Who loves GYROS?

Options
EMTFreakGirl
EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
I love them! But they are not so great for my diet. :noway: I've come up with a "healthier" version that I enjoy a couple times a week.
1 MSF Griller, grilled and cut into strips.
5 grape tomatoes, quartered
15 grams nappa cabbage, shredded
15 grams Litehouse OPA Greek feta-dill dressing
1 Don Poncho, High fiber, low-carb wrap.

The taste is so close (the "feel" spot on!) and the "numbers" tell the tale.
cal/carb/fat/protein
Typical restaurant gyro: 417/32/22/17
My version: 275/17/13/23

LESS calories. LESS carbs. LESS fat, and MORE protein. Best part is that it is DELISH! (and quick to put together.) Just had one for lunch and had to share because it is so YUM!!!!!

edited due to a grammatical error...HATE it when that happens! :blushing:

Replies

• stacnm
    stacnm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! What is an MSF Griller and where can you purchase them? Thanks!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    Options
    Thanks for posting! What is an MSF Griller and where can you purchase them? Thanks!

I use the Morning Star Farms Grillers Prime. They are veggie burgers...that taste wonderful! :wink:
    They carry them at the small market in my even smaller town, :wink: but charge a LOT for them. I get them at Walmart, in the vegetarian frozen food section for approx $3 for a box of 4.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sounds great but I've never heard of most of those things :(
  • EMTFreakGirl
    Options

1 MSF Griller, grilled and cut into strips. VEGITARIAN FROZEN FOOD SECTION
    5 grape tomatoes, quartered PRODUCE SECTION
    15 grams nappa cabbage, shredded ALSO KNOWN AS CHINESE CABBAGE
    15 grams Litehouse OPA Greek feta-dill dressing PRODUCE SECTION
    1 Don Poncho, High fiber, low-carb wrap. WITH ALL THE OTHER TORTILLAS

I posted the brands that I can get where I live, I'm sure you can find something similar wherever you live and shop.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy regular Gyros, for sure, but I would definitely give these a try. I like experimenting with different things, too!

Thanks for sharing your idea.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Me Yum, those things are awesome :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

1 MSF Griller, grilled and cut into strips. VEGITARIAN FROZEN FOOD SECTION
    5 grape tomatoes, quartered PRODUCE SECTION
    15 grams nappa cabbage, shredded ALSO KNOWN AS CHINESE CABBAGE
    15 grams Litehouse OPA Greek feta-dill dressing PRODUCE SECTION
    1 Don Poncho, High fiber, low-carb wrap. WITH ALL THE OTHER TORTILLAS

I posted the brands that I can get where I live, I'm sure you can find something similar wherever you live and shop.

Thank you! I might check it out tomorrow...
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I like doing that, taking my favorite restaurant/eatery type foods and making them myself, that way I know exactly what goes in it (and that there's not a lot of chemicals and preservatives in it!) and it's usually way healthier my way. I just did something similar with Starbucks Spinach & Feta Wrap, made it myself (even adding in some extra ingredients like mushrooms & artichoke hearts) and it is only 1/2 the amount of calories as if I were to buy it from Starbucks, not to mention it saves my wallet!!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the actual translation of the word Gyros (or Yiros as it is spelt phonetically in adelaide) is to describe meat cooked on a vertical spit. the most common way to serve the meat is in a pita wrap with salad a garlic sauce (and chips if you are a cypriot). but the meal it self isnt actually a gyros. its just the way that the western world has decided to take that word and have it decribe the whole dish rather than just the meat.
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Looking forward to trying this!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cool...but I'll stick with the original...those calories and macros work just fine. I'm not afraid of carbs and under 500 calories is pretty low calorie for me.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    gyro.jpg

Thanks but I will take mine like this^^ 500 calories and not bad numbers it is worth it to have the REAL thing.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    Options
    I am so jealous of those of you who CAN fit the real thing into your daily numbers. Unfortunately, I am NOT one of them. I am trying to treat this journey as one of sustainability and am trying to choose more wisely. I am one to whom too many carbs are poison! For those that try it, let me know what you think! :bigsmile:
  • euonymust
    Options
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    Looking forward to trying these! (and thanks for the explanation of MSF Griller's....I didn't know what they were either!)