Respect!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So well said.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! So easy to get caught up in the little things & miss the big picture :heart:
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    i just want to add one other thing... eating a big meal on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas and/or New Year's never made anybody fat.

it's treating the 2-month long period between Halloween and New Year's as one long smorgasbord that is responsible when people pack on 10-12lbs during this time of year.

THAT'S what people should focus on, not the individual holiday meals. enjoy those days and those meals with family and loved ones. those are the memories you'll still have when your 60 or 70 or 80 years old. stick with your logging during the other days, make time to do your exercise, don't fall into the rut of thinking that just because you had a large meal on Thanksgiving that you should quit logging and that you'll start again on january 1st. that's what i think people should be thinking about this time of year (with respect to weight loss)... not whether or not their stuffing is gluten-free or if having a 2nd piece of pumpkin pie is going to make them fat.

the first step to solving a problem is to correctly define the problem. the problem is not Thanksgiving dinner. the problem is getting complacent on all of the days leading up to it and following it.

my $0.02.
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    :heart: Thanks for the reminder!:heart:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Bravo! It's hard to remember sometimes that being surrounded by too much food is a "problem" that many people in the world can only dream of having.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This needs to be pushed up to the top as a reminder for the evening crowd.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Bumping so more can read your wonderful words!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    i just want to add one other thing... eating a big meal on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas and/or New Year's never made anybody fat.

it's treating the 2-month long period between Halloween and New Year's as one long smorgasbord that is responsible when people pack on 10-12lbs during this time of year.

THAT'S what people should focus on, not the individual holiday meals. enjoy those days and those meals with family and loved ones. those are the memories you'll still have when your 60 or 70 or 80 years old. stick with your logging during the other days, make time to do your exercise, don't fall into the rut of thinking that just because you had a large meal on Thanksgiving that you should quit logging and that you'll start again on january 1st. that's what i think people should be thinking about this time of year (with respect to weight loss)... not whether or not their stuffing is gluten-free or if having a 2nd piece of pumpkin pie is going to make them fat.

the first step to solving a problem is to correctly define the problem. the problem is not Thanksgiving dinner. the problem is getting complacent on all of the days leading up to it and following it.

my $0.02.

Re-quoting this because it fills in what I missed on my original post.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bless_this_post_zps18b222b1.gif
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not an American, but can say hand on heart I still loved reading this thread :love:
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving Day is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a special meal. The meal often includes a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables. Thanksgiving Day is a time for many people to give thanks for what they have.

In the weight loss world this is a day filled with fear, restriction and frustration. Many people deal with the fear that one day will ruin progress or throw them off track. People elect to isolate themselves from friends and family to avoid eating over their calorie goal. Some people simply fear getting off track and not being able to return to appropriate eating for their weight loss goal. As a binge eater I understand how eating lots of food one day can derail me for weeks.

Thanksgiving is a day Americans are supposed to be thankful for what they have. Currently, estimates put the number of Americans living under the poverty level at more than 47 million. 17% of Americans are homeless. This Thanksgiving, if you still have something to be thankful for on a material level, you should stop worrying about calories for one day and remember Americans with basically nothing left. Before you fear feasting on too much turkey with your family and friends, remember that you are lucky to have a family and food to come home to. By focusing on calories and forgetting it's about being thankful for what we have you are missing the point entirely.

cb_ThanksgivingDinnerSoupKitchen-300x199.jpg

Well said. :) Thanks for posting this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Absolutely....
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    well said
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member