Fed up of counting/planning

Options
13»

Replies

• ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Unfortunately the only exercise I get is walking. I don't have much time left to do anything else other than that as I'm working two days a week, and my load of uni work is huge!
    Walking is good, make sure you wear suitable shoes and walk at a good brisk pace, enough to get your heart working. If you're carrying books it'd probably better to put them in a backpack to balance the weight. Once you've been doing walking for a while drop in a couple of minutes jogging then back to walking. Use the stairs rather than lifts, get off the bus a stop early, sneak exercise in - it really does make the difference.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The things this tool has done for me is helped me see the nutritional value of the food I eat and planning. At the beginning,my choices were not healthy. After I started tracking, I started selecting better choices. Over weight people tend to think that skinny people can eat what they want and not gain weight. The realty is their internal mindset works automatically and they don't have to plan. When we see them eating what we think is the eat this way all the time. But they may only be eating that way for that meal or they have a higher metabolism and or may be exercising. You have to find what works for you to be successful. Food has two purposes - nutrition and substances.
  • nataliedanielleneale
    Options
    Over weight people tend to think that skinny people can eat what they want and not gain weight. The realty is their internal mindset works automatically and they don't have to plan. When we see them eating what we think is the eat this way all the time. But they may only be eating that way for that meal or they have a higher metabolism and or may be exercising.

I'm not overweight.

Maybe they just have faster metabolisms because I know they eat like that for every meal of everyday and they don't exercise anymore than I do!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the stress of college life is impacting on your relationship with food.

Take some time off logging, but try to make healthy choices. Carbs are not the enemy, but if you feel like you eat too much stodge and filler instead of nutritious vitamin-rich foods, then try to ensure you get five fruit and/or veg into each day.

You can probably make use of a college counsellor to help you find strategies to deal with your general stress levels.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also exercise makes you happier. If logging takes hours, stop logging and fill that time with exercise. It can be as simple as doing a few deep squats each time you go to the bathroom, or jogging where you would normally walk. Anything to get your body moving and your heart pumping will cheer you up, I promise.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I tried doing a whole week in advance, it would probable take hours also. Only because I don't know what I will feel like eating for that many days. Planning a day ahead is possible, only if I know what I am going to prepare today. If you usually eat one higher calorie meal a day, throw that one in you log for the next day, then plan your other meals around being able to have that, and stay full. Over planning will make you crazy, not your friends.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

I understand the fed up part, I get that too! Because I love food so much and I loved the carefree eating. I see how my parents/hubby eat mindlessly and either not gain or even lose some weight!
    But that's how it seems to me, I know it's not true! I definitely ate more than them because I grazed throughout the day and also moved less than them.
    This is the only way I have lost some way and consistently. I try to pre/'-log my meals, but make changes throughout the day, because life happens! I just try to adjust the day such that I am at less than my tdee calories!
    As some ppl suggested, take a break, by now you can guess the portions, go with instinct and try for a week!
    If you cannot do this because of obsession, then yes, please seek help:)
  • TheNoWhere
    TheNoWhere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    - Low carb diets are a recognized way of accelerated fat burning, see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

- "Letting go", i.e. not caring anymore at all about what you eat can indeed lead to quite uncontrolled calorie consumption, works well for young and / or active people but will most likely lead to weight increase with inactive people at 30+

- Keeping a maintenance level of caloric intake can be achieved by e.g. counting for 5 weekdays and eating freely for the other 2 days

- If you register a set of generic food types ("chocolate cake", "hamburger", "donut" etc.) your are eating regularly with the MFP app and have a bit experience in estimating weight you can eat quite freely and at the same time quickly log down what you eat, some grams give and take don't make that big difference