calories. But sometimes I feel I don't need to. I think if I really try to learn to listen to what my body is telling me I can work out what I need, but sometimes there's interference. For example. "I crave nando's." = I probably need a bit more protein :)
  • Halloweenmom2
    Options
    I eat sensibly.

I don't eat Junk if I can get away with it.
    If I do eat junk it's 'good' junk (such as shish Kebab rather than Doner) as we can't all be saints.

I excersize 2 - 4 times a week.
    I walk to the station rather than taking the bus.

I've lost over 40lbs so far, still plenty to go.

There is no 'magic cure' as far as I'm concerned it's just about doing the sensible things. What MFP gives me is some guidelines that I try to stick to but I don't panic if I go a little over or under on something or the other.

Edit: I do eat 'some' of my excersize calories. But sometimes I feel I don't need to. I think if I really try to learn to listen to what my body is telling me I can work out what I need, but sometimes there's interference. For example. "I crave nando's." = I probably need a bit more protein :)

BUT ---- You're a guy! Men seem to lose weight WAY faster than women. Ugh! LOL..
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em! I have found that if I don't I want to eat eat eat (maybe psychological?) Plus, I want to eat like this forever, not just while I am trying to lose. I don't think I could live forever only taking in 1200 calories on top of exercising, ya know? Give my body only 1000/day for the rest of my days? BOO! Good luck!

This is how I feel, and the reason I eat my exercise calories. When I get into something I go all the way, which does NOT work for weightloss in the long-term. I've learned the hard way, so I stick fast to my 500 calorie deficit. I eat all day, and It just so happens that whenever I'm hungry it always fits into my caloric needs. I feel like the setting I have now are just about perfect for my goals, and I can still have the foods I really like every now and then.

That being said, I try to UNDERestimate my calories for exercise. If I put in my activity and time and it looks like too many calories burned, I'll go down on time until I feel it's realistic. I also report ALL of my food, and I mean EVERYTHING. That way I know without a shadow of a doubt that I'm maintaining ATLEAST a 500 calorie deficit, and usually more.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    But i am curious....what is everyone out there doing to be successful? Sticking to calorie defecit exactly? Eating all or half exercise calories? Ignoring exercise calories? I have been eating the exercise cals. when i am hungry for them, and not when i don't need them, however i just started logging again, and am curious what has made YOU see results? Thanks ;)

I do not eat them, or if I do go into them, it is by about 100, the rest just get left. I do cardio (treadmill) three times per week and one long walk for a fourth exercise day.

Lost 26lbs so far (in 11 weeks), one week the weight loss stood still, other than that, there has been a loss every week.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. MFP is the first website/diet I've ever seen recommending you eat them back. It doesn't make sense to me. Calories in and calories out, right? Besides, just think about all the other people out there dieting on different calorie counting websites or just with a pen and notebook; I really doubt they've ever eaten back exercise calories.

Then again, it's not like I'm starving. Never really felt like I needed the extra calories.(And I tried it once and didn't lose a thing) I also heard that it's nice to wait until you hit a plateau before you start eating them... Jumpstart your metabolism again or something. I might start eating them back whenever I hit a plateau. For now... I don't think it's necessary. But, there are A LOT of MFP users who can eat them back, and they lose weight perfectly fine. Why not eat them back if you can? :) More food. Hahaha.