PCOS anyone?

Options
i need to drop 50lbs maybe that will help with my health issues and prevent diabetes... doctor said im prediabetic tried putting me on metformin but my tummy was not having it... so hopefully 50lbs keeps the diabetes and pcos related issues away...but i need friends lol anyone else in my boat?

Replies

• JazzyMcCormick
    Options
    Hi,

I hear what you are saying about metformin- it took me WEEKS for my body to adjust to it, so i started on only 500mg a day, then got up to 2000mg eventually, but am back at 1000mg.

It was so bad for a while there, i had 2 accidents in public ( in my pants if you know what i mean!! ) but i feel great now and have heaps more energy and NO accidents.

Feel really sick if i try and drink alcohol though ( I miss wine! ).

Big thing with PCOS is we crave sugar but try and keep off it - maybe give the metformin another chance?
  • enieto2021
    enieto2021 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    omg yes i used todrive an hour to work and just get scared i wouldt make it lol... but my last day of work will be monday... maybe ill give it another shot... do u drink it with meals?after? or before?
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I don't have diabetic issues, but I'm also in the PCOS boat. Add me if you like. :)

I'm not sure if this is related to my PCOS or hypothyroidism (I got double-whammied with conditions that mess up menstrual/reproductive problems), but once I started eating healthier and exercising, I went from having only three or four periods a year to having one nearly every month. My cycle still isn't completely regular, but it's improved vastly.
  • vanessamuffin
    Options
    I just couldn't the effects of Metformin... it made me too dizzy! I hope it's not essential to PCOS, I read somewhere that it's used mainly for weight loss for women diagnosed with PCOS but not diabetic?
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm a witness to say that a good diet and exercise helps symptoms of PCOS IMMENSELY!!!! I was going through hell before and once I started exercising regularly I felt great.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm a witness to say that a good diet and exercise helps symptoms of PCOS IMMENSELY!!!! I was going through hell before and once I started exercising regularly I felt great.

This.

My symptoms have improved massively since I took up strength training. I've always had to maintain a lower-GI diet due to old issues with bulimia (large amounts of high GI foods triggered the vomiting compulsion) but even that has eased up now that I'm lifting heavy weights three or four times a week and eating a predominantly healthy diet (Ben and Jerry's are still good friends, though).

You don't need drugs to lose weight with PCOS, you just need to learn the methods of managing the imbalances.
  • uviii15
    uviii15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi m 16 n suffering this thing...i need to lose atleast 25kg.......m on metformin too like bout 500mg....its doesn't effect me like u saying....but there is a girl who told that she lost 13lbs after using metformin in 2 months....so m eating it regularly now....hope i get better soooon
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I have PCOS too - no medication but aiming to lose about 60 pounds. Would love some support! x
  • PCOS_No_More
    Options
    I just couldn't the effects of Metformin... it made me too dizzy! I hope it's not essential to PCOS, I read somewhere that it's used mainly for weight loss for women diagnosed with PCOS but not diabetic?

For how long did you take Metformin? Because Metformin intake is supposed to be increased throughout the first few weeks so it's not like you should start on a lot at once and everybody has those bad symptoms for about 2 weeks but after that, nothing at all. Metformin has another "version" called XR which might not cause such severe problems since some people are sensitive to the regular one and they therefore have this other one. Nobody had told me about this either, they only offer the XR version if you ask your provider. I don't know why...and I think you can only feel its effects after months of taking it. If it had no effect on your insulin resistance, maybe the dose was off for you. It only makes a real difference if it is combined with diet/exercise.

I think Metformin is pretty essential if someone needs to lose weight with PCOS but there are other diabetes meds that they can prescribe. I think if you have PCOS and are struggling with weight, it does help. It indirectly helps conception and it prevents/delays diabetes. I will def. take it as long as I can so that I wouldn't become diabetic.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

I think Metformin is pretty essential if someone needs to lose weight with PCOS but there are other diabetes meds that they can prescribe. I think if you have PCOS and are struggling with weight, it does help. It indirectly helps conception and it prevents/delays diabetes. I will def. take it as long as I can so that I wouldn't become diabetic.

No, it is not essential. You CAN lose weight without it.