Dieting

Options
I'm really confused on "dieting" about carbs fats proteins exercise. What helps you lose weight? I might sound "dumb" but can anyone help me. I exercise from home (no weights) jumping jacks, crunches, push ups, laps on the stairs and squats.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit that is below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) consistently over a period of time is what causes you to lose weight.

Exercise increases your TDEE and should be done more for fitness than for creating large deficits. It is about keeping a healthy cardiovascular system from cardio exercises, and maintaining/building lean muscle through strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what counts most. You adjust your macros to the type of exercises and physical work you do in most cases. Lifting is usually more on proteins. Endurance is usually more on carbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    Options
    Here is a link to a pretty decent explanation of what macronutrients are and their function in your body.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/nutritional_disorders/nutrition_general_considerations/overview_of_nutrition.html?qt=&sc=&alt=
  • anedley
    Options
    I know I need dieting for dummies. What's TDEE :(
  • wheird
    Options
    I know I need dieting for dummies. What's TDEE :(

Psst, look in the parenthesis after I typed out TDEE. ;)
  • anedley
    Options
    Sorry ;( I think I over think it sometimes, I get it!
  • wheird
    Options
    Haha, don't worry about it. If you have more questions, even ones that you feel are dumb, feel free to ask. We all start somewhere.
  • anedley
    Options
    Is "at home" exercises I do enough of a work out?
  • wheird
    Options
    Depends on exactly what you're doing at home.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I heard that compound exercises such as body weight exercises are really effective as they workout multiple muscles ..can you add a workout video that you can do at home? I recommend Leslie Sanson walk off the fat DVDs. You can play them on YouTube. I love the workouts and you don't need to much working out space to do them. Good luck!