lifting help

Options
So a friend and I want to start lifting. We live in a really tiny town and don't have access to a fancy gym with trainers. What we do gave is the local school gym/weight room. We just don't know where to start. I've heard a lot about the New Rules of Lifting for Women or strong lifts. Can anyone give me some insight on which would be better for newbies. Or if there is something else we should be trying first.

Replies

• andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    New Rules Of Lifting for Women is a great place to start. It has a lot of information and all you need to know to get started. The movements are explained and pictured well. I checked it out at the library to read and start the program before buying it. I recommend it to all my friends that are interested in weight lifting.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    As someone who completed New Rules of Lifting for Women, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. It does not give enough information or instruction on form and has you doing a ton of obscure unnecessary lifts.

I strongly recommend reading Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about form and prevent you from injuring yourself. Also look up "Mark Rippetoe form" on youtube.

As a beginners program, Stronglifts or Starting Strength are both great. Stronglifts is free, google the Stronglifts 5 X 5 pdf. The author is kind of douchey, but there is a really good summary here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    As someone who completed New Rules of Lifting for Women, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. It does not give enough information or instruction on form and has you doing a ton of obscure unnecessary lifts.

I strongly recommend reading Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, it will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about form and prevent you from injuring yourself. Also look up "Mark Rippetoe form" on youtube.

I agree with this ^. If the gym has barbells & a Power or Squat Rack I'd recommend Starting Strength. The thing with compound lifting is your form needs to be spot on or you risk injury. So do your homework, start with just the barbell (maybe less for Overhead Press) & work your way up. Having someone to lift with is great as you can help each other with form.