Any advice for a newby runner?

Options
I just started couch 2 5k training on a treadmill (there is already a ft of snow outside).

I havent really run in about 15 yrs, since highschool. Back then I could manage to run 3/4 of a mile before asthma forced me to stop. As I got older, my cardio sucked and I could manage about 60 seconds last time I tried before I was seeing stars. Turns out it was food allergies giving me asthma so I am giving it a second go. Im in week 2 of the program and I want to make it to the end and then maybe try my hand at a 5k race in the spring.

Any helpful tips for running? not injurying myself? tips of getting from treadmill to outside once the snow is gone? tips for running as a currently overweight person?

My shoes suck, but I have laced them according to my feet so they feel pretty good for now. In January there will be money in my WSA again and I'll replace them. Accepting recommendations on shoes too.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Two words. Slow down.

Try to do the run portions at a pace at which you can sustain a conversation. If you feel like your heart is going to explode out of your chest, you are trying to run too fast. Slow down. Then slow down some more.
  • Marleen55
    Options
    I would advise you to start out with a walk/run program like the one from Jeff Galloway. It will help you with keeping injury-free while developing your cardio and endurance. Also, there are a lot of people in longer races that use walk/run to go faster in the last part of the race.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Two words. Slow down.

This.

Distance first, speed comes later. Slow down until you think you're running too slow - and then slow down some more.

I went from couch potato to 10k in under 12 weeks following a "Learn to 10k" walk/run program. It's all doable - I didn't suffer a single injury - you just have to take it sloooooooow.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    In, for the information.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll have to spend some time on Jeff Galloway's website.

I found a couch to 5k program online for the treadmill. I've been following that. It alternates walking and running. So far I am doing ok. I have to set my run for at least 4.2mph or the treadmill tries to trip me. I think the band is a little lose, it does the same thing when I try to walk slower than 2.5. Its not so fast I get out of breath, but I wouldnt be able to carry on a conversation either, which could be more of an indicator of my fitness level.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For comfort don't forget a good sports bra.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'd try to run outside when you can, or the transition will be hard. Dressed appropriately, you can run in any weather. I live in MN and run outdoors all year round. They clear the roads right? I just wait until the plows go through.
  • CorlissaEats
    Options
    I'd try to run outside when you can, or the transition will be hard. Dressed appropriately, you can run in any weather. I live in MN and run outdoors all year round. They clear the roads right? I just wait until the plows go through.

nope, not well enough to be ice-free. I live in rural northern Alberta. It never really gets warm enough for the roads to clear. I could run in the city but it would be on my lunch hour and then I would be too sweaty for the afternoon. Even the runners I do know only go occaisionally in the winter. Sidewalks can be bad all winter long.
  • wilsoje74
    Options

nope, not well enough to be ice-free. I live in rural northern Alberta. It never really gets warm enough for the roads to clear. I could run in the city but it would be on my lunch hour and then I would be too sweaty for the afternoon. Even the runners I do know only go occaisionally in the winter. Sidewalks can be bad all winter long.

There are spikes you can get to put on your shoes.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Indoor track work will be helpful, as I feel that treadmill to surface is quite a difference. Run slow, don't worry about your pace, as that will come. I began running as a severly overweight person. Knee pain will happen, so look around for strength training exercises that will help build your knees.

Invest in good shoes ASAP. A running shoe store is ideal, but if that is not an option, Runner's World maintains a great guide to shoes online. I wear Saucony, but it's all about what works best for you.

Good luck! It's addictive and a great way to shed pounds.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I would advise you to start out with a walk/run program like the one from Jeff Galloway.

OP is doing Couch to 5K which incorporates run/walk intervals like Galloway, only the goal is to get you to the point where you don't need to use the walk breaks any more, unlike Galloway who advocates keeping the walk in all the way through your 100 mile race (that's tongue in cheek).
  • tuppence1984
    tuppence1984 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with slowly. Make sure you also walk a little, then stretch and then walk quicker/jog from there. Im assuming you are a woman and the sports bra is key as you will do some damage otherwise. Depending on how big you are, ENEL are a good brand as are Triumph Extreme or Bendon. As for shoes, I always wear ASICS as they are a little wider at the top. But go to a proper running shop who offer a free session to see which fit you. You can always buy them a bit cheaper later when you know which to buy.

Finally as for transition, go with grass or cross country walks/runs to start with when the weather allows. The style is different on the road, you can always run on the road later. AND dont forget that a bad run is better than no run, so just enjoy.
  • CorlissaEats
    Options
    LOL. Yes, I'm a woman. And sportsbra is on my radar, no free cash at the moment. I'm not terribly large chested so a well fitted bra and an undershirt is working out for me. I'm actually having more of an issue with my *kitten* bouncing along behind me playing catchup. :laugh: :blushing:
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on slowing down. The worst way to begin running is going out too fast and too long. Only increase mileage 10% per week. It is better to slow down and keep form than it is to speed up and hurt yourself. I would suggest New Balance Good Form Running Clinic if you can find it near you.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not to derail the thread, but why do people advocate run/walk programs? When I began running long ago (before I gained back all my weight and stopped), I just did straight distance that I built up over time.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed when I started running was that my form was garbage. I was stumbling and bumbling around and expending more downward force than I was forward force. I was essentially wasting all of my energy stamping hard on the ground and swinging my arms wildly. Once I figured out how to run properly, I was able to drastically improve my time and speed. Try to glide across the ground when you run. Start with smaller strides and minimize how hard you impact the ground. Realize that running is physics. The goal is to expend energy efficiently in a forward motion, not into the ground. It is hard to explain, but I hope you get the point. Look into good running form and you will notice an improvement.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Not to derail the thread, but why do people advocate run/walk programs? When I began running long ago (before I gained back all my weight and stopped), I just did straight distance that I built up over time.

It really depends on your starting point. The less fit you are, the harder it is to get started.

The fun/walk method allows one to start to build aerobic fitness without going aenerobic and to accumulate time on their feet. I think it's a great way to get started, but don't advocate it for all training and racing like Galloway.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    LOL. Yes, I'm a woman. And sportsbra is on my radar, no free cash at the moment. I'm not terribly large chested so a well fitted bra and an undershirt is working out for me. I'm actually having more of an issue with my *kitten* bouncing along behind me playing catchup. :laugh: :blushing:

I have this @$$ problem too!!! I've been told that setting the treadmill at a 1% or 1.5% incline makes it more true to outdoor running. Now with that being said... I wouldn't jump to that right away. I have just started to do this and I have been running on and off since I joined the military in 1998 and consistently since 2011 and there are still days that I have to hold on to the heart rate monitors like handle bars!!! I am not a natural runner. After all these years I still hate it but it give me the most burn for the limited amount of work out time I have! Take it slow. (like everyone else said) and listen to the Madonna station on Pandora... LOL it works for me anyways some of the songs I haven't heard in so long I get retarded excited and start mouthing the words along with the song... which I have noticed really helps with breath control. If Madonna or the late 80's early 90's doesn't float your boat.... find something that will :) Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress
  • wilsoje74
    Options

I tried this and always quit. Doing intervals was the oh thing that worked. I would have started out running one block!!! Why not run a block, walk two and repeat