Lifting Noob

Options
So I just "lifted" for the 1st time. I was at the gym, running as usual, and decided to use some of the weight machines out of the blue. I've been wanting to get into it, but don't really know what I'm doing.

So here's my question: Should lifting get you out of breath/sweaty?

I was doing probably 3-5 sets of 10 reps until I felt like my muscles couldn't do it anymore. Then I'd take a quick break and push out 5 more reps. I used (and I'm going to sound like a super noob describing these machines) the machine where you pull down the bar hanging above you, the one where you crunch the weight from your shoulders, and the chest press machine - all set to 50 lbs. I found my muscles getting exhausted, but I didn't sweat nor breathe harder. Is this the norm for weight lifting verses the heavy breathing/sweating of cardio? Or am I doing it wrong - Should I be pushing harder? Is 50 lbs a good starting weight? Should I be doing more reps with less weight? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

Extra details: I'm a 25 year old 5'5" female weighing 183 lbs down from 220 this past summer.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- depending on how little rest you take.

Not sure why you were under the impression it wasn't going to be work.... but it is.
  • kdlaw69
    kdlaw69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many "how to" books about weight lifting. I recommend body for life to start with. It will explain each exercise, what it is called and the proper form to use. Good luck with you weight loss, and congrats on the progress you have already made!
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    yes- depending on how little rest you take.

Not sure why you were under the impression it wasn't going to be work.... but it is.

I think you may have misunderstood me, I was expecting it to be hard, and was consequently surprised when I wasn't getting out of breath and sweaty. I suspect I just wasn't doing it properly.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm considering taking a lifting class at school in the spring term. I'll try to find this book for the time being.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you can do 10 reps, you probably want to up the weight until you are doing about 5 reps for each set.

Of course, when things start getting heavy you really want to be sure of your form, so I think the lifting class is an awesome idea. In the meantime, are there staff at the gym you could ask for advice? Or maybe some friendly looking fellow-lifter?

Welcome to lifting! :flowerforyou:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you can do 5 sets of 10 you aren't going heavy enough. And to answer the first question if you are working hard yes you will be panting and trying to catch your breath.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you can do 5 sets of 10 you aren't going heavy enough. And to answer the first question if you are working hard yes you will be panting and trying to catch your breath.

agreed... you want to just barely be able to complete that 5th rep, and each set should be more exhausting than the last. i sweat just as much, if not more during strength as i do during cardio... i'm talking streams running into my eyes, dripping onto the floor, but that's normal for me...