Majority of people running with dogs

Options
2»

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. You were being chased by a dog and he made you run faster? Then, because you were running faster, you decided to stop and go home? Didn't this dog give you a much better workout?

If I decided to that interject myself in your workout would that be ok, too?

Okay, so just so we are clear. Woman with dog was running. OP was behind her and overtook her, woman with dog continued running.

OPs problem.

^^^ My thoughts also. I just don't see the problem.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. You were being chased by a dog and he made you run faster? Then, because you were running faster, you decided to stop and go home? Didn't this dog give you a much better workout?

Okay, so just so we are clear. Woman with dog was running. OP was behind her and overtook her, woman with dog continued running.

OPs problem.

Dog went from being pulled to chasing the OP. Owner is a jerk, and should try just taking it for just a walk, and maybe leash train a bit better so it doesn't think people are toys to chase after.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

OPs problem.

Dog went from being pulled to chasing the OP. Owner is a jerk, and should try just taking it for just a walk, and maybe leash train a bit better so it doesn't think people are toys to chase after.

That mentality is astonishing. Was OP running backwards, how is she so confident she knew she was being chased. The whole thing smacks of bull to me. Sounds like it's being exaggerated out of nothing.

And I do not agree that people's fear and anxiety should be validated if it's not justified.

Just because the OP tells you that the Hound of the Baskervilles was salivating at her heels, which this dog clearly wasn't, doesn't mean the dog owner was doing anything wrong.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Did the dog show any signs of aggression or was it just excited and wanting to run faster? I probably would have kept running and taken a turn at some point if it was making me nervous at all. Never had this issue and neither of my dogs have ever chased anybody (although one will get excited at people or kids running around).
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The dog sounds like me when I'm driving, don't like anyone in front of me.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even a little. But dogs that chase have a prey instinct. As a conscientious runner I would be stupid to assume the dog does not consider me prey and just wants to "play".

The "hunter" instinct is always in a dog... but not the one you are referring too. The domestic dog is not a true hunter anymore, but only for playing...
    If the dog didnt show any aggressive behavior..., why worry?

I could write a chapter on dog behavior, but bottom line, unless the dog show aggression behavior... no worries.. or change street side lol

Not correct.

Strange dog, trust your gut. Two GSD's (Alsations) jump a fence, for instance, and chase you don't assume play. Thats an obvious one there, but in most cases with 'regular dogs the layman isn't going to understand it's aggressive behavior until it's too late.

And I have written chapters on dog behavior.

I wouldn't assume play if any dog jumped a fence and chased after me. That's called common sense. But way to single out a breed! Based on your avatar and name, I should not be surprised however. I consider the GSDs I have owned and trained to be "regular" dogs and don't see this as "obvious" at all.

What are the names of the works you have published on this?
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    Nope. Not even a little. But dogs that chase have a prey instinct. As a conscientious runner I would be stupid to assume the dog does not consider me prey and just wants to "play".

The "hunter" instinct is always in a dog... but not the one you are referring too. The domestic dog is not a true hunter anymore, but only for playing...
    If the dog didnt show any aggressive behavior..., why worry?

I could write a chapter on dog behavior, but bottom line, unless the dog show aggression behavior... no worries.. or change street side lol

Not correct.

Strange dog, trust your gut. Two GSD's (Alsations) jump a fence, for instance, and chase you don't assume play. Thats an obvious one there, but in most cases with 'regular dogs the layman isn't going to understand it's aggressive behavior until it's too late.

And I have written chapters on dog behavior.

I wouldn't assume play if any dog jumped a fence and chased after me. That's called common sense. But way to single out a breed! Based on your avatar and name, I should not be surprised however. I consider the GSDs I have owned and trained to be "regular" dogs and don't see this as "obvious" at all.

What are the names of the works you have published on this?

Interesting question.......
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    anyone else see the tumbleweeds? OP and Barbara Woodhouse strangely absent....
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    To all. I've been a runner since I was 12. That's rougly 32 years on and off (no running during pregnancy, after surgery, during major illness, etc.). Takes quite a bit to "spook" me. I've been hit by cars (thankfully never so terribly I couldn't walk away), chased by snakes (in Indiana water moccasins are quite aggressive), ran through the "ghetto" in the early evening when drug dealers were out and still finished my run. I've also run in animal friendly races.

Anytime I feel threatened - really threatened I bail. I felt threatened. Why not tell the dog to come back to her? Why let the dog on the end of the leash to chase me for a mile? Why let me pass in the first place if it was just to bait the dog into running. Although, thinking about it, I think the whole "lack of control" is probably what spooked me. I've had quite a few dogs over the years and would never let them do this, would never let one think chasing people is OK, would never let one run to the end of the leash after someone. And I do listen to my intuition. Why not? Our subconscious picks up on clues our conscious mind does not.

For reference, dog looked like a herding dog "mutt". Maybe Australian Shep + something else. 50 lbsish. I've owned big dogs all of my life so size really doesn't intimidate as much as intent. A small dog can inflict damage if it wants. I was attacked by a Cocker Spaniel once and that little sucker tore the daylights out of my ankle before I kicked him in the head.

Noteworthy is I don't like taking antibiotics unless I have to. I'm allergic to most of them and the ones they give for dog bites are really strong. I know. I've had to take them.
  • leslisa
    Options
    I run with my dog and he has no interest in anyone else apart from other dogs.:laugh: :laugh: "Although he did get very confussed while out on the bike the other morning" :laugh: :laugh: when another one zoomed past when he wasn't looking and he thought it was me that had picked up some manic speed and he did his grumble that he does when I go too fast for him! He pelted back when I whistled him!!

I have been out running before though, thought my heel was sticking a bit to my pavement, turned round and a boxer puppy was trying to chase my feet!

That is one cool dog if he can ride a bike ........:laugh: :laugh:

He still has stabilizer on his, but he's working up to 2 wheels! :happy:

I thought only squirrels and birds rode bikes. Although there is a bulldog here who surfs!

:laugh: :laugh:
  • leslisa
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous.

The woman was slower than you, YOU passed HER. That's the most passive 'Baiting' I've ever heard of.

If you're that sensitive that you can't run with others, get a treadmill and run at home.

Yes, I'm sure thats it. Your Santa powers are granting you all seeing, al knowing powers. Let's dismiss anyones concerns out of hand and tell them if they don't like it they can leave. because thats really super productive and totally non douchey.

Well this has ruined my day, someone on a internet doesn't like me.

All I am going by is the post that was given. Nothing she has said suggests that she's right.

If you don't like it, tough.

So what your saying is that she should use me to bait her dog into running. Interesting. I have run around dogs many times with no worry so I'll still follow my instincts, thanks. They've kept me fairly safe this long. Not that I haven't ever gotten nailed by some person or animal but thankfully it's few and far between.

To be honest, I feel like I have a right to be there without being harassed. I pay my home owner fees just like everyone else around here (both local and master). I don't want bikers to fixate on me and try to run me over. I'd much rather have the ones to yell to me they are coming up so I can get out of the way. I don't appreciate people who walk three strollers wide on the golf cart/exercise paths and won't move even though there is a ditch on one side and a wall on the other. I will intentionally stop in the path so they can work out how they can get around me. I'm not getting knee deep in mud or flattening against a wall just because they are so busy talking they can't temporarily walk one behind the other.
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    And I am laughing my *kitten* out. :laugh: