Need advice on Heavy Lifting+DVDs with wts

Options
I need to get back focused so this is my 30 day Workout plan 11/25-12/25
Monday-Jillian Michaels Kick Boxing, Tuesday-Billy Blanks workout, Wednesday-Full Body Strength Training, Thursday- Biggest Loser Workout, Friday-Upper Body Strength Training, Saturday-Lower Body Strength Training, Sunday Treadmill

I don't want to over work my muscles to where I won't gain muscle with strength training at the gym. I just read the new rules of lifting for women and I'm ready to start lifting weights and working my way up to heavy weights as my body will allow me. With the Biggest Loser DVD and Jillian Michaels workout DVDs they incorporate dumb bells. I use 5 lb. dumb bells for some of the workouts but most of them I use 10 lb. dumb bells.

I want to know if me using weights with the DVD will affect my rest days of strength training. I know that I'm supposed to rest my muscles. The DVDs use the weights for a few workouts and nothing strenuous, but I just wanted to make sure before I get started.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ?
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    bump
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    When do you rest? You have something planned everyday. Your body will be able to handle a lot 'beating' so I don't think the light weights will do too much to you. It's more about intensity at this point. I feel like your central nervous system is going to be fried before your muscles physically fatigue. I haven't read that book (seems like A LOT of women are reading it), but i'm sure it covers mental recovery as much as physical recovery. I'd say give it a shot and see how you feel after about 2-4 weeks.

And it looks like your heavy training are bunched fairly close together on Wed., Fri., and Sat. Maybe move the Wed workout up in the week
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I chose those days because they are the only days that I'm available to go to the gym. I can rest on Sunday I just chose not to for no apparent reason. I guess I just want to do something everyday so I won't fall off. When I get really good results I will take the cardio down.
  • jeopardy3
    jeopardy3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think the dvds are a necessary prep before you start the new rules lifting. I started lifting for the first time with that program over a year ago. I was very weak, especially in my upper body, but by the time I finished the complete plan (5 months later) I'd gain a lot of strength and definition. I only lost 10 lbs, but went down 2 sizes. Unfortunately I had surgery in February and could not do any heavy lifting for 4 months. It took me some time to get back into the groove of things, but I just started the program again 6 weeks ago, really focusing on my food this time and I'm much stronger. Starting cycle 2 on Wednesday.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I'm only doing the DVDs for cardio not for the weights. I just so happen to like these particular workouts and I try to do what I enjoy. If they didn't have weights I would still do them. I haven't found any other interval training that I like that I can do at home yet.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    and this is meant to be getting you ready for New Rules?
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Let me clarify: I have read the book. I'm going to do the weight training program. On days that I'm not lifting weights, I'm doing interval training which is what the book suggested. It only stated yoga and pilates for examples of interval training but I any interval training of my choice. I was just wondering if I was working my muscles to much by doing the DVD's that incl light weights eventhough the weight workouts are fast cardio and not strength training?

I don't need to get ready for lifting. That is not why I'm doing the DVDs. I'm doing the DVDs because I also need to incl cardio workouts with the strength training on opposite days.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Let me clarify: I have read the book. I'm going to do the weight training program. On days that I'm not lifting weights, I'm doing interval training which is what the book suggested. It only stated yoga and pilates for examples of interval training but I any interval training of my choice. I was just wondering if I was working my muscles to much by doing the DVD's that incl light weights eventhough the weight workouts are fast cardio and not strength training?

I don't need to get ready for lifting. That is not why I'm doing the DVDs. I'm doing the DVDs because I also need to incl cardio workouts with the strength training on opposite days.

Are you sure the book suggested yoga and pilates for interval training?

Once you start doing the workouts, if you feel tired or aren't progressing, then I'd cut out the DVD's but until you are doing it, there is no way to know if it is going to be too much for you.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I know what you mean nz_deevaa. As far as exercising I know that it won't be too much for me because I pretty much do cardio every day. I know that my body can handle the cardio and the strength training possibly.

My question was about working my muscles. My goal is to build muscle and lose fat. I know that you are supposed to allow your muscles to rest at least 1 day between strength training. My cardio workouts incl using weights (that are light vs heavy), I wanted to know if this will affect my results. If you do strength training everyday on the same muscle, as far as what I've learned, you can not build muscles because you are not allowing your muscles to repair themselves.

With DVD workouts I use 5-10lb dumb bells to work my arms while doing cardio.

I basically wanted to know if that is bad to do if I'm trying to build.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    As I said previously, you'll know when you are doing too much because you won't be able to progress with your lifting.

Once you stall, you'll either have to eat more food, or do less cardio/light weights.

You'll know that point when you get there.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will have any effect on your training. If anything, using that light of weights will be endurance training, nothing to do with strength. But if you feel like it is too much after a few weeks adjustment time, then use even smaller weights or none at all. Just keep that focus on the cardio portion and let your real focus be on the weight training. Disclaimer, I am no expert, just a normal ol' person muddling through this the best I can, like you.