Help! Need tips on best ways to burn fat!

Options
I'm 5ft7 and 135lb, I eat 1200 calories a day and at least 100g of protein. I have a body fat % of 25.3. I've been doing basic weight exercises and I've actually gained quite a bit of muscle in my legs, my legs have always been a problem and even though they're solid, there's so much fat covering them! I can't seem to get rid of it. There is no definition in them whatsoever. They're two big tree trunks! Is there anything I can do in the way of exercise or in the kitchen that I'm not doing already to help burn more fat and slim these legs?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nope. Keep doing what you're doing. Lifting weights on a high-protein, low-calorie diet will help preserve muscle mass while your body consumes your excess fat for energy. You could probably eat more than you are, but I'm not one to go rah-rah-rah on someone's dietary decisions as long as they meet the minimum recommended intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    You have a calorie deficit...calorie deficits burn fat...because you're taking in less energy (calories) than you would need to maintain you dip into fat stores to make up the difference.

Working on body composition requires lots of time and patience...you don't really have tons of fat stores with that BF%...you just need to get on with a solid lifting program and have patience...what is your idea of basic weight exercises?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wolfman beat me to it - but your best improvement can probably be made with your weight exercises. If you can crank up the intensity and weight it will probably result in more fat burn and muscle taking shape.

Also could throw in some HIIT cardio for about 20 minutes after your weight workouts. Something like a 30 sec on / 90 second off interval.

BTW, if your picture is at all recent, you look like you are in great shape. Just stay the course and you will make some even better improvements over time.

Good luck.
  • sallywatkinsx
    Options
    Well it's very very basic haha, I just do different things like squatting with an 8kg ball etc. Unfortunately 8kg is the highest weight I have. I don't know if what I'm doing is enough:/ I spend at least half an hour a day doing this
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Squats are great. If you can do several of them look at making them harder with something like a split leg squat where you raise one leg on a chair. Basically you get twice as much weight with the same body.

You need to make it hard enough that you can only do about 10 reps before you simply can not do any more.

There are tons of things you can do with just bodyweight exercises if you don't have much equipment. Spend some time googling and you should get some good ideas. Just remember to add reps and difficulty as you get stronger.
  • sallywatkinsx
    Options
    Will do! Thank you all!:)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Endurance exercise, like distance running or cycling long distance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strength training burns the most fat by building muscle.