does what you eat not matter?

Options
I keep reading that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're under your TDEE. this is super contradicting to everything I've ever heard before and it'd mean a lot if you could please clear this up. Thanks!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It matters in terms of nutrition. It doesn't matter, as long you're under the numbers, in terms of weight loss. If you want to lose weight in a healthy way, you have to take nutrition into account. Sure, you can eat cake for every meal, and as long as you're under your calorie count, you may lose weight. Will you be healthy? Hardly.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating nothing but big macs as long as you stay under your calorie goal. That doesn't mean you'll be healthy, though.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Of course it matter what you eat if want to achieve a healthy end result. Follow your macros.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're under your TDEE. this is super contradicting to everything I've ever heard before and it'd mean a lot if you could please clear this up. Thanks!

Strictly in terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter where your calories come from. As long as calories in < calories out, then you will lose weight.

However, you also need to balance your nutrition. Three Big Macs would probably be less than your TDEE but no-one in their right mind would recommend that.

If you are new to weight loss, concentrate on your calories for the first few weeks. Baby steps.

Then as you get used to that, start looking at carbs, protein and fat.
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ah okay that clears it up. So technically it's really not the end of the world if you cheat a little on occasion.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I've seen a lot of people here lose weight eating fast foods and sweets because they eat at a calorie deficit. That is all that is required to lose weight.

For me, what I eat does matter. Since I am soy and lactose intolerant, I can't eat those things at all. I am also sensitive to processed sugar, but I refuse to cut it out completely. I choose to have sweets in moderation but I don't want sweets all that often.

I think a person has to decide for themselves if what they eat matters to them.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ah okay that clears it up. So technically it's really not the end of the world if you cheat a little on occasion.

Nothing is 'cheating' so long as you stay within your calorie limit. It's about balance. If you are on, say, 1500 calories per day using 1300 on healthy nutritious food and 200 on 'treats' isn't really going to do you any harm.
  • ambiences
    Options

I've seen a lot of people here lose weight eating fast foods and sweets because they eat at a calorie deficit. That is all that is required to lose weight.

For me, what I eat does matter. Since I am soy and lactose intolerant, I can't eat those things at all. I am also sensitive to processed sugar, but I refuse to cut it out completely. I choose to have sweets in moderation but I don't want sweets all that often.

I think a person has to decide for themselves if what they eat matters to them.

Yeah, I think it'd probably be more beneficial in the long run to eat healthy. It's just nice and reassuring to know it's not the end of the world if you cheat once in a while.
  • ambiences
    Options

Nothing is 'cheating' so long as you stay within your calorie limit. It's about balance. If you are on, say, 1500 calories per day using 1300 on healthy nutritious food and 200 on 'treats' isn't really going to do you any harm.

That makes this whole weight loss thing feel a lot more possible! :D
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's all about balance and moderation.
    The calories are what matter from a weight loss perspective, but from a nutritional standpoint, it's important to eat a variety of foods. My approach is to eat a balanced diet, and I usually end up with room for "treats". :smile:
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It matters a great deal to me. Yesterday I was well under my calorie goal for the day (netting around 1300 or so), but I had 2 slices of pizza for dinner as well as a few samples of desserts from the store (I had 4 samples with a mouthful each, so I gave myself a quick add 300 calories). It fit within my calories and my macros, but I gained 1 1/2 pounds from yesterday because of the carbs and the sodium. Plus, between the fats and the sugar and hardly any vegetables (I eat A LOT of vegetables usually), my stomach was not happy. So, for some, I'm sure it doesn't matter, but what I eat makes a huge difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. I'm finally losing weight after a 5 weeks stall, and I've eaten more processed food in the last week than in weeks. But in the end you can't just eat junk food or you'd be starving, so you have to make good choices too, and aim for a decent amount of protein at least (it's what I do really... Eat over 100g of protein, closer to 120 the better, and stay under my calories, I don't care about fat and carbs that much).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    It matters a great deal to me. Yesterday I was well under my calorie goal for the day (netting around 1300 or so), but I had 2 slices of pizza for dinner as well as a few samples of desserts from the store (I had 4 samples with a mouthful each, so I gave myself a quick add 300 calories). It fit within my calories and my macros, but I gained 1 1/2 pounds from yesterday because of the carbs and the sodium. Plus, between the fats and the sugar and hardly any vegetables (I eat A LOT of vegetables usually), my stomach was not happy. So, for some, I'm sure it doesn't matter, but what I eat makes a huge difference.

You did not gain a pound and a half since yesterday unless you ate thousands of calories over your goal.

The difference on the scale can be due to water, but that's not fat gain, so don't push that scare tactic of "oh noes, carbs and salt." That's the disordered thinking that gets a lot of people in trouble and fearing certain foods. Nothing wrong with pizza. A pound and a half difference on the scale could be from lack of hydration, lack of sleep, time between bathroom trips or hormonal changes. The human body will fluctuate up to five pounds a day and it isn't weight gain.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you put 10 gallons of gas in your car and drive it all around and use up that gas, but only put in 9 gallons later... Your car is gonna need to find an alternative energy source.

Same thing with your body. If you eat 1800 calories a day and use 2,000... you're gonna burn fat.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    It matters to me because if I eat the junk I used to eat I would not stay within my calories for the day and there for keep putting on the weight so I now choose wisely , eat a ton more, feel satisfied and lose weight :)