I'm pregnant...finally!!!!

Options
jayme03
jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
So, I just found out that I am finally pregnant and I have questions about calorie intake. My caloric intake as of right now is 1250. I know that's too little now being pregnant, so I was wondering if anyone knew how much I should be consuming especially during my first trimester. I don't have my doc. appt. for a bit, so I just wanted to get a head start :) Thanks.:bigsmile:

Replies

• jayme03
    Options
    So, I just found out that I am finally pregnant and I have questions about calorie intake. My caloric intake as of right now is 1250. I know that's too little now being pregnant, so I was wondering if anyone knew how much I should be consuming especially during my first trimester. I don't have my doc. appt. for a bit, so I just wanted to get a head start :) Thanks.:bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sarahbearbear
    Options
    I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will know this, but congratulations!

Found this: "Traditionally, caloric requirements during pregnancy have been estimated to be around an additional 300 calories per day. However, this must be adjusted for physical activity and prepregnancy weight (see accompanying figure) for the recommended number of servings of food groups). "

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Pre-Sma/Pregnancy.html
  • brfortu
    brfortu Posts: 27
    Options
    my nutrition teacher said that most pregnant women have the misconception that they're really eating for two when really you're eating for a tiny growing baby. You are really supposed to only increase your caloric intake about 250 calories per trimester as your should only gain about 30-40 pounds from the pregnancy.. Just a thought until you talk to the doctor.. CONGRATS
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I started MFP in Mar and just found out im pregnant too! You need to go to the goals section and set your goals to maintaining instead of losing. I t will show you your cals to be about 1600-1900 according to your body needs. Maintaining is all you need to do now. That way you know you won't gain fat, instead you will gain baby. In the 2nd trimester you will need to add about 300 cals to that amount for the rest of the pregnancy. I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and was using MFP to lose about 15lbs. before summer. I had lost about 5 and got to 140lbs but didn't get to see the 130's. Oh well, in 9months I will for sure!!! Congratulations!!:drinker: and good luck. Due DAte? Mine is approx. Dec 11.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I just wanted to say congrats! :flowerforyou: Don't do what I did, I ate nothing but fast food!:sick: I am so ashamed! But now we are a healthy family.
  • jayme03
    Options
    My due date is Dec. 28th. Thanks for info. It's going to difficult to adjust to "maintaining" after trying to lose for awhile. I'm so excited!!
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    you should at least be gettting 1800 calories no matter how small you are cause thats what i heard from a nutritionist when i was asking about breastfeeding
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Congradulations to you. I'm not sure about what to eat when your pregnant (no alcohol for you!) but I will tell you something. After my sisiter gave birth she was soo wiped out and hand such low iron her doctor said she needed some spinich for breakfast,lunch, dinner and eat lots of liver. I still remember how the house smelled ( i hated liver , still do, but she hates spinich now)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
    I would avoid asking on here honestly, talk to your pediatrician, or whoever your doctor is for the pregnancy. This is a case where you're going to want the best possible advice.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Add an aditional 200 calories to the amount you need to maintain your current weight. For breastfeeding add an additional 500.

Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh wonderful news!!!!! what a blessing!!!! big hugs!

so I agree talk w/ your doctor.....but mine told me when I was prego w/ my son...that just add like 300 cals a day to what I was using currently....but it may be different if you're dieting you may need to add more! when I was first prego w/ my son I was like 130 and the fittest I ever was...sigh!

BUT you can certainly eat healthy for you and the beautiful baby on the way!!! so you take care, plenty of rest and woo hoo you go girl!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • HannahRoo
    HannahRoo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do want to say congratulations and that I'm extremely happy for you!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    someone else on here suggested babyfit.com . I'm sure you can find other websites also.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Congrats sweetie. Eat healthy for the both of you and don't forget exercising. Yoga for moms!
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! :smile:
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Don't worry about that. Eat HEALTHY and balanced meals and your body and that little one inside you will tell you what you need and the morning sickness will get rid of everything you don't :laugh:

I'm sure you will get the best advice you need from your doula, midwife, or OB, or NP (did I cover them all). But trust your body you will be amazed by how it guides you as your baby grows. Hee-hee pregnancy is the best and it's the only time we don't have to worry about public perception of our bodies-to the world you are just a beautiful preggo lady :wink:
  • butterfly2008
    Options
    i HAVE NO ADVICE I JUST WANTED TO SAY CONGRATS !!! :flowerforyou:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Congrats on your much wanted pregnancy! I have no clue on the nutrtional info but wanted to say congrats!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the bun in the oven. I know you said you don't have a doctors appt for a while., make sure you have your prenatal pills, even if you don't have a prescription yet you can get them over the counter (ask the pharmacist which is the best ones) this is especially important in first trimester. Eat healthy and avoid high levels of mercury. Best wishes for you and your little one. -Heather-