5"3 and 17 stone

Options
hi, im 5"3 and 108 kg! shocking isnt it? i don get it im suppsed to be morbidly obese ...
but, im healthy, i can walk a lot, jugg a bit, i have no diabeatus, no blood issues , i have a lot of energy, for years i dont eat much, and i also not look very large or very fat, just chubby~curvy !!! if i loose 4~5 inches of my belly i would be slim.
same thing for my thighs ... is it normal???????

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hey sweetie. I'm the same height as you, and when I was nearly 13 stone I did not look good and it was not healthy for me. For you, 17 stone is not healthy at 5'3, you may feel comfortable but your body is not, it is quite unhealthy. If you do myfitnesspal, you will lose weight in no time. I'm currently 11 stone 5, and I'm thin now, I still am a bit curvy, but I'm thin and it does take hard work, but it is good to lose weight. I personally was always pretty thin until I hit 19 so it was quite a shock for me getting overweight. The feeling you get when you are healthy and thin again is great. You can do it.
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    thank you for the support, but what im saying is that im really not looking obese not even like 17 stone lol some people see me as a bit fat but not really. ill have to take a picture . haha but yes i need to loose some.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh that's odd. Maybe you just have a lucky body shape. I'm an hourglass so when I put on a lot it shows.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    A lot of times even when we're overweight our friends don't tell us because they don't want to be rude.
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    ok. I just learn that there was an error with the scale lol . bc it would be impossible that i weight 17st or at least my bones were made of iron hahaha
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    thank you for the support, but what im saying is that im really not looking obese not even like 17 stone lol some people see me as a bit fat but not really. ill have to take a picture . haha but yes i need to loose some.

I think we sometimes don't we ourselves as others do. How many lb is 17 st???
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    238 lbs.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    238 lbs.

I would guess that is obese for 5'3"
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Body type, distribution, and composition (muscle mass). When I was high school I was a gymnast, cheerleader, and I did track. I was constantly lifting weights, and I got up to about 190 lbs. I was maybe a size 10 and no one would have said I looked obese. I was really healthy. Even in my profile pic I was about 160 lbs. Go by your health and fitness level, not some number on the scale. Often times inches matter more than weight.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    If you can find out your body fat percentage, that will be far more telling than just your scale weight. I'd gladly remain the same weight if I were to gain muscle while losing fat. Body composition counts for a lot when it comes to health, imo.
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10'', 237lbs and i'm at the first stage of obesity. I do not look as fat as it sound but i definitly have weight to lose. I'm naturally big boned too.
    Not sure how it can't show 'cause it shows on me and i have about 7'' more than you...
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    Well, I'm a size 14 ­~ 16 (it depends on the pants brand and cut hahah ) For t-shirts I would say that what fits me near the body would be ( medium-large) But I only wear very large t-shirts .

In circumference :

Bust : 41­ ~ 42 inches, Maybe more ... I wear 38 C cups.
    Waist ( the very middle of my belly ) ~ 38 inches... not sure .
    Belly : I can't say, because it changes sometimes, I have issues with my guts, they tend to be swollen often ( I have IBS) :(
    Hips : about 45-47 inches ( I got wide hips )
    Thighs : I don't know .

About muscle mass I really don't know, but I know that my Calf are pretty buffed lol
    I know nothing about my bones, I just know I got very big ankles that are extremely visible and sticking out .
    If I push out the fat and skin from my knees, I can see they're A LOT bigger than anyone I know, even my brother who's 6 foot tall!

So yeah that's how much info I can give you right now.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    i have no diabeatus

not sure if intentional but I lol'd
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    From the top you are about my size (I also wear 38 C-D)
    I think that the best in your case if you want to be sure to be healty is to 1. see a doctor, 2. see a personal trainer. I used to go to a gym were you would get on a special scale (barefoot) and it would tell you how much fat/muscles you have in every part of you body (L-R arm, L-R leg, tron and general body). That way you will really know what's inside :)
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    i have no diabeatus

not sure if intentional but I lol'd

Hahahah it wasn't but I was '' texting'' with a PS Vita and I was tired lol
  • divajoni
    divajoni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hi there-- agree with the other poster: body composition, not scale weight should be your focus, you can carry a lot of weight if you have lots of muscle mass.

That said, your measurements are telling... in general, a waist size of 34" or bigger is indicator for heart disease... another indicator is waist/hip ratio. at 38" waist and 47", puts your ratio at 0.81... it is recommended to be at 0.80 or lower (so you are right on the edge).

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/

Also, agree with the other poster who mentioned seeing your doctor... that is the best place to get advice, because your doctor will have all your personal details and, obviously, the training to help you figure this out!

good luck! :)
  • CharlesLadd
    Options
    At 238 pounds, I would be about 50 pounds above my proper weight - at almost 6 feet tall. If you are female, you have a naturally higher fat level than I do, but not that much. I bet you are carrying about 100 pounds of excess weight, and it is taking its toll, regardless of the comments you have made (feel good, don't look that fat, whatever). To put it bluntly ... here it comes ... you are in denial. Get to a doctor and have some fat level checks. The sooner you realize you need to do something about it, and get started, the sooner you will be much healthier, happier and what comes with that feeling. I wish you the best!
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    At 238 pounds, I would be about 50 pounds above my proper weight - at almost 6 feet tall. If you are female, you have a naturally higher fat level than I do, but not that much. I bet you are carrying about 100 pounds of excess weight, and it is taking its toll, regardless of the comments you have made (feel good, don't look that fat, whatever). To put it bluntly ... here it comes ... you are in denial. Get to a doctor and have some fat level checks. The sooner you realize you need to do something about it, and get started, the sooner you will be much healthier, happier and what comes with that feeling. I wish you the best!

I understand that. But what I'm saying is that I may not even weight 238 lbs, since I know the scale was not working well. Btw I'm not in denial, I know I'm overweight, but I also know that it's impossible that I'm in the morbidly obese group. Years ago I was a bit thinner and the scale shows 260 lbs! So there's definitively something wrong !
  • IDK_ILH
    Options
    hi there-- agree with the other poster: body composition, not scale weight should be your focus, you can carry a lot of weight if you have lots of muscle mass.

That said, your measurements are telling... in general, a waist size of 34" or bigger is indicator for heart disease... another indicator is waist/hip ratio. at 38" waist and 47", puts your ratio at 0.81... it is recommended to be at 0.80 or lower (so you are right on the edge).

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/

Also, agree with the other poster who mentioned seeing your doctor... that is the best place to get advice, because your doctor will have all your personal details and, obviously, the training to help you figure this out!

good luck! :)

Thanks for that information. I will try to get to a 0.70 ~ 0.75 ratio I think it is realistic and good for me.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would guess you are fairly young.

Your body is absorbing the additional wear and tear and can do so for a while.

Everybody thinks that they are a "special snowflake" and they will beat the odds. They are the ones in good health, and there is not really a problem.

No one who does not have diabetes or high blood pressure think that they will get it. Why would they? Their blood pressure is fine now, right? But those statistics are there for a reason. Most people won't beat the odds. That is why they are odds.

And if you are a woman who plans to have children one day -- there is conclusive research lately that says number of fat cells is determined in utero and is influenced by mother's weight and diet. So obese mothers have can pass on the struggle to their unborn children.

As far as feeling fine... I thought I was fine when I was 12 stone (5'3). But I did not have much to compare it too. Now that I am 9 stone, I see a huge world of difference. Imagine not carrying 8 stone of unneeded weight on your back every single minute of the day. For me it was a 3 stone difference only, but walking up flights of stairs or running without carrying an equivalent of a 40lb giant cat litter bucket from Costco is way way easier, trust me.