Thanksgiving Day Plan...

Options
I love Thanksgiving Day and all the FOOD that comes with it. However, I recognize that my usual 5,000 calorie plus consumption on that day isn't a good idea :-)

I've decided to use this guide for the average calories in most of the servings we enjoy on that day. My plan is to just keep my caloric intake the same as what I'm currently doing by cutting down on the size and volume portions on whatever on I choose to eat.

Here's a calculator you can use to check off the foods one might consume on Thanksgiving Day. It calculates the totals at the bottom of the page. The "how many miles you would have to walk in order to burn off the calories" is skewed in my opinion, because it doesn't assume how many calories you need each day to just maintain your weight. However, it's a pretty cool visual.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm?

Replies

• Nitro2310
    Nitro2310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my plan 80-90 minutes of spin then place feed bag over face
  • sonyabracho
    Options
    Yikes! I thought I had a pretty good plan in place :)
    I do plan to get an extra work out in sometime this week.
    I'm just going to eat a little bit of the things that I love and not take home left overs. If I just keep it to one meal- there shouldn't be much damage control involved.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    eh it's just one day although i can see how overeating may lead to more binges for people who may be struggling with their relationship with food.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    my plan 80-90 minutes of spin then place feed bag over face

I laughed ;-)
  • helloskl2014
    Options
    I'm thinking going heavy on the veggies and easier on everything else should probably help out.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat until I'm full. One day of going over calories isn't squat.

it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb...... that's a lot of food.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Same thing I'll do at Christmas: spend time with my loved ones, and not worry so much about calories for 1 day.

my only 'strategy' is to eat until I'm satisfied instead of eating myself into a food coma
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy the holiday....it's one day...you don't get fat from one day of eating pleasure...you get fat by treating everyday like it's Thanksgiving.

I don't eat until I'm ready to pop...never have and never enjoyed that feeling...but I will eat until I'm content and not worry about it or give it even a second thought.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yeahhh, I'm going to work out in the morning, but IDGAF if I go over my calories. Thanksgiving is literally meant for overeating. Be thankful we have a lot of food and prosperity by eating a ton of food.

I'm eating 3 pieces of pie and a plate of stuffing and nothing will stop me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating all the pie.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My plan - Cook the food. Eat the food. Sleep. Wake up. Make leftovers for a week. Ah, I love Thanksgiving ^_^. All I need is to exercise moderation, and with the way I eat ordinarily, I can't see stuffing myself until I want to puke no matter how tasty the food is :sick: .
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    One thing that we do that kind of helps, we don't have lunch or dinner but cook the turkey meal for the middle of the day. So we will probably eat around 2 ish. Then if anyone is hungry later in the day they just make themselves leftovers.

I can make myself a half a sandwich and a piece of pie later in the day and not get too many calories.

Otherwise though i am not going to worry about it, i plan on just enjoying the day.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this is my food plan for the day-

-Ruprecht's All Natural Beef Pot Roast (costco)
    - Creamed Spinach
    - Fried avocados
    - Cheesy mashed cauliflower
    - Deviled eggs
    - Mini cucumber rounds w/boursin cheese
    - Almond buns with herb butter
    - Individual mug cakes with pumpkin spice whipping cream for dessert

Decadent and doable- I don't think I'll be missing out one bit!
    Fried avocado? Please share!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy spending time with my family and friends and be thankful for everything I have. I am not going to stress over calories that day. If, after more than 2 years of logging calories, I can't manage to eat reasonably and without stress for one day then it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy spending time with my family and friends and be thankful for everything I have. I am not going to stress over calories that day. If, after more than 2 years of logging calories, I can't manage to eat reasonably and without stress for one day then it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

This. I found last year that I don't like that stuffed-to-the-gills feeling anymore so I will be eating less that I before I lost the weight. But I will eat whatever I want, I never count calories on major food holidays because it tends to ruin the day. And since I can't eat a ton, I eat the pie first. :bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Pro-tip, if you check off the mixed drink, the glass of wine and the sparkling grape juice, it will equal approximately 4 glasses of wine. If that's how you roll... :drinker:

1 mixed drink 250
    1 glass wine 120
    1 cup coffee with cream and sugar 50
    1 glass cider or sparkling grape juice 120
    1 cup eggnog 343
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh yay, I did mine, it came out to ...

"One mixed drink, One glass of wine, A glass of cider or juice, (<===lies. all wine. ) One ounce of potato or tortilla chips, One teaspoon of chip dip, Six ounces of white and dark turkey, Half a cup of stuffing, Half a cup of cranberry sauce, Half a cup of green bean casserole, A dinner roll, A pat of butter, A slice of apple pie, Half a cup of ice cream, , A slice of pumpkin pie, Half a cup of whipped cream, A slice of pecan pie...that comes to 3095 calories. You will need to walk 30.95 miles, 49.91 kilometers, or 61900 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps."

Which is true because after all that wine, I won't be able to drive and no one will tolerate me in their car and I'll probably be thrown out of the thanksgiving dinner but still be sent home walking with a slice of pecan pie so as to seem cordial. So yeah, that's a PLAN!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot and run it off!!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging, but in the week leading up to Thanksgiving I am eating a slight (~100 calorie) deficit below my daily goal so I will probably come close to balancing out for the two-week period around Thanksgiving no matter what.

I am currently at maintenance and am somewhat active, so I already have a good amount of calories to play with, and this way I get some more.

I am also going to do some sort of workout during the day, either a run or a session with one of my indoor workout programs (depending on the weather). Although to be honest Thursday is a regular workout day for me so it is not a special Thanksgiving plan...