How many calories was in this pizza?

Options
I went to my local vegetarian pizzeria and bought a 9" vegan pizza (meaning no cheese), and it looks like this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a68f3c7726d69d46b2940f5f9a2395e1/tumblr_mwr44hhpiD1t10yi0o1_500.jpg

It is simply vegetables with tomato sauce. Thin-crust.

The thing is I ate the whole thing in one seating (along with a snack) and I was wondering if that's too much... I don't even feel full

Replies

• 0nesecret
    0nesecret Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Actually I measured the box and it's slightly less than 8 inches. I'm guessing the pizza was really around 7 inches in diameter.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    How many slices? Probably 100cal a slice for vegan with no veggies. So 6 slices, 600cal.
  • 0nesecret
    Options
    Exactly as it is in the picture, so 6 slices.

Seems strange that I didn't feel stuffed after eating 900 calories then (I ate mung bean soup and a pear after :noway: )
  • howcanihowcani
    Options
    I found online that an Amy's roasted vegetable pizza (no cheese) has 280 calories per 4 ounces but I have no idea how much the pizza in your picture weighed. Of course, that's a frozen pizza so it probably has more calories than what you ate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Here's one website: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-presidents-choice-wood-fired-thin-i87873

Vegetarian pizza is also in the MFP website, but sometimes those calories are underestimated.

If the restaurant doesn't have nutritional information, you might need to estimate.

I disagree six slices would be 100 calories per slice. You have to take into consideration the crust and the sauce. I think you are looking more at about 175-200 calories per slice.
  • 0nesecret
    Options
    Of course, that's a frozen pizza so it probably has more calories than what you ate.

Actually it was freshly baked.
  • 0nesecret
    Options
    I disagree six slices would be 100 calories per slice. You have to take into consideration the crust and the sauce. I think you are looking more at about 175-200 calories per slice.

1200 calories for that pizza seems a bit ridiculous though. It was really only 7" with nothing but tomato sauce (wasn't that much either, as can kind of be seen in the picture) and some vegetables. It's roughly as big as both my hands placed next to one another.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Of course it seems ridiculous. However, I doubt any slice of pizza has only 100 calorie in it. You can estimate too and say 150 calories per slice.

Did you ask the restaurant for nutritional information? If not, you could always call them and ask.

Take a look at this and see how many calories are in the different kinds of pizza: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/pizza

Yours might be in there, and none are 100 calorie per slice.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it depends on so many things actually

1, How do they do the dough? Do they add oil or sugar to the dough?
    2, What was added to the sauce other then tomatoes?
    3, what sort of veggies i.e. were the pre-roasted with oil before being put onto the pizza or just as is?

good luck
  • 0nesecret
    Options
    Of course it seems ridiculous. However, I doubt any slice of pizza has only 100 calorie in it. You can estimate too and say 150 calories per slice.

Did you ask the restaurant for nutritional information? If not, you could always call them and ask.

Take a look at this and see how many calories are in the different kinds of pizza: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/pizza

Yours might be in there, and none are 100 calorie per slice.

They all have cheese though, which is highly calorific.

I suppose it's possible, but I feel doubtful. An average 9" thin crust pizza base is around 350-400 calories. The one I had wasn't as big as a full 9 inches. Half a cup of traditional pizza sauce is less than 100 calories The veggies themselves can't have that many calories either.
  • 0nesecret
    Options

3, what sort of veggies i.e. were the pre-roasted with oil before being put onto the pizza or just as is?

good luck

I actually watched them make it (it's an open-faced kitchen kind of thing). I have no idea about the dough but they just taste very thin/crispy and plain but I can't be sure about the ingredients. Definitely couldn't feel oil though. I don't know about the sauce either - I'm expecting a traditional canned tomato sauce. The veggies were put onto the pizza just as is and they seasoned it when everything was done.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

good luck

I actually watched them make it (it's an open-faced kitchen kind of thing). I have no idea about the dough but they just taste very thin/crispy and plain but I can't be sure about the ingredients. Definitely couldn't feel oil though. I don't know about the sauce either - I'm expecting a traditional canned tomato sauce. The veggies were put onto the pizza just as is and they seasoned it when everything was done.

It seems to me you are having the common reaction of trying to convince yourself that it does not have that many calories. :wink: It's okay that you had the pizza, and it's even okay if you went over your calorie goal for today. We all eat too much from time to time. :smile:

Here's another website on pizza: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/pizza-lowest-calories-cholesterol.php

Pizza has more calories than we think. Just call the place tomorrow and see if they have nutritional information.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

good luck

both sugar and oil are added at the beginning before the dough rises, so you wouldn't have seen it. Sugar makes the yeast rise better and oil makes the dough easier to handle by hands (it's less sticky then), but it's hard to tell, because it doesn't make it oily.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options

good luck

It seems to me you are having the common reaction of trying to convince yourself that it does not have that many calories. :wink: It's okay that you had the pizza, and it's even okay if you went over your calorie goal for today. We all eat too much from time to time. :smile:

Here's another website on pizza: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/pizza-lowest-calories-cholesterol.php

Pizza has more calories than we think. Just call the place tomorrow and see if they have nutritional information.

^^^^This. Just log it for whatever you want, and call the place tomorrow. For your next meal, resume your regular meal plans. :-) Lots of people have pizza treats, and it doesn't ruin their goals. Plus, once you know the real calorie value, you can help it actually fit in to your planning.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

good luck

^^^^This. Just log it for whatever you want, and call the place tomorrow. For your next meal, resume your regular meal plans. :-) Lots of people have pizza treats, and it doesn't ruin their goals. Plus, once you know the real calorie value, you can help it actually fit in to your planning.

Great advice! Pizza can be a dangerous one but as long as you plan, have at it.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    See...I think this is a great example of where people go wrong with diets.

If you are going to eat pizza....eat pizza. Don't worry about how many calories you just ate. Just don't eat another pizza at 10pm before bed.

One day of bad eating is not going to do anything to your diet results. Even if you over ate by 2000 calories....that isn't even going to set you back a pound. It's a fraction of a pound.

I am going to eat pizza tomorrow...my cheat day. I am going to eat as much as I possibly can....and I wont care how many calories are in it.

I am also going to eat ice cream...cookie dough ice cream...and I am going to LOVE every second of it.

Food isn't your enemy. Excessive eating 7 days a week is. Enjoy your pizza...forget the calories...and make sure you stick to your diet the rest of the week.

I kill myself on calorie counting. I am normally a total stickler when it comes to measuring food. I measure everything...down to the ketchup I use. However, when you go out to enjoy yourself...enjoy yourself....it's part of the healthy lifestyle.

Don't become so stressed out about how many calories are in your vegan pizza....you are already eating a vegan pizza. It's not a dozen doughnuts.
  • dsnapp3
    dsnapp3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love pizza night. My family and I have really gotten into making our own. So cheap - and better than a lot of restaurants.

If you google Jamie Oliver Pizza dough - you get a simple easy to make thin italian type dough. For tonight I used 200g of the dough (enough for dinner plate size thin crust). Added 50g of mozzarella, some onion and capsicum (red bell pepper) and 2 thin slices of hot salami (less than 25g). For the base, I just use a can of San Marzanno (italian) whole tomatoes that i crush up.

All up - 500 or so calories. Add a nice bit of salad and you have a great meal that will fit into any plan….
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't get manic over one meal. You can just average out what similar pizza's are that are already logged into MFP.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Put 100 calories. Or 1000. It wont make any difference to what is actually going on inside your body.

You seem to be under the impression that eating lots of calories ought to make you feel full. This assumption will not serve you well.
  • 0nesecret
    Options
    Put 100 calories. Or 1000. It wont make any difference to what is actually going on inside your body.

You seem to be under the impression that eating lots of calories ought to make you feel full. This assumption will not serve you well.

Well that's disappointing :frown:

Thanks everyone. I'm not too worked up over this; I just find it incredulous that a small pizza like that could have up to 1000 calories. Eek. Oh well. Next time I'll split it.