How to survive the first week of the diet?

Options
I always cheat at day 3, then eat healthy the next day and then cheat again. How can i break this bad pattern?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't go on "a diet". Eat the foods you like to eat, and fit them into your calorie goal. Make whatever adjustments you see fit, gradually and over time. Only make changes you know you're going to stick with.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Start with only a moderate calorie deficit. Then you're not starving.

Aim for protein and fiber at every meal and snack.

Avoid fat-free/non-fat/low-fat/sugar-free/no-sugar-added/lite/100-calorie/non-foods. Real fat helps you to feel satisfied... especially when combined with protein and fiber.

Drink lots of water/decaf teas and other non-alcoholic/non-caffeinated drinks.

But yeah... first, make sure you are not actually starving yourself.
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just don't look at it as a "diet",I try to make good choices and make sure I stay within my daily calories. If I want a piece of pizza, I have a piece of pizza. I started my Christmas baking this weekend and of course had to have a cookie to make sure that they tasted alright. The difference is that I had "one" cookie instead of five. Good luck with everything:smile:
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't make your diet so strict where you count down the days until you don't have to diet anymore. Focus on making smart, lasting changes to your lifestyle that aren't going to make you miserable.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Start slowly, don't go from 0-100 in one day and not think there will be resistance.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just don't look at it as a "diet",I try to make good choices and make sure I stay within my daily calories. If I want a piece of pizza, I have a piece of pizza. I started my Christmas baking this weekend and of course had to have a cookie to make sure that they tasted alright. The difference is that I had "one" cookie instead of five. Good luck with everything:smile:

Exactly this. :-) No "diet" - switch up your intake amount.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    are you actually hungry at 3 or are you feeling like you've been denying yourself?
  • visabsoluta
    Options
    I am not actually hungry at 3, i just cant resist junk food at day 3 while i easily resist at day 1 and 2. It is always the third day and all i want is to survive the first week :(
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you can do is just keep at it. Forgive yourself, don't try "make up" for cheating by over-restricting, as it will just lead to binging.
    Self-control is like a muscle; the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Give yourself time and make sure your goals and expectations are reasonable, or you're just setting yourself up for failure.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I am not actually hungry at 3, i just cant resist junk food at day 3 while i easily resist at day 1 and 2. It is always the third day and all i want is to survive the first week :(

oh right, gotcha.

well why not factor in say 200 cals of junk each day. once you're good with that, factor in 150, then 100, then 100 every second day.... wean yourself off, as it were.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I guarantee those feelings come from being too restrictive. It's from the all-or-nothing mindset. Don't skip all the junk food... add some in and track the calories as part of a reasonable calorie target. Aim for losing 1/2 a pound weekly... if you can stick to that, you can consider changing it to something more aggressive if that is appropriate.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

I guarantee those feelings come from being too restrictive. It's from the all-or-nothing mindset. Don't skip all the junk food... add some in and track the calories as part of a reasonable calorie target. Aim for losing 1/2 a pound weekly... if you can stick to that, you can consider changing it to something more aggressive if that is appropriate.

^^ This
  • visabsoluta
    Options
    Thanks for the advices. I will stop being too restrictive for now and see how it goes. Looking at it as a 'diet' makes things harder i guess