How often do people have treats

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yep, tigersword, over 40 responses. The results are in; exactly the foods i thought people would say. Check out the thread.

lol

From my quick check (so I may have missed a few):

Anything/large range of foods: 6
    Sweets/Cookies: 6
    Potatoes: 5
    Cheese: 5
    Crackers/chips: 5
    Ice cream: 4
    Chocolate: 3
    Nuts/PB: 3
    Bread: 3
    Fried/fatty food: 3
    Cereal: 1

How does that prove your point?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM so as long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals I don't restrict any type of food. Usually I have ice cream after dinner. This week I've been having homemade carrot cake for breakfast.

If you're the type of person (like me) who are likely to break and go off the rails if you feel deprived, then working some "treats" into your goals is important. If you're the type of person who starts eating sugar and then can't stop, then I can see taking a more restrictive approach.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I worked out a set of rules for myself. Rule 1, always log. Rule 2, stay in calories. Rule 3/4 (these flipflop) stay in macros/eat healthy. I would like to do all of these, but if I need to slip, I go in reverse order, sticking to rule 1-3 if possible even if I break 4, sticking to 1-2 if I am breaking 3-4, etc. I feel like I am doing really well if I do 1-4, but I am still going to lose weight if I do 1-2, and hopefully I can claw my way back up if I at least do 1.

To answer your question more briefly, "treats" could (but don't always) break rule 3 or 4 and often comprise up to 20% of my daily calories.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have one everyday :) IIFYM
  • Justine_JellyBean
    Options
    There's no harm in treating yourself if it fits into your calories for the day. If your nutritional needs are being met, I think a little indulgence is totally normal, and if you can eat the things you like, it makes sticking to a calorie deficit that much easier. I have a little dessert pretty much every day, and it doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss. :smile:

^I agree 100% with this and it was good to read so many answers like this one. Treating yourself should never make you feel bad. It's about finding a balance and watching the calories.
  • fityese
    fityese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also incorporate treats into my diet. There are foods that are healthy for your body then there are treats, which are healthy for your mind. I have calorie, protein, carbohydrates and fat goals and so long as I keep within those, I incorporate treats and take-out (here and there).
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calorie goal!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Every meal I eat is a treat.

:P

I have 25 grams of dark (I aim for at least 75%) chocolate every afternoon.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I treat myself every day and count it in. Just not at the moment because Im ERROR and it makes my calorie goal explode :sad:
    usually bit of chocolate or chai latte vanilla cinnamon, cappuccino or piece of cake. thats my afternoon or morning snack :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying everyone is the same but I think if like me you lose weight only to pile it back on, then you need to start rethinking things.

I completely agree with this part. You and I disagree about sugar and treats in general, but this part is something I wish more people would consider. I see people posting all the time that they're back again, having regained their weight, but low-carb or low-calorie or shakes or whatever really work for them, because they lost 40 lbs last time they were here.

But the only plan that works is the plan that doesn't just help you lose, but that also helps you maintain.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If I want one, and I have calories, I'll have one. Maybe those calories will have more "fat" or whatever in them, but if within my calories, then I'm ok with it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The best thing about counting calories, for me, was that I stopped feeling guilty about what I was eating. Even if it's indulgent, if it fits my calories for the day, then I know I'm still on track for weight loss.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So what do people think? Is it ok to have these treats as long as it's in the calorie goal or I'll I stop my weight loss.

It depends... Let's define a "treat" as a highly refined processed food. Can you eat a portion that fits your calorie goal or does it leave you wanting more and more. You have to identify these things in yourself to find that answer. For me, one or two cookies, or a half cup of ice cream just makes me want more so I regulate "treats" for the weekends where I have many more calories to play with (I eat in a slight daily deficit and include one or two 24 hour fasts each week). This allows me to eat "treats" in a manner that satisfies my cravings and still maintain my body comp.
  • DenialTwister
    Options
    These "treats" are designed to be physically addictive. Most people on this site will disagree with me, but i view those items the same way a recovering alcoholic views whiskey. One is too many, and a thousand is never enough.

But not everybody is an addict.

You could argue that everyone who is fat is an addict of some sort.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a piece of chocolate everyday as a treat for staying within my calories for the day. It has worked for me so far and I limit it to one piece around 40 calories, usually dark chocolate. I say, if it works for you, go for it.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying everyone is the same but I think if like me you lose weight only to pile it back on, then you need to start rethinking things.

I completely agree with this part. You and I disagree about sugar and treats in general, but this part is something I wish more people would consider. I see people posting all the time that they're back again, having regained their weight, but low-carb or low-calorie or shakes or whatever really work for them, because they lost 40 lbs last time they were here.

But the only plan that works is the plan that doesn't just help you lose, but that also helps you maintain.

That's what I'm trying to get to, I know that having daily treats doesn't suit me but that's not to say it won't work for others.

The reason I hate that silly mantra " a little of what you fancy" is because it's not applicable to many of us. I think people should be encouraged to listen to their body and to recognise if a treat ( or indeed any particular food) is actually helping them stay on track or knocking them off.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I think it's important to get to know your own body, and to figure what's right for it. I can honestly say that having daily treats was the reason I put on weight again and again, simply because my chosen treats generated cravings in my body. I'm not saying everyone is the same but I think if like me you lose weight only to pile it back on, then you need to start rethinking things.

I hate the mantra " a little of what you fancy" , you wouldn't tell someone struggling with cigarettes/alcohol/drugs/ or with allergies to certain foods to have a little of their vice. Sugar addiction is an issue and needs to be understood more.

No-one is telling cigarette/alcohol/ drug or any other kind of addicts to indulge in their fancies.

Not everyone is an addict and for those of us who are not and who can eat 'treats' then of course 'a LITTLE of what we fancy' will not do us any harm.

Everyone on these forums just loves to take things out of context and twist other posters words to wave their own banners

I'm not sure what your trying to imply, I didn't twist anything, I pointed out that due to the way my body reacts I can't have daily treats, that a little of what I fancy is of no benefit to me. Of course not everyone is a sugar/ carb "addict" but many are.

The best advice the op could have been given was that once she ate a healthy diet and had calories to spare, she should allow herself a treat and then decide if she found it beneficial. If she felt satisfied and enjoyed the treat then that's great, but if it left her craving more, struggling to stay on track and feeling uncomfortable then she should avoid or find a different treat that suits her system better.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your macro/micro nutrients goal, it doesn't matter what you eat.