For those of you who have lost over 40 lbs!

Halloweenmom2
Halloweenmom2 Posts: 44
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to lose 40 lbs exactly. I'd like to know what has kept you motivated and what you do on a daily basis? In regards to your calories and exercise. Have you ever hit a plateu? What helps you stay focused? What happens when you have a bad day?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Replies

• alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    I've had trouble for a while losing weight. Usually can drop 10 pounds - then it stops - then I stop. Here's what I think is different for me this time after failing to lose this weight over the past 10 years.

1) From my Larry north book: "Any diet you can't do for the rest of your life is not worth doing for a day" - Amen - I've learned this the hard way, but this time I'm trying to be less extreme. So when it's someones birthday - I have some birthday cake - that's realistic. If I don't lose weight that day - there's tomorrow.

2) Group exercise classes at my local rec center. This is an interesting one - I really don't have any relationships in there, but I tend to see the same people in there over and over - if I miss a week - someone might say - hey where have you been? For some reason I feel like they are glad I'm there - and it's been motivatiing.

3) MP3 player for walking - walking can be boring - so finding a book on mp3, or some good bible teaching has been nice.

4) Knowing today what I'm going to eat tomorrow. I eat 5 times a day - smaller meals - good proteins and carbs - I have to plan ahead 1 day

5) Maybe this should be number one: finding foods that I love that fit within my program.

6) Springerhill ranch 98% lean ground beef. Makes number 5 work great.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I have lost 43 lbs on Weight Watcher and recently joined MFP. I highly recomment WW if you are able to do it although I have grown to love MFP too although it is a lot more independant. I need to be held accountable and the WW meetings really did that for me. On a daily basis- I tell myself NOTHING tastes as good as skinny feels. Find a buddy to encourage you. Be careful of those that are not encouraging because they will try to make you stumble (I encountered this in my work place- jealousy). For the first 35 lbs, I focused solely on my food intake and really did not exersize at all. Although it worked for me- I do not recommend it! It creates bad habits :) Clean out your fridge and pantry- do not even stock temptation! If you find a weakness (mine is candy- even WW candy or sugar free- I can never have just one) GET RID OF IT. If you have a bad day, you start again the next. Even if you eat one bad thing, it should not give you a "free pass" for the rest of the day. You can start anew with every meal. Why choose failure when success is an option? Good luck!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    I dropped 100 lbs. 5 years ago, in 1 year. What did it for me were a couple keys, the first being 100% commitment. When we have serious weight to drop, we have to plan our whole day around eating and exercise. Those things won't be your priority forever, but for now you need to be extremely aware of what you're eating and how you're moving. When I did it I didn't have anything like MFP. This site makes this first key MUCH easier.

The second key was routine. I ate the same thing every day for most meals. I went and played racquetball EVERY DAY for an hour. I even took a timer and wouldn't leave, no matter what, until my hour was up. No matter how tired or beat I was, I'd go and stay the whole hour every day. I even went out in a couple hurricanes (that was the year in Florida that we had 5 hurricanes cross over central Florida.). The routine helped me seperate emotion from the process of losing weight. When you do the same thing every day, you don't have to think about how hungry you are, and you especially don't have to think about what you're missing. You just do the same thing you did yesterday.

You'll find that once you commit 100% to the process, the way you think and feel about food will start to shift, and the choices will get easier to make. This is how we make changes that last. We don't change WHAT we eat, we change how we SEE food and what food's role is in our lives.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    I dropped 100 lbs. 5 years ago, in 1 year. What did it for me were a couple keys, the first being 100% commitment. When we have serious weight to drop, we have to plan our whole day around eating and exercise. Those things won't be your priority forever, but for now you need to be extremely aware of what you're eating and how you're moving. When I did it I didn't have anything like MFP. This site makes this first key MUCH easier.

The second key was routine. I ate the same thing every day for most meals. I went and played racquetball EVERY DAY for an hour. I even took a timer and wouldn't leave, no matter what, until my hour was up. No matter how tired or beat I was, I'd go and stay the whole hour every day. I even went out in a couple hurricanes (that was the year in Florida that we had 5 hurricanes cross over central Florida.). The routine helped me seperate emotion from the process of losing weight. When you do the same thing every day, you don't have to think about how hungry you are, and you especially don't have to think about what you're missing. You just do the same thing you did yesterday.

You'll find that once you commit 100% to the process, the way you think and feel about food will start to shift, and the choices will get easier to make. This is how we make changes that last. We don't change WHAT we eat, we change how we SEE food and what food's role is in our lives.

Awesome! I totally agree, routine & commitment, the keys to creating a new habit! Also being relentless, that is what brought me my success!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Like the poster above I also lost 43 lbs on Weight Watchers about 2 years ago. Its a good program. I found that weighing in, with a person recording it, was an incentive. I don't trust myself! I continue to attend meetings when I can, and still weigh in monthly as a lifetime member.

I never once approached my weight loss as a "diet". From the get -go, I said I needed to change my life. I changed my diet, and exercise routines, making it a part of my every day lifestyle. Once you meet goal, you have to continue to live the healthy changes that you made through out the journey. My lifestyle and my diet is no different today than it is when I started on my "diet".

Its an ever changing and evolving journey. I am always researching and learning new and interesting foods that fit into my "new" lifestyle. But it is so worth the journey to feel and look good. I can look in the mirror and like what I see. I can run through the parking lot in a heavy rainstorm, and not feel like I need to collapse as I enter the store. {and I left my husband behind me, because he could not keep up with me!} Its not an easy journey. There will be some great weeks and some frustrating weeks, but well worth the end results. Keep going and don't give up.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    43 lbs (so far) and I lost 11 of it here.

For me, the key is simplicity. Before I came here I had a simple rule. No potatoes, no breads, no rice, no pasta.

Now I count calories. I remapped the food log to Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner, Evening Snack and there you are with 6 small meals a day. Before I didn't eat all day until evening. Now I do.

If you don't want to be hungry, drink your water. It makes a huge difference.

Oh also, you know that really annoying animated .gif you see on some websites of the incredible shrinking woman (one weird tip)? I'm working really hard to visualize that woman, less the annoying bits, as me. It's helping :)

I did wind up plateauing, which is why I came here. I needed to change things up. Then I plateaued here. Part of that was a reaction to new drugs from my doctor, but part was because I had set my expectations too high and my calories were set too low. Once I increased my cals by 250 daily and ate part of my exercise calories instead of starving myself, things got back on track. That was a huge learning experience.

I plan on keeping a food journal for life. My subconscious is too devious otherwise.

Mirii
This discussion has been closed.