You will not believe how much it helps tracking

Options
You know weight watchers and all that stuff say that you should track what you eat. Well there must be something to that because once I started being serious about putting down everything that I ate I've started losing weight. Of course the excersize has to be a big help as well. If any of you guys have smart phones I suggest downloading the myfittness pal tracker onto your phones. Not only is it a helpful way to track wherever you go but I find that the little message it gives you at the end of the day stating "if every day were like today you'd be" so and so many pounds in 5 weeks that it gives you a moral boost plus a push to keep going. You know, I've never been one for dieting but I can say that myfitness pal has got to be one of the best things I have ever done!

In case you were wondering when I went to my nutritionist on the 20th I weighed in at 224 pounds. Now weighing myself again and having been choosing better foods and tracking plus excersizing I weight in at 217.9 pounds! You have no idea how much I am grinning right now!

If you need motivation try downloading that app i love it!

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I agree, I love the app. I downloaded the app, before I visited the website the very first time lol
    MFP was been a great tool for me on my weight loss journey
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The main reason people do not reduce weight is because they simply are not accounting for everything they eat nor are they accurately weighing everything they eat and drink. In other words, they are grossly underestimating how much they truly are eating. Additionally, overestimating exercise expenditure doesn't help, either.

Here is a research review citing numerous studies revealing the magnitude in discrepancy between self-reported intake versus doubly labeled water tests:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1415-52732001000200006&script=sci_arttext
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    it's the forum of myfitnesspal, most of us have heard of the app before :P
    but yes, logging does help (in my opinion)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I was using the app before the website. And I log everything, even when I go out I take a pic of the foods I haven't logged while eating out previously.

I have lost weight on WW, I am a lifetime member, but I never lost as consistently nor as quickly, because I didn't log. I also weigh and measure almost everything I eat. (can't do it when I am eating out so I use the companys' nutritional web sites or take pics so I can do a best guess estimate). I plan to continue logging during my maintenance because I have gained back lost weight several times over the years. I want to loss it and not find it again.

MFP has helped me with portion sizes, and I feel that is a major key. Plus I don't like having to go back and add something in, when I have already logged a meal or snack. It makes me very mindful of how I used to graze throughout the day.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think of it as my body's road map. At first it is all about losing weight but it becomes so much more. You learn what your body needs, how you are fueling it and how it reacts to what you are giving it.

After a while of logging you will learn what works for you, how/when you feel your best. (That is why you need to be accurate)

I am amazed at the people around me i see trying to diet and they don't even know how many calories they need for the day or how many they are taking in. It is a struggle for them because they don't know why it is working or not working. They just know they should probably not eat that doughnut and either not eat it and feel like they are depriving themselves or eating it and feeling guilty.

The more you learn about your body the easier it becomes.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    great job! I downloaded the App before I visited the website too. I love it!