Scale vs Inches

Options
Are you more focused on what you see on the scale or the inches you've lost (or gained) and how you feel? A couple of days ago I jumped on the scale because I felt lighter just to see that I've gained 5 pounds somehow. My clothes (specifically my uniforms) fit a lot better than they used to but I'm somehow gained 5 pounds. I was so devastated and still am but I took a step back and asked myself how I felt. I feel stronger, healthier, more energetic and ready to take on the world than I used to. Now, I should feel great that I feel this way but there is that something in the back of my mind that just wishes I didn't weigh so much. In my line of work, we are suppose to weigh a certain amount and I am significantly over that. Although I feel healthy and strong, the number I want to see is not reflected on the scale. I guess I just don't know how to lose weight anymore.

I talked to a personal trainer a few days ago and told her what I was thinking. She proceeded to tell me that pounds don't just drop off; and if they do in a matter of days or weeks sometimes, it's pretty much all water weight and muscle. This opened my eyes a little.

I guess my purpose of writing this post is to see what everyone is really focused on. Pounds or inches? And ideas on what people think I should do (don't ask about my diary, I haven't posted in there for a long time on purpose) and what you think of what the personal trainer said. Do you agree? Or is it more complicated than that?

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Inches.

(...is how I should answer this question....!)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "I simply don't think it's worth worrying about what your weight should be. Rather, worry about what your health, functionality, performance, and physique should be. Weight will settle where it needs to be once those things are optimized."

-Steve Troutman
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    inches!
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Inches all the way.

Sometimes I see no scale change but then I check out my measurements and find I'm getting smaller.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I take both kinds of measurements and celebrate the one that makes my progress look better.

Why? The numbers don't really mean anything. It's my health and how I feel that matters. Feeling like I'm making good progress --> Being happy and motivated --> Better workouts --> Even more progress.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Inches and photos.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I get what people are saying with inches, but I just don't feel that way right now. Maybe once I get out of the 'obese' category I will feel differently. But I feel like when you are truly overweight, you worry more about pounds. And as you get further down the road and closer to goal, you worry more about inches.
  • beagle1983
    beagle1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sucks, because "pounds" is so drilled into us as the standard measurement for weight loss. But I have had times in my life where I weighed more, but wore a smaller size (and was much more toned and looked better) than when I weighed less but was more fat. So now when I get discouraged, I think of how I feel and how my clothes fit, because that's the main goal anyway- to look better and feel better. A lb of muscle is way smaller (takes up less space) than a lb of fat!
  • klerato
    Options
    Based on your pins,I know numbers matter and are important in your career. I recently switched my focus because my clothes look great on me yet my scale weight is moving like a turtle. I work out alot but realize that diet matters significantly to see results on the scale;I decided not to weigh for awhile(so i wont feel sad) and when I notice my goal jeans are looking good,I will weigh again.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    scale, until it starts being a *****, then inches until the scale re-co-operates :p
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Inches.

(...is how I should answer this question....!)

Amen,,, I wish I could not ever look at the scale, but we have been conditioned to look, Grrrr:angry::grumble: :grumble:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Based on your pins,I know numbers matter and are important in your career. I recently switched my focus because my clothes look great on me yet my scale weight is moving like a turtle. I work out alot but realize that diet matters significantly to see results on the scale;I decided not to weigh for awhile(so i wont feel sad) and when I notice my goal jeans are looking good,I will weigh again.

Ditto that!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Inches and BF%...I'm currently 6 Lbs heavier than I was when I hit my goal...arbitrary scale weight is arbitrary....

20121228_165238.jpg

^^^^Here's me last February @ 185 Lbs...

20131124_151450.jpg

^^^Now at 186 Lbs.

Scale weight is stupid and irrelevant.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Are you more focused on what you see on the scale or the inches you've lost (or gained) and how you feel? A couple of days ago I jumped on the scale because I felt lighter just to see that I've gained 5 pounds somehow. My clothes (specifically my uniforms) fit a lot better than they used to but I'm somehow gained 5 pounds. I was so devastated and still am but I took a step back and asked myself how I felt. I feel stronger, healthier, more energetic and ready to take on the world than I used to. Now, I should feel great that I feel this way but there is that something in the back of my mind that just wishes I didn't weigh so much. In my line of work, we are suppose to weigh a certain amount and I am significantly over that. Although I feel healthy and strong, the number I want to see is not reflected on the scale. I guess I just don't know how to lose weight anymore.

I talked to a personal trainer a few days ago and told her what I was thinking. She proceeded to tell me that pounds don't just drop off; and if they do in a matter of days or weeks sometimes, it's pretty much all water weight and muscle. This opened my eyes a little.

I guess my purpose of writing this post is to see what everyone is really focused on. Pounds or inches? And ideas on what people think I should do (don't ask about my diary, I haven't posted in there for a long time on purpose) and what you think of what the personal trainer said. Do you agree? Or is it more complicated than that?

same shirt... you tell me how important the number on the scale is

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

no more than 4lbs lighter than the picture on the right. I am flexing a bit to better show off my abs

10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I step on the scale daily, it helps keep me on track. I've only lost 4-6lbs in the last year, but my body has changed so much. I do still have 45-55lbs to lose, but I know it will happen eventually.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had been focusing on pounds because I wanted the number on the scale to be around 120ish. I don't think that I will be going for that any longer. I stopped weighing myself November 1st to see if I can get rid of my love/hate relationship with the scale and love my body without seeing a number. Last weigh in was 131.4lbs. I started back in April at 163lbs which was my heaviest and will never get back to that point. I have felt so amazing this past month and have dropped 2 pant sizes. I think I am focusing now on a few last inches and then work on maintaining.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Inches for sure. I don't carry a scale around with me so that I can jump on it and show people my weight.

ETA: I am about 3 lbs heavier than I was in high school but wearing a size smaller :)
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    Options

no more than 4lbs lighter than the picture on the right. I am flexing a bit to better show off my abs

#fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I step on the scale daily, it helps keep me on track. I've only lost 4-6lbs in the last year, but my body has changed so much. I do still have 45-55lbs to lose, but I know it will happen eventually.

I use scale, inches, photos and if I could, Body Fat % (which I do, but it's those crappy Internet calculators that aren't very accurate). Losing weight can be lethargic and it may require as many motivation elements as possible to make it happen. It's all a mind game.

Look at these pictures in the quote. She have lost a few pounds, yet in Sarahrbraun's pictures she looks like she has lost a lot! Btw, awesome job Sarahrbraun!

I much rather do weight training because it makes me feel empowered, toned, and motivated. I also try to stay away from cardio machines, much rather do aerobics, steps aerobics, kickboxing... no reason in particular, it just that I find the cardio machines boring. My point is that working out is a "me" time, and "me" time should be fun to do. Some people have a general idea of what "working out" and "losing weight" is or should be... but honestly, you should educate yourself and make the process as much fun as you can. THAT motivates me a whole lot than just doing cardio machines because "that's the right thing to do".

Here's an article of what I am trying to explain (it helped me understand the gap between how awesome I was feeling in terms of clothing and fitness and the numbers in the scale... and sometimes tape measurements):

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I hope this helps!
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When you are obese I think it's probably a good idea to regularly weigh yourself to get that feedback. But when you get to a healthier weight, it's best to focus on your performance and size measurements rather than your weight. Weight can become more of a general indicator at that point.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I use scale, inches, photos and if I could, Body Fat % (which I do, but it's those crappy Internet calculators that aren't very accurate). Losing weight can be lethargic and it may require as many motivation elements as possible to make it happen. It's all a mind game.

Look at these pictures in the quote. She have lost a few pounds, yet in Sarahrbraun's pictures she looks like she has lost a lot! Btw, awesome job Sarahrbraun!

I much rather do weight training because it makes me feel empowered, toned, and motivated. I also try to stay away from cardio machines, much rather do aerobics, steps aerobics, kickboxing... no reason in particular, it just that I find the cardio machines boring. My point is that working out is a "me" time, and "me" time should be fun to do. Some people have a general idea of what "working out" and "losing weight" is or should be... but honestly, you should educate yourself and make the process as much fun as you can. THAT motivates me a whole lot than just doing cardio machines because "that's the right thing to do".

Here's an article of what I am trying to explain (it helped me understand the gap between how awesome I was feeling in terms of clothing and fitness and the numbers in the scale... and sometimes tape measurements):

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I hope this helps!

thank you for all the compliments.

the scale "matters", but I don't let it validate me anymore. As a matter of fact, I "gained" a pound overnight from not drinking enough water yesterday. That means today I am going to try even harder to get it in ( I have a weigh in for my weight loss challenge on Wednesday). One of my biggest validations right now is that 2 years ago I needed 3 asthma meds ( albuterol, advair and singulair) to have good lung capacity. The last 6 months, I am down to just my albuterol before workouts! Another one is that in the last year, I got out of the smith machine and into the power rack, AND added 20+lbs to my squat weight. My profile pic is my legs--super tight!

I give most of the credit for my amazing body transformation to my trainers ( and cheerleaders) Justin and Brian. For young men, they are very wise, and they have been sweet enough to share all their knowledge with me. Brian trains me like a man, and I LIKE it.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Inches. My whole post-puberty life, I've weighed a lot more than my measurements belied. Even at 275lbs, nobody thought I weighed that much. What does the scale matter if I am happy with my size?