Puy Lentils- How do I make them tasty?

Options
weelissa
weelissa Posts: 89 Member
I love puy lentils! I had grilled lamb on a bed of puy lentils in a restaurant a few weeks ago and they tasted phenomenal!

Only thing is... I have not got a clue how to cook them so that they are tasty and full of flavour.

I tried mixing them with some herbs but they just didn't taste nice. Has anyone got any tasty recipes they could share? I'd like to be able to make a batch and then eat them over a few days, hot or cold with different meats or in salads.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I buy lentils to make soup - don't know if they are the same as what you are using. The lentil soup is easy! one can of stewed tomatoes, a bag of frozen mixed veggies and beef broth. sometimes I throw in different fresh veggies. so easy and really good
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Chow Hound post on Puy/French Green Lentils

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/447726
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Mmm, i'd like to know how to cook tasty lentils too, saving this to read tomorrow :)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like to boil them in chicken stock or vegetable stock and then add creme fraiche and a bit of finely chopped fresh parsley and a dash of lemon juice. Or for a more healthier option, use fat free Total Greek yogurt instead. I love it with grilled salmon. :love:
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is all great stuff. Can't wait to give them a go at the weekend! Thanks folks.
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the difference is between all the different kinds of lentils but I make this recipe with brown lentils. It is delicious and I've turned some of my friends onto lentils this way! :flowerforyou:

http://www.injennieskitchen.com/2010/02/lentil-ricotta-meatballs.html
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Before serving add a splash of wine vinegar! Seriously is amazing!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I cook them with garlic,herbs,tomatoes and a little stock.

Another way I really love puy lentils is cokked in a chilli con carne,and it bulks it out so you dont need rice....tastes amazing!