Would it be a bad idea?

Options
I dont like exercising and i dont have an exercise partner but i feel bad if i dont exercise so i try to go for a walking with my dog every other day but she is kind of aggressive to other dogs so sometimes a relaxing walk turns into a nightmare so i thought instead of taking the dog with me, talking with a friend while i am walking would make time go easy but i am not sure if it would effect the exercise negatively

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Is it a bad idea to walk with your dog? As far as exercising yourself goes - why not just walk by yourself? I don't have an exercise partner and when I started losing weight, I was mostly just going for walks for my exercise. (I later added strength training and running).

That doesn't address the dog needing to be exercised, but doesn't she need to be walked more often than every other day?
  • visabsoluta
    Options
    I accidentally posted it before i finished writing. I was going to ask would talking to someone on the phone while walking be a bad idea.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    NVM
  • phraxathity
    Options
    There is nothing bad in taltking to someone on the phone while walking, as long as you won't fall over : D
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No...not a bad idea...it's called multitasking.
  • deanronaldhayes
    Options
    try a dog leash nose loop ?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I dont like exercising and i dont have an exercise partner but i feel bad if i dont exercise so i try to go for a walking with my dog every other day but she is kind of aggressive to other dogs so sometimes a relaxing walk turns into a nightmare so i thought talking with a friend while i am walking would make time go easy but i am not sure if it would effect the exercise negatively

Can you take your dog for obedience training, let her socialize with other dogs, get some advice, and teach her to be less aggressive? I love walking my dog -- she gets me off the couch every day. Sometimes we run into dogs that are aggressive that want to attack her and I wonder if the owners ever let those dogs socialize with other dogs when they were puppies -- if you don't, that's how they become aggressive.

Talking on the phone doesn't affect how many calories you burn -- just pay attention to the sidewalk so you don't trip!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I accidentally posted it before i finished writing. I was going to ask would talking to someone on the phone while walking be a bad idea.

Well "they" (y'know, the people who say things) say that a good benchmark for your pace during cardio is when you can talk, but not sing ... so seems like no problem.
  • visabsoluta
    Options
    My english is not good so i couldnt ask what i wanted to ask. I was wondering if i would get more tired and be out of breath or something like that :) sorry for the inconvenience :)
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Train/socialize your dog or walk her in areas away from other dogs - she could probably use walking more often. I really enjoy the exercise I get with my dog - she has been doing everyday of C25K with me :P

Feel free to talk on your phone but don't be one of those people that tune the noises around you completely out. It's really inappropriate to take up the sidewalk and not hear a person asking to get around you. Also be sure to pay attention when crossing streets. Otherwise, have fun with it!

P.S. Walking/running alone is great too. Just pop in some headphones (on low so you can still hear around you) and listen to music.

*Edit: Just saw your post - talking is fine when working out, especially if you're just walking :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I was born a dog owner - or at least my parents had two German Shepherds when I was born - and I have had dogs most of my soon-to be 45 years. I would not talk on the phone while walking an aggressive dog. I would take said dog to obedience training and I would get it a nose lead as others suggested, but I still wouldn't talk on the phone while walking it. Some dogs require a lot of attention to keep them under control.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I was born a dog owner - or at least my parents had two German Shepherds when I was born - and I have had dogs most of my soon-to be 45 years. I would not talk on the phone while walking an aggressive dog. I would take said dog to obedience training and I would get it a nose lead as others suggested, but I still wouldn't talk on the phone while walking it. Some dogs require a lot of attention to keep them under control.

THIS, Personally, I don't find taking my dog for a walk to be an enjoyable experience anymore ... We've been attacked a few times, he's a pitbull, and counter-intuitively, does absolutely nothing to defend himself ... He's mentally "special" ... I just run around with him in the back yard for a bit to give him exercise ...

You have to find something you enjoy doing ... Personally, I LOVE running, Pilates (Reformer), weight lifting, and hooping (YouTube it, it's basically doing tricks with a hula hoop ... I've gotten very good at body hooping ...) ... I can do the latter for HOURS, and not get bored, just put on some music and rock out ...
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    excuses.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...i try to go for a walking with my dog every other day but she is kind of aggressive to other dogs so sometimes a relaxing walk turns into a nightmare...

"Every other day"? I'm calling Cesar, that's likely a contributing factor to the behavioural issues.

Dogs need to be walked everyday. Depending on the breed, more than once a day.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be a bad idea. Not much different than walking with your dog. Instead of holding the leash, you're holding a phone. You'll probably be so distracted by your conversation, that you'll walk further. Have fun. :)